First Time Open Carry.. - Page 2

First Time Open Carry..

This is a discussion on First Time Open Carry.. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah I've priced a kydex thumb break from BladeTech. They run about $110 bucks compared to $62 for standard....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Open Carry..

Yeah I've priced a kydex thumb break from BladeTech. They run about $110 bucks compared to $62 for standard.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    It is a North Carolina law.

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee.
    The law says one can't carry a CONCEALED handgun in those places, even with a permit. It does not prohibit open carry in those places.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    Personally I wouldn't be carrying into the bank, but maybe that's just my CHP talking. One freaked teller and a silent alarm and you could be in for a real loooong day.
    LOL, I have to agree. I can just imagine what would happen if I walked into a bank here in California with a open carrying a gun. It's just not worth it.
    Common sense is not so common.

Raleigh or Cary I would prob think twice.. most small towns, wouldn't...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The law says one can't carry a CONCEALED handgun in those places, even with a permit. It does not prohibit open carry in those places.
    That was my first thought looking at the law extract posted, but since CC is in banks illegal I think I'd check specifically on OC rather than trying to be the test case. NC has a bunch of strange places where CC is prohibited.

Also for the sake of this thread, remember we are talking NC here, the laws in the other States do NOT matter!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    That was my first thought looking at the law extract posted, but since CC is in banks illegal I think I'd check specifically on OC rather than trying to be the test case. NC has a bunch of strange places where CC is prohibited.

Also for the sake of this thread, remember we are talking NC here, the laws in the other States do NOT matter!
    There is no law prohibiting OC in a bank in NC. The CC in a bank restriction is within the CC Scope of Permit. If anyone wants to look just google NC General Statutes and comb through the 14-Criminal Law listings. But it's not there and what is not illegal is legal. Although if you are asked to leave and do not you will be trespassing.

FWIW, Cary has an OC restriction on public property. You can only OC on private property within the town. It's most likely unconstitutional, but the AG will not address it. They also tried to ban CC on public grounds including sidewalks. That just recently got cleared up. There are actually a lot of folks in the Raleigh and Cary area that OC. Most of those folks are over on OCDO.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

The day I moved to Colorado a guy walked into the Credit Union Open Carrying. The tellers seemed to not be alarmed so i wasn't concerned. I moved here from Maryland, so I figured I had moved to the right place. That was back in 1989 before the CCW movement.

You cannot carry concealed into a bank period. They don't need to post that because it is law. Not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know.
    Be safe
    ...in North Carolina? [need citation please]

Otherwise in VA, you're just fine.

To the OP: It's good to know the laws before you start OCing....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

GM
    You cannot carry concealed into a bank period. They don't need to post that because it is law. Not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know.
    Be safe
    In that case it must be a NC law, not a federal law. I live in FL and I CC all the time when doing my banking.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ...in North Carolina? [need citation please]

Otherwise in VA, you're just fine.

To the OP: It's good to know the laws before you start OCing....
    NavyLT posted it in post #7. He's right. But since it is defined in the CC Scope of Permit it does not apply to OC. It also does not mention OC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Be safe
    That is NC statute; many other states allow carrying in banks.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Yes it IS A NC ONLY LAW, & it ONLY APPLYS to CC.

To Sigguy,
    Believe me, I know NC firearm law backwards & forwards. Having carried a handgun in my truck since I was 18, I've had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Elitematch View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking about a custom leather thumb-break.

The Fobus is the only kydex paddle i could get in a pinch.

I am thinking about ordering a blade-tech for my cz-82 when I order one for my Elite Match.

Anyone tried Blade-Tech???

Forget to add, the Fobus is pretty tight. Any motion other then a "snappy" draw in axis with the holster is gonna take some work. Plus, I maintain Sit awareness at all times.
    Blade-Tech is great stuff. I use the NANO for my 1911, and the Ultimate Conceal Holster for my G30.

Good gear for a good price. Quick service too.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Yeah was on the phone with Blade Tech today. They offer a paddle with thumb break for around $110.

Be safe
    In... What state? Not mine.
    Why is it "shall not be infringed" is among the most misunderstood clauses of our Constitution?

I'm a Virginia Tech Alum, and that tragedy was avoidable! Even after losing more than twenty bright young minds, they still don't get it. I hope others do, and soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links