Decided ... heck with it....

This is a discussion on Decided ... heck with it.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods, move if not in the appropriate place. I do not open carry outside of home, as around here the Police Dept is very "touchy", ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decided ... heck with it....

Decided ... heck with it....

Mods, move if not in the appropriate place.

I do not open carry outside of home, as around here the Police Dept is very "touchy", and I've even been told by one that he would shoot anyone he saw with a gun and ask questions later. He's no longer on the force. I also live on one of the main streets to and from 2 schools, so there is higher traffic at the beginning / end of the school day and kids walking by (you know, nervous parents ). So, my attitude is why create an issue when I can easiliy pull my shirt over it, even though it's quite legal to have it open on my property.

I was wearing a revolver in a quite visible open carry in an IWB holster and not wearing a good cover shirt anyway. School was letting out about that time. I was getting some things done and needed to go outside a few trips to get my 54 Chevy running and a few other things done. The first 2 trips, I never even thought about the gun being there. The third trip, I remembered it being there..... hesitated.....

and decided, heck with it..... these folks just need to get over it.

So, I didn't try to conceal it at all. I noticed at one point, 3 cars had slowed down and were driving very slowly by ...... and staring at me with their mouths open. It happened a couple of more times, so I began to suspect that I would soon see the Police drive by, which would not be unusual anyway as they watch the streets near the schools really well at these times. I just kept doing what I was doing.

I had 3 thoughts ..... anyone else just gotten fed up and said "heck with it" and open carried on their property. Did you experience any encounters with neigbhors.

And 2nd, for those of you who have , do you get the cars driving by slowly and staring as well ?

and 3rd, I wondered if the police were smart enough to know we can still legally open carry on our property even though it is within the No GUN Zone around schools...

2. Remove Ads

I openly shoot on my property of course my neighbors do too, but i live in the sticks. I agree with you, dang its your property and maybe a bad guy rides by and crosses your house off his list..
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I open carry on my property. I've never had a car slow down on my street to "gawk" at me, even though I carry OWB, 3:30 position. I guess my arm must hide it for the most part. My next door neighbor refers to me as "Pistol Packin Pat". I just smile and go about my business. It's my prerogative and I exercise it.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I OC on my property all the time. The first time I did it I was hesitant because I didn't want to stir up my neighbors. I didn't let that stop me though because I have several years of carrying openly while hiking and get "the stare" all the time.

I recently discovered that my neighbors hadn't even noticed my shiny sidearm after nearly 16 years.

I've walked out to the mailbox and didn't care who saw my gun,It's legal here on my property,I'm on good terms with all my neighbors and don't think anybody would freak if they saw my gun.I do prefer to keep it on the down low,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I OC on and off my property regularly. Just got back from Walmart. Had a local LEO, slow down and stop to watch me cross the parking lot. Then circle to the back of my truck. When I turned left he went right. No biggie.

No stares that I know of. 3 of my neighbors could care less, the 2 across the street I don't know yet, renters.

3, probably not right off the bat. I bet it takes some phone calls to clear that up.

I got fed up early last year. I started OC'ing before I got my CCP. Been doing it over a year now and only one real issue with a manager. The manager got straightened out later on that one.

Watch out, it's a slippery slope. Once you start liking the sweet taste of freedom you'll want to start OC'ing when your out and about. I would OC all the time, but my wife is the only person that get's away with telling me to cover it up. The CCP let's me stay armed, and her stay happy.

..... anyone else just gotten fed up and said "heck with it" and open carried on their property. Did you experience any encounters with neigbhors.

That's usually when I end up carrying openly. Just do what I need to get done and too lazy to cover up/ change. Having said that I still conceal carry most of the time.

And 2nd, for those of you who have , do you get the cars driving by slowly and staring as well ?

Not really.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I've walked out to the mailbox and didn't care who saw my gun,It's legal here on my property,I'm on good terms with all my neighbors and don't think anybody would freak if they saw my gun.I do prefer to keep it on the down low,
    It's a technicality but, you need to be careful. Depending on where your mail box is set up, and local ordinances you might not be on "your property" while getting your mail out of the box!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I OC frequently in my town and its never been a big deal. I was OCing at lunch the other day at a local restaurant and there were numerous LEOs there for lunch. One of them was giving me the eye pretty good (he must be new, I've never seen him around before...small town). He never said anything or did anything, but it was very noticable. None of the others gave me a second look (because they've all seen me in there or around town OCing before). As long as I know I'm within the law, I'm not overly concerned with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I OC more often than CC off duty. I get a few looks, once in a while, by those who don't know I'm an officer.

Most people don't notice.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I've actually had a few neighbors and people who walk their dogs along our street stop and comment about how nice it is to see people expressing their right to carry. The neighbor to the left even brought over his makarov to compare one day.

Around town not I'm thinking would cause a much bigger stir. But in our neighborhood it seems to be all good.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I would be amazed that people driving by actually saw the gun. 99.99% of the general population is not that observant. (Unless you had it in a flashing neon holster, that would cut it down to 99%).

Ken

My guess is they were slowing down to look at your 54 Chevy. People typically only notice open carry by accident unless they're looking for it.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    My guess is they were slowing down to look at your 54 Chevy. People typically only notice open carry by accident unless they're looking for it.
    A picture of the truck would sure help this thread.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    That was going to be my bet, but you beat me to it.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links