OC in Santa Maria, CA Walmart today - Page 2

OC in Santa Maria, CA Walmart today

This is a discussion on OC in Santa Maria, CA Walmart today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mama K: Great job on sending a letter to Wal-Mart explaining the professionalism of the managers at the store you visited. (You should send a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OC in Santa Maria, CA Walmart today

Mama K:

Great job on sending a letter to Wal-Mart explaining the professionalism of the managers at the store you visited. (You should send a copy to Corporate as well.)

I was about to suggest it, when I came upon your follow-up.

As a business owner myself, I am always swayed by letters from customers regarding our staff's interactions with them. Many times I was swayed by complaints, but most often I was really pleased with the complimentary letters and would always make a big deal about the letter (and professional performance) in front of the staff.

In addition, I commend you on open carrying and going to the trouble of learning the CA gun laws. You opened yourself up to confrontation and aggravation to prove a point in a place where you do not live.

Well done! Many (including myself) would not be so brave.

Capt. Art

I'm curious about the CA definition of "unloaded"? Here, in UT, we can open carry without a permit...however, without a permit the gun must be "unloaded".....the UT definition for an auto is Full Mag but not one in the chamber...revolver would be empty chamber under the hammer plus the next chamber over would need to be empty as well. Does CA law prohibit that condition? Do they really require you to keep your mag/ammo out completely?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Kudo's to the manager and you should contact corporate and give him some airtime. Level headed people are rare.
    The email I sent went to corporate and included the store number, time of the encounter, and a description of the managers.

Here is a funny fact I forgot to include...The 2 managers that stopped me were the manager and assistant manager of the Garden Department & both are female.
    Normally, I scare the female employees more than the male cause guys routinely underestimate girls.

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    In addition, I commend you on open carrying and going to the trouble of learning the CA gun laws. You opened yourself up to confrontation and aggravation to prove a point in a place where you do not live.
    Capt. Art
    I use to live down here in CA when I was in high school, and it saddens me to see people who, for lack of a better term, are oppressed. I figured that if I could get one person to think, "If OC is legal then I can do it too!" then it would be worth possibly ending up face down with cuffs on...as long as my husband didn't find out
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    I'm curious about the CA definition of "unloaded"? Here, in UT, we can open carry without a permit...however, without a permit the gun must be "unloaded".....the UT definition for an auto is Full Mag but not one in the chamber...revolver would be empty chamber under the hammer plus the next chamber over would need to be empty as well. Does CA law prohibit that condition? Do they really require you to keep your mag/ammo out completely?
    The short answer is no ammo attached to the firearm in anyway.

CA Penal Code 12031
    12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

(g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm;

except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.
    Now CA requires you to not have more than 10 rounds in a mag at a time and its very fuzzy about having "high capacity" mags at all...what I did was take my three 10 round mags and load them for my min of 30 rounds on my person, but that left me walking around with a gun that was obviously empty since I didn't have a 4th 10rd mag for it.

I can't wait to get over the boarder so I can carry normally. Right now I'm on high alert everywhere and a hair's width from Red when I'm armed. I think the neighbors are getting touchy also cause the sheriff seems to be taking up hourly patrols of the cul-de-sac I'm on.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Mamakennedy, good job on your successful experience with OC in Santa Maria. I chose not to return to my hometown of San Luis Obispo (near Santa Maria) in CA after I retired from the USAF with one of the reasons being the strict gun laws there.

mamakennedy, good post. You protected your precious children, followed the law, and graciously added converts through education.

I occasionally enjoy the right to OC here in Tennessee with my "hi cap" 13rd (lol) mags.

Senior Moderator
    All right people. Let s get it back on topic. I've deleted the offending post and the responses to that post.

Lets remember the last sentence of the topic heading. For those that forget, its says this...

This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I been frequenting the WW I originally posted about and have made a few stops by the WW in Arroyo Grande, CA (about 25 miles north) & so far I have not had a bad experience.

I really don't want to have a bad experience and have been extra polite to everyone, so this last week has been very refreshing The sheep are still around and their eyes get really big, but they aren't running away as often.

Any locals down here want to get together for a tri-tip BBQ?

Second parking lot robbery reported in Santa Maria...this one at Walmart

I bet this guy would NOT have charged you this way...I would have like to watched if he had. Good for you!!!

KSBY News San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, Paso Robles - Second parking lot robbery reported in Santa Maria

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:20 PM
    Updated: Mar 7, 2010 12:21 PM

Santa Maria police officers say they responded to a robbery Saturday, around 6:45 p.m. at 2220 South Bradley in the Wal-Mart parking lot. A 30-year-old woman said she was walking to her car, when a man started running directly at her. The suspect grabbed the woman's purse from her arm, and then ran away through the parking lot.

The suspect matches a similar description of a man who attempted to rob a woman in the Sears parking lot Saturday. He is described as a Hispanic male in his twenties or thirties, wearing a dark colored striped shirt. He may be associated with a newer red Toyota 2-door.

The victim was not hurt in the incident. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers.

UOC in Calif

Many years ago, when the civil rights movement was in full swing, the Black Panthers walked into the Ca legislature with unloaded semi auto weapons in protest of their civil rights. This scared the living crap outta the politicians, so they passed some of the most restrictive gun laws around.
    No open carry loaded, concealed permits on a "may issue" critearia run by county sheriffs. A 1000 ft gunfree zone around K-12 schools. Concealable weapons must be unloaded and locked up in a container or in the truck of a car to pass through the magic zone unless you have a concealed permit. No weapons in gov buildings. The only way to open carry is to be unloaded. You may carry loaded mags as long as they are seperate from the weapon. Police officers are "authorized" to inspect your weapon to verify it is unloaded.
    Waiting for incorporation of the 2nd amendment, as there is no mention of it in the Calif constitution.

Quest- No he most likely would not have charged me. I don't wear purses and the closest I get to a purse is my diaper bag when my kids are with me
    Purses make easy targets, all the persons information (financial, identity, family, social) in one easy off body target.

GM
    “Open Carry in a belt holster a unloaded gun.” … I guess that you can always beat the BG with the gun

Glad that the experience turned to be a positive one.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm thinking the unloaded gun rule is so LEO will feel safer when approaching somebody that is OC'ing,I think it's a false sense of security since Law abiding citisens don't normally draw guns on cops and that BG's don't care about rules
    I totally agree!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I could beat the BG with the gun, but most everyone stays clear of me like I have the plague. As soon as I am on private property I load up out of view of the public...I just have to remember I can't set foot in the street.

To any Sheepdogs in CA - you guys put up with a ton of , and I hope it changes for the good for you soon.

I would be curious to know if you locked your magizines in the trunk to and from the stores?
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links