First Time Open Carry..

First Time Open Carry..

This is a discussion on First Time Open Carry.. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well guys, Took the plunge today. I had placed an order for a Fobus MAK-1 for my CZ-82, & as I was leaving work the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Open Carry..

First Time Open Carry..

Well guys,

Took the plunge today.

I had placed an order for a Fobus MAK-1 for my CZ-82, & as I was leaving work the shop called & said it was in. So picked it up, clipped it to my pants & headed home. Had to stop by my local Walmart & the bank.

I understand now why people state that you have a higher state of Sit awareness carrying.

I was wearing a black hoodie, "VA Tucked" with a mag on left side.

At Walmart no one gave me a second look & believe me, I was scanning around.

The bank, made it inside with no problem, & was leaning against the counter talking to a teller I knew, when she looked down & said "boy you better go put that back in the truck". I said "why?" "ya'll aint posted,I looked before I walked in."

She stated that she had thought it was, which lead to the other teller wondering what was going on. When she told her I was wearing a gun, she simply stated "long as it ain't pointed at me I'm fine with it."

Now let me explain, the first teller happens to be a good ol' country girl,also a neighbor of mine so she wasn't freaked out, just trying to keep me outta trouble.

& I will be carrying once again, soon as I get my gun from the smith.

Thanks guys, I've learned quite a few things from this site.
    Matt

Personally I wouldn't be carrying into the bank, but maybe that's just my CHP talking. One freaked teller and a silent alarm and you could be in for a real loooong day.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Yeah thought about that. As I stated. No signs were posted. concealed or otherwise.

You cannot carry concealed into a bank period. They don't need to post that because it is law. Not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know.
    Be safe
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Yeah thanks. I know your not.

I thought about all that & was prepared for whatever happened. Even if that included Dunn's finest.

I look at it like this: The main reason we oc is to express our 2nd admen right. So, in that token, NC law DOES NOT state that OC in banks is a no-no. Maybe not a smart idea, but not illegal.

Will I do it again?? depends on what I have scheduled for the rest of the day.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    You cannot carry concealed into a bank period. They don't need to post that because it is law. Not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know.
    Be safe
    Not sure about your statement above... since here in Kansas you can, as long as they do not have posted the "approved" Kansas no-guns allowed sign posted per the Attorney General's office.

Banks are NOT federal banks or property or such... just insured by them... which is not the same.

Now, unless your state has some sort of exclusion for them... but that is not universal.

Most states I have researched for conceal carry do not even mention banks?????
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    Not sure about your statement above... since here in Kansas you can, as long as they do not have posted the "approved" Kansas no-guns allowed sign posted per the Attorney General's office.

Banks are NOT federal banks or property or such... just insured by them... which is not the same.

Now, unless your state has some sort of exclusion for them... but that is not universal.

Most states I have researched for conceal carry do not even mention banks?????
    It is a North Carolina law.

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    It is a North Carolina law.

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee.
    Like I said... it depends on state law and each state is different. I did not see a reference to any state in your post a few posts above.. so that is why I wanted to clarify it.

Thanks,
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Yeah its another stupid NC firearms law. As I stated, there was NO SIGN posted on either door.

Be safe
    Maybe in NC, but not in Connecticut.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    One freaked teller and a silent alarm and you could be in for a real loooong day.
    I think a person's demeanor and the way they look says volumes. Nodding and saying hello with a smile does wonders. Wearing sunglasses, a hat, with your hood pulled up is gonna draw more negative attention than a dress shirt, slacks, and a decent haircut.

As long as you're legal, it shouldn't matter, but it does. If people's first instincts are that you look like a BG, don't expect the best welcome.

since concealed carry in a bank is illegal in NC, i guess the OP had no choice but to open carry. works for me. in PA, there are no restrictions on carrying in a bank, so i can carry as i please, openly or concealed. whether or not i'm allowed in is up to the bank manager, since banks are private property.

may i suggest you get a different holster? the Fobus holsters i've seen don't come with retention devices; if you're new to OC, and haven't taken any retention training, you might want to get a holster with some sort of device, for safety.

Yeah I'm thinking about a custom leather thumb-break.

The Fobus is the only kydex paddle i could get in a pinch.

I am thinking about ordering a blade-tech for my cz-82 when I order one for my Elite Match.

Anyone tried Blade-Tech???

Forget to add, the Fobus is pretty tight. Any motion other then a "snappy" draw in axis with the holster is gonna take some work. Plus, I maintain Sit awareness at all times.

Yeah I agree that how you are dressed & conduct yourself is what makes the biggest difference.

I honestly believe most of the folks in Walmart that day just figured I was a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Elitematch View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking about a custom leather thumb-break.

The Fobus is the only kydex paddle i could get in a pinch.

I am thinking about ordering a blade-tech for my cz-82 when I order one for my Elite Match.

Anyone tried Blade-Tech???

Forget to add, the Fobus is pretty tight. Any motion other then a "snappy" draw in axis with the holster is gonna take some work. Plus, I maintain Sit awareness at all times.
    the Fobus will loosen up after awhile. really loose. it was the first Kydex holster i got for my Sigma. after a couple of months, i had to tighten it with Gorilla tape to have any kind of retention. i dumped it, and got a SERPA.

i know some folks with Bladetechs; they seem to like them enough. they're pretty stiff, and don't loosen up over time.

Fobus = Uncle Mike's, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links