Defensive Carry banner

OC in Santa Maria, CA Walmart today

4K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  DrLewall 
#1 ·
I'm stuck down here in Central CA and have been for the last month due to a death in the family. Well today I got tired of following my husband's wishes for me not to carry while I'm down here and grabbed my holstered gun. :comeandgetsome:
Now for those of you who are not familiar with OC in CA, being from out of state CA kindly refuses to recognize any of my CC permits and will only allow me to Open Carry in a belt holster a unloaded gun.
So I belted on my mag & gun holsters and took my dad's dogs to the groomers at Pet Smart.

My sister and I got there at 9am and wandered the shopping center forever waiting on the dogs :mad:
Next to Pet Smart is a bunch of little shops along with a Best Buy, TJmax, Wal-mart, and Home depot.
There were the usual :sheep: who would take a good long look at me and then turn tail and run...literally run.

After a while we were able to locate the hangers and a tube of tennis balls, and the 2 managers that were speed walking down the aisle at us calling for my attention.

They wanted to know why I was carrying, if I was a LEO, and where my government issued permission slip stating that I could carry a firearm in public. I was annoyed, but polite and explained that I needed no permission, or ID to carry...all I needed was to be 18 years old, be able to legally own a firearm, have it unloaded & openly displayed in a holster, and be in an unrestricted area (ie: school zone, USPS...ect).
The managers politely asked me to wait while they verified it with the local PD on the phone. Santa Maria PD was kind enough not to come running with guns drawn and simply told the WW manager that I was correct. The WW managers thanked me for explaining how I could carry and told me to enjoy my day shopping in the store.

All and all a good experience :danceban:, then it got better. A few minutes later my sister and I were walking to the register to check out and one of the managers came walking towards me calling out again. She started talking about how she carries her Glock at home and at the range but didn't know she could actually carry in public. She was full of questions about how to OC, and I just happen to have a CA specific OC pamphlet in my pocket with the CA carry laws with web page addresses for more information and forums.

:danceban:I think we have a new convert:danceban:

See less See more
#10 ·
It is pretty silly. For most folks, it'll take a couple seconds to load up and fire, if needed. That's time a person might well not have, in a situation. And since there is so little difference between a loaded and unloaded one, otherwise, it seems horribly punitive against upstanding people do have such a law, yes. But then, anti-gun politicos aren't known for their reasonableness. Such is life, in 2010.

Nice to see a place where the LEO's don't blow a gasket over OC. Very sane. It's refreshing.

#3 ·
It is an odd rule but it is the only way to carry with out a CA CC permit. CA does not issue non-resident permits, nor does it honor ANY out of state permits.

My firearm basically was an expensive hammer, but I did take the time to train at the range for drawing an empty gun and loading.

#4 ·
While I personally disagree with carrying an unloaded gun, it is the law there so "when in Rome". I do have a comment about the manager though. I hope you got his/her name. This manager seems to have a bit of common sense. They asked you a few questions and not knowing what was legal called someone to find out. After finding out you were correct, they allowed you to enjoy yourself in their store. Maybe not ideal but certainly better than many others. I would find some way of thanking them for their understanding. I would say a good contact considering the state.

#5 ·
I think OC should be legal in any state for any citizen legally authorized to own a firearm. CA making you unload it sucks.

Did the police do their verifications the gun was unloaded? At work we use these plastic "chamber clear" pieces that stick out a little showing the chamber is not loaded. I don't like the idea of being held with hand on the table just so an officer can handle my gun.

#7 ·
Yes, 2 10rd magazines (CA also limits the number of rounds in a mag) on my belt within easy reach. I also had another in my pocket...all three were loaded with HPrds.

I had practiced drawing and loading the gun at the range before I was willing to carry an unloaded gun...It is not easy, nor do I like it but at least I could carry.

Did the police do their verifications the gun was unloaded?
PD never showed up. After the manager at WW verified with PD on the phone that what I said was correct she told them that their presences was not needed.

#8 ·
YES!

This is as it should be. Even though you may not personally agree with the unloaded carry option, it is the LAW here and we obey it. That the mgr listened to your explanation and then told the police that they weren't needed is a huge bonus.

Kudo's to the manager and you should contact corporate and give him some airtime. Level headed people are rare.

#18 ·
Kudo's to the manager and you should contact corporate and give him some airtime. Level headed people are rare.
The email I sent went to corporate and included the store number, time of the encounter, and a description of the managers.

Here is a funny fact I forgot to include...The 2 managers that stopped me were the manager and assistant manager of the Garden Department & both are female.
Normally, I scare the female employees more than the male cause guys routinely underestimate girls.

In addition, I commend you on open carrying and going to the trouble of learning the CA gun laws. You opened yourself up to confrontation and aggravation to prove a point in a place where you do not live.
Capt. Art
I use to live down here in CA when I was in high school, and it saddens me to see people who, for lack of a better term, are oppressed. I figured that if I could get one person to think, "If OC is legal then I can do it too!" then it would be worth possibly ending up face down with cuffs on...as long as my husband didn't find out:rolleyes:

#9 ·
I'm thinking the unloaded gun rule is so LEO will feel safer when approaching somebody that is OC'ing,I think it's a false sense of security since Law abiding citisens don't normally draw guns on cops and that BG's don't care about rules

#14 ·
In reality I believe that the unloaded laws are NOT for "Officer safety" as they are touted. Instead I think that it's just another "gotcha!" law that can be used against anyone stupid enough to not know the law and gangbangers for no other purpose except to expand the list of charges.

These are typically the charges that are thrown out during a plea bargain. As such they are worthless for any other purpose.

#11 ·
Congrats on a successful OC experience in central CA. It is strange only being allowed to OC with an unloaded firearm. But I suppose it's better than not being allowed to OC at all.

I was kind of surprised that the local LEO's didn't dispatch a car all the same. UOC is not done on any major scale whatsoever. From what I've read it's getting more & more done by 2A advocates in Kalifornia.

Again, congrats on a successful UOC in central CA.

#12 ·
I have sent a message to Walmart describing the situation & praising the way in which the managers handled it.

Granted, I would have perferred to have been left alone and not stopped at all, but they could have called the cops and had me on the ground cuffed.

#15 ·
I'm betting you get an apology from WalMart's HQ and the staff at that store will be going through a training session on CA gun laws.

#16 ·
Mama K:

Great job on sending a letter to Wal-Mart explaining the professionalism of the managers at the store you visited. (You should send a copy to Corporate as well.)

I was about to suggest it, when I came upon your follow-up.

As a business owner myself, I am always swayed by letters from customers regarding our staff's interactions with them. Many times I was swayed by complaints, but most often I was really pleased with the complimentary letters and would always make a big deal about the letter (and professional performance) in front of the staff.

In addition, I commend you on open carrying and going to the trouble of learning the CA gun laws. You opened yourself up to confrontation and aggravation to prove a point in a place where you do not live.

Well done! Many (including myself) would not be so brave.

Capt. Art

#17 ·
I'm curious about the CA definition of "unloaded"? Here, in UT, we can open carry without a permit...however, without a permit the gun must be "unloaded".....the UT definition for an auto is Full Mag but not one in the chamber...revolver would be empty chamber under the hammer plus the next chamber over would need to be empty as well. Does CA law prohibit that condition? Do they really require you to keep your mag/ammo out completely?

#19 ·
The short answer is no ammo attached to the firearm in anyway.

CA Penal Code 12031
12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

(g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm;

except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.
Now CA requires you to not have more than 10 rounds in a mag at a time and its very fuzzy about having "high capacity" mags at all...what I did was take my three 10 round mags and load them for my min of 30 rounds on my person, but that left me walking around with a gun that was obviously empty since I didn't have a 4th 10rd mag for it.

I can't wait to get over the boarder so I can carry normally. Right now I'm on high alert everywhere and a hair's width from Red when I'm armed. I think the neighbors are getting touchy also cause the sheriff seems to be taking up hourly patrols of the cul-de-sac I'm on.:theyareontome:

#22 ·
All right people. Let s get it back on topic. I've deleted the offending post and the responses to that post.

Lets remember the last sentence of the topic heading. For those that forget, its says this...

This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

#23 ·
I been frequenting the WW I originally posted about and have made a few stops by the WW in Arroyo Grande, CA (about 25 miles north) & so far I have not had a bad experience.

I really don't want to have a bad experience and have been extra polite to everyone, so this last week has been very refreshing:smile: The sheep are still around and their eyes get really big, but they aren't running away as often.

Any locals down here want to get together for a tri-tip BBQ?

#24 ·
Second parking lot robbery reported in Santa Maria...this one at Walmart

I bet this guy would NOT have charged you this way...I would have like to watched if he had. Good for you!!!

KSBY News San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, Paso Robles - Second parking lot robbery reported in Santa Maria

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:20 PM
Updated: Mar 7, 2010 12:21 PM

Santa Maria police officers say they responded to a robbery Saturday, around 6:45 p.m. at 2220 South Bradley in the Wal-Mart parking lot. A 30-year-old woman said she was walking to her car, when a man started running directly at her. The suspect grabbed the woman's purse from her arm, and then ran away through the parking lot.

The suspect matches a similar description of a man who attempted to rob a woman in the Sears parking lot Saturday. He is described as a Hispanic male in his twenties or thirties, wearing a dark colored striped shirt. He may be associated with a newer red Toyota 2-door.

The victim was not hurt in the incident. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers.

#25 ·
UOC in Calif

Many years ago, when the civil rights movement was in full swing, the Black Panthers walked into the Ca legislature with unloaded semi auto weapons in protest of their civil rights. This scared the living crap outta the politicians, so they passed some of the most restrictive gun laws around.
No open carry loaded, concealed permits on a "may issue" critearia run by county sheriffs. A 1000 ft gunfree zone around K-12 schools. Concealable weapons must be unloaded and locked up in a container or in the truck of a car to pass through the magic zone unless you have a concealed permit. No weapons in gov buildings. The only way to open carry is to be unloaded. You may carry loaded mags as long as they are seperate from the weapon. Police officers are "authorized" to inspect your weapon to verify it is unloaded.
Waiting for incorporation of the 2nd amendment, as there is no mention of it in the Calif constitution.

#26 ·
Quest- No he most likely would not have charged me. I don't wear purses and the closest I get to a purse is my diaper bag when my kids are with me

Purses make easy targets, all the persons information (financial, identity, family, social) in one easy off body target.

#28 ·
I could beat the BG with the gun, but most everyone stays clear of me like I have the plague. As soon as I am on private property I load up out of view of the public...I just have to remember I can't set foot in the street.:tired:

To any Sheepdogs in CA - you guys put up with a ton of :banned:, and I hope it changes for the good for you soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.