ABCNews: Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun'

This is a discussion on ABCNews: Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun' within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a front page feature at ABCNews.com: Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun' As Starbucks Gun Controversy Boils, Open Carry Movement Shoots Into Spotlight By ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABCNews: Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun'

ABCNews: Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun'

As a front page feature at ABCNews.com:

Understanding the 'Guy With the Gun'
    As Starbucks Gun Controversy Boils, Open Carry Movement Shoots Into Spotlight

By ALICE GOMSTYN
    ABC NEWS Business Unit
    March 2, 2010

Ed Levine said he remembers when people at his favorite restaurants used to know him as "the guy with the gun."

It's a label that's faded, the Virginia man said, as more people like him have chosen to openly carry their handguns while running everyday errands. Levine said he carries his 45-caliber pistol nearly everywhere he goes, from his local Starbucks to his community pool, and he rarely draws attention.

"It's like putting on your socks -- you do it every day," he said. "Someone doesn't run up to you and say, 'Oh, you're wearing socks.'"

The practice of "open carry" at retail stores -- carrying a handgun in plain sight -- has come under fire from anti-gun activists in recent weeks after open carry proponents tested California's gun laws by bringing their guns with them to several Golden State stores, including Starbucks.

In response, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence called on the coffee giant to ban firearms at its stores. The group is concerned about accidental firings, untrained gun owners and the welfare of those "who want to enjoy their coffee without putting themselves at risk of gunshot," Brady spokesman Doug Pennington said.

The Brady petition demanding a Starbucks gun ban now bears 28,000 signatures, with some signers saying they'll choose other coffee retailers, including Peet's Coffee and Tea, which recently announced it would prohibit guns at its shops, the spokesman said.

A Starbucks spokesman declined a request for an interview about the open carry issue, instead providing a statement: "For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is a paramount concern. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue."

Meanwhile, two chains in addition to Peet's, California Pizza Kitchen and California-based Buckhorn Grill, have said they're banning guns at their stores.

While the Starbucks controversy may soon force more businesses to confront their gun-carry policies -- retail analyst Lori Wachs says that, until now, most chains have opted to avoid the hot button issue -- it's also raising the profile of the open carry movement and groups like OpenCarry.org.

The online community claims at least 26,000 members. OpenCarry.org co-founder Mike Stollenwerk said he and fellow Virginian John Pierce started the Web site in 2004.

The year before, Stollenwerk and several friends caused alarm at a Reston, Va., restaurant when they showed up for dinner with their guns in their holsters. At the time, even police officers called to the restaurant were confused about the state's open carry law, Stollenwerk said....

The full article can be found at; Gun Owners Tout 'Open Carry' Rights - ABC News

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Levine's 12-year-old daughter Brooke has been trained to use her own gun, a .22LR Caliber pistol. When the pair are together and someone asks her father why he's packing, Levine says Brooke has a ready answer: In a takeoff of a Mastercard commercial, Brooke points to the gun and says "$1,000" and then points to herself and says "priceless" -- a suggestion that the pretty penny Levine had to spend to buy the gun was worth it to protect his invaluable daughter.
    That's funny right there....
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

This actually seems like a pretty good article, surprisingly.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I agree, I'd love to be standing there and hear her say it to some anti gun nut-job.

Thanks for the post Janq, enjoyed it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Not a bad article IMO. Seems pretty fair to me.

I like how they added:

He hasn't needed it yet, he added.

"I hope I never do," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I like this one, I'm going to steal this one and use it!!! LOL

Well, I hope they've told all the criminals and people without carry permits/lic. that the guns are banned in their stores. I'm sure they've thought of that, though.
    I mean, if they put up signs and let everyone know that guns are prohibited, then they won't have to worry about two things: criminals bringing guns into their establishments (pfftttt) and b. law abiding gun totin' citizens that could potentially save lives.

Congrats to them all for having their heads ...well, you know...

Surprisingly level headed. Thanks Janq. Anyone think that some headway is being made when articles like this start showing up?

It's fairly content free, and surprisingly doesn't provide any facts I'd expect such as a general overview of open carry law across the country, any statistics of any kind (these articles usually do), or any mention of concealed carry. I'd have expected a contrast-and-compare of concealed vs open. I'd also expect that, given the article's title, it would have at least touched on the topic of the 'open carry movement'; the article really provides little to substantiate that a 'movement' is afoot.

It is predictable that Brady Campaign was available for comment--and of course the comment is as senseless as one would expect. The assumption made being that because customers carry their weapons openly, risk of gunshot to innocent bystanders must somehow be greater (than some other situation). It's amazing that anyone would conclude that the likelihood of a gunfight or shooting is somehow higher if I can see a weapon being lawfully carried by someone. Where does this sort of logic come from?

No mention that there might be a high probability that anyone openly carrying is not a criminal. In fact, Brady Campaign is all about finding any cases they can where someone legally carrying concealed has commited a crime, as an argument to support the notion of insufficient restrictions.

I have to applaud, too. They actually quoted Stollenwerk, and didn't then immediately make him look like an idiot or a demon. Very surprising.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

ABC news id still a veru anti gun network. remember abc primetime where they give students a gun and make sure they fail by making them conceal it with a shirt on down to their knees. and the cop comes in and just happenens to know which student has the concealed gun and shoots him or her first.. watch if u have never seen it BLANTANTLY BIASED......YouTube - If You Only Had A Gun Part 1
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

sorry about the spelling my keyboard acts up when i get in a hurry here is the link again......YouTube - If You Only Had A Gun Part 1
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    ABC news id still a veru anti gun network. remember abc primetime where they give students a gun and make sure they fail by making them conceal it with a shirt on down to their knees. and the cop comes in and just happenens to know which student has the concealed gun and shoots him or her first.. watch if u have never seen it BLANTANTLY BIASED......YouTube - If You Only Had A Gun Part 1
    that was pathetic. they came in an targeted the one with the gun each time. They also had the one with the gun in the same seat each time. Extremely biased test.

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    that was pathetic. they came in an targeted the one with the gun each time. They also had the one with the gun in the same seat each time. Extremely biased test.
    I know I was pissed when I seen this on tv, I sent them several e-mails. They also failed to mention how the gunman would have focused on the ccer that the whole rest of the class could get away sacrificing his self and saving dozens of lives.

I quit watching ABC's nightly news when Diane Sawyer became
    the desk anchor; as she is totally against defensive carry~!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Like it or not, it seems the gun control issue is becoming prominent. Open carry, SCOTUS, and who knows what else.

Game on.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links