If a LEO grabs your gun...

This is a discussion on If a LEO grabs your gun... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets say you are minding your own business and a LEO decides to walk up behind you and un-holster your gun because he plans to ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If a LEO grabs your gun...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

If a LEO grabs your gun...

Lets say you are minding your own business and a LEO decides to walk up behind you and un-holster your gun because he plans to "detain" you. You didn't see or hear him coming... naturally you are going to bat, elbow or swing at whomever is trying to take your gun.

Then after you turn around you realize you just popped a LEO in the mouth and busted his lip...

How would that play out?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

How would that play out? With lots of bail money

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Lets say you are minding your own business and a LEO decides to walk up behind you and un-holster your gun because he plans to "detain" you. You didn't see or hear him coming... naturally you are going to bat, elbow or swing at whomever is trying to take your gun.

Then after you turn around you realize you just popped a LEO in the mouth and busted his lip...

How would that play out?
    With profuse apologies and lots of bail money.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I mean legally... it would be rather stupid for anyone to walk up behind anyone else and attempt to take their gun.

One of the worst things you could ever do is physically resist a Police Officer. In that situation I would stand down immediately after learning it was a cop. I can't imagine any court in the land would convict you for taking purely defensive action though

last time I checked a LEO needs to identify himself before taking action, if he fails to do so, then if he gets a busted lip oh well...
    THIS sheep's got fangs!

1st off that would never happen.... and if it did I would be in deep caca because he would be cut all to heck if not having a TDI removed from his neck.

LEO's are not trained to "just walk up behind and unholster a person's gun."

First the officer would probably have his hand on his own gun or have his gun down by his side (in hand).

He would identify himself and give some sort of "command" to stop, please keep you hand away from your gun.... and so on....

"Space" between an officer and the "other person" is his best defense/offense... a LEO will never just walk up and try to disarm the person... he would tackle the person or some other offensive move first (if he had probable cause)... without "cause"... they will just verbally confront as the first step in the process.
    Last edited by Bumper; February 24th, 2010 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Toned down rhetoric. Let's play nice.....
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

If that happened to me I'd just whip a matrix move on him and walk up the wall.

Not tooo good....
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanKnight View Post
    last time I checked a LEO needs to identify himself before taking action, if he fails to do so, then if he gets a busted lip oh well...
    There is no legal requirement for a LEO to identify himself before taking action. There are certainly situations where it would be wise to do so. There are other situations where it would be foolish to do so.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I would use my magical time machine ring to go back in time 30 seconds so I could sneak up behind the LEO before he sneaks up behind me.

What? Magical time machine rings are silly and nonsensical?

Just because you can't cite examples doesn't mean it hasn't or won't ever happen.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Originally Posted by Beachbumcook

think so?

Denver Post A 30-year-old Colorado Springs officer shot and killed Wednesday morning died as a result of a single gunshot wound to the head, the El Paso County Coroner's Office said Thursday.

Jared Jensen was trying to apprehend a fugitive suspected of attempted first-degree murder when he was killed at close range. Jensen hadn't even pulled his gun out of his holster or had a chance to fire a shot.
    The defense was that Jensen grabbed the defendant from behind and failed to identify himself as a police officer

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post

First the officer would probably have his hand on his own gun or have his gun down by his side (in hand).

He would identify himself and give some sort of "command" to stop, please keep you hand away from your gun.... and so on....

"Space" between an officer and the "other person" is his best defense/offense... a LEO will never just walk up and try to disarm the person... he would tackle the person or some other offensive move first (if he had probable cause)... without "cause"... they will just verbally confront as the first step in the process.
    I would say most security guards are not trained to walk up behind someone and try to disarm them. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen or a police office couldn't do it. Police officers are not exempt from stupid.

Firearm Discussion • View topic - Well it happened

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Guys, some of these questions about border on ridiculous. I believe I can reasonably assure you that if an Officer is about to try to disarm you their presence will be known. I've been a LEO for 16 years, while I have seen some Officers do things a little different most all departments train on a force continuim. Let's say they start with presence, then go to verbal commands, empty hands, mace, oc, taser, etc. Of course deadly force if it is so justified. I would say that you would be met with verbal commands until whatever "perceived" threat is cleared up.

Quote Originally Posted by kbox View Post
    Guys, some of these questions about border on ridiculous. I believe I can reasonably assure you that if an Officer is about to try to disarm you their presence will be known. I've been a LEO for 16 years, while I have seen some Officers do things a little different most all departments train on a force continuim. Let's say they start with presence, then go to verbal commands, empty hands, mace, oc, taser, etc. Of course deadly force if it is so justified. I would say that you would be met with verbal commands until whatever "perceived" threat is cleared up.
    My point exactly... or I think I made the same point above.
    Last edited by Bumper; February 24th, 2010 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Edited more of the rhetoric.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links