Have You Ever Deterred a Crime?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Deterred a Crime? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i've been carrying a gun for many years now. for the last few, i've carried openly more often. when i carried concealed, there have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Deterred a Crime?

Have You Ever Deterred a Crime?

i've been carrying a gun for many years now. for the last few, i've carried openly more often. when i carried concealed, there have been times when i've needed to draw, or at least put my hand on my gun. i always felt horrible afterwards, and i always hope i never have to again.

i've noticed that since i began to OC, the necessity of doing so has nearly disappeared. i've posted a few experiences where, i believe, my openly carried gun averted a crime, situations where, if i'd been concealing, i might have had to draw on someone.

for you that open carry: have you, or are you aware of any instances where your openly carried gun deterred a crime from happening? i'm not trying to prove anything, or collect data, i just like to hear people's stories.

open carry seems to be working for me. my neighborhood isn't the greatest in the world; compared to the rest of my city, crime is a bit higher. contrary to other parts of town,m my neighbors actually seem to appreciate OC, and a few have said they feel safer for it.

2. Remove Ads

Yea. I told my brother-in-law (sister deceased) if I ever saw him again I'd kill 'em. I never saw him again.

Seriously, only petty stuff. It makes folks think a wee bit.

As a Paramedic, and as a deployed soldier I have stopped/deterred many crimes. As a private citizen, I have stopped a few fights from happening, but thankfully, nothing more than that.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Talked a friend out of getting married once............
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

About 24 years ago I was an assistant manager at a fast food restaurant, closing shift. A female employee's ex-boyfriend showed up and attempted to drag her into his car. Me and two other employees intervened and prevented him from taking the girl. I ended up with a bloody nose after being punched. Cops came much later, I was too young to CCW and this was before the law was enacted anyway (plus I was at work so not likely to carry even if the law allowed).

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    You may have prevented a murder...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    as a deployed soldier I have stopped/deterred many crimes. As a private citizen, I have stopped a few fights from happening, but thankfully, nothing more than that.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Now HERE is a person worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize!!!!!

I OC about 25% of the time. I live in a small rural community that has had a lot of bad stuff go down over the last five years or so...some of it nationally covered events. I have had a couple of situations that I believe OC had some degree of influencing how things panned out. The thing is that with OC, you never know if someone chose another target instead of you becuase of OC or not. I believe that most low level criminals are really cowards that look for easy targets. If you do not appear to be an easy target, they will let you pass and choose another.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A few years ago at a bar a man was asked to leave and refused, the cops were called and the first cop to arrive was a guy i played football with in school. I was behind the guy that was being disruptive and when the cop asked him too leave the man had a bottle and reared back to hit the officer. i basically put him in a rear naked choke and pulled him down on top of me to the ground, then another cop arrived i was yelling cuff him cuff him and the officer friend told me to let him go. as i let him go he went to try to hit me and at that very moment he was the first person in our town to feel a taser. and i had no clue what was happening, he looked like he was breakdancing. and i was backsliding. the cop thanked me, but i never really should have got involved but i was drinking and knew the cop personally.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Crime, no. But put some smart mouthed punk kids on their way once while OC'ing. I was checking the ammo stock at walmart after work, about 1 am. As I am leaving the store this late model hoopty is rolling by full of late teen or early twenty males. 4-5 of them. A lady is putting some things in her car by the curb. So the passenger sticks his head out the window and starts cussing the lady for being in the way. I decide not to get in front of them, so I turn to the back of their car to go around. This exposed my OC'ed G19 to the wise guy hanging out the window. I see his bug eyed expression and he yells, "Dude's got a gun!" The were completely out of the parking lot in mere seconds. I just shook my head and walked to the truck chuckling to myself. He went from the tough guy cussing out the old lady, to screaming like a girl and high tailing it in the blink of an eye.

Probley more times than Ill ever realize, patrolling around town in a CVPI has the affect of sending B/G's on there way.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Don't know. Never had a bad guy tell me, "Dude, I would have so robbed that place, but I didn't want you to shoot me." And, unfortunately, that is the problem with our deterrance, 99.5% percent of the time you will just never know.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Don't know. Never had a bad guy tell me, "Dude, I would have so robbed that place, but I didn't want you to shoot me." And, unfortunately, that is the problem with our deterrance, 99.5% percent of the time you will just never know.
    This.

On the other hand, I don't think most people even notice when you OC, so there's a good chance it really doesn't deter anything.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I was in a bank in downtown Norfolk VA as a uniformed armed security officer, trying to market our services, when a shady looking character walked in, saw me and my boss, froze in his tracks and backed out.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The only time I "noticed" something, I was walking into a chain grocery store, their was a young "thug" looking guy walking towards the door from an angle to me. He looked my way and noticed my holstered gun. He immediately turned around and headed off in a different direction, walking much faster. Who knows what he was up to, or if he thought I may of been LEO of some kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links