OC and Starbucks on CBS news - Page 2

OC and Starbucks on CBS news

This is a discussion on OC and Starbucks on CBS news within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every once in a great while I will get a Starbucks coffee, but I do appreciate any company's will to stand its ground on an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OC and Starbucks on CBS news

Every once in a great while I will get a Starbucks coffee, but I do appreciate any company's will to stand its ground on an issue like this.
    Starbucks is not really promoting guns, it's just following the law.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've had Starbucks coffee (used to live in the Seattle area even)and I never saw what the fuss was about concerning thier products.

What are these 'Oh-No anti's' wanting anyway? A 30.06 sign? A new law....guns and lattes don't mix?

My question is does a "no guns' sign hold weight in Wa? If not, conceal it, get your fix, and bail outta there before your sidearm jumps outta it's holster and shoots up the place (presumably for charging what they do). <scarcasm>

Either way, they just want our guns GONE! If Starbucks is gonna stand it's ground on the issue, then good on 'em!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I am not a fan of Starbucks coffee, but I am becoming a fan of their policies. They are staying neutral, which is better than I would expect out of them.

I would like to see one of their Baristas do this one day, maybe on Good Morning America, or even the Today show.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    What are these 'Oh-No anti's' wanting anyway? A 30.06 sign? A new law....guns and lattes don't mix?

My question is does a "no guns' sign hold weight in Wa? If not, conceal it, get your fix, and bail outta there before your sidearm jumps outta it's holster and shoots up the place (presumably for charging what they do). <scarcasm>

Either way, they just want our guns GONE! If Starbucks is gonna stand it's ground on the issue, then good on 'em!
    The anti-rights crowd are losing in the government sphere -- CCW permit applications are going through the roof, laws are being liberalized in most states, DC residents (and soon to be Chicago residents) can now own handguns, NP carry was legalized -- they have come to the realization that gun control by government is not popular.

After Peet's forced California OC advocates out of their establishments, they went to Starbucks instead to have their get-togethers. The Brady Campaign picked this up as a new tactic: bully companies into compliance with their point of view. It's backdoor gun control without any legislative oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    I thought in CA in order to open carry you had to have your gun unloaded? Every gun in a holster they showed had a magazine in it. Do they count an empty chamber as being unloaded, I do but I have no clue what they think?
    Those are empty mags, to keep dust and trash out.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatCWP View Post
    The anti-rights crowd are losing in the government sphere -- CCW permit applications are going through the roof, laws are being liberalized in most states, DC residents (and soon to be Chicago residents) can now own handguns, NP carry was legalized -- they have come to the realization that gun control by government is not popular.

After Peet's forced California OC advocates out of their establishments, they went to Starbucks instead to have their get-togethers. The Brady Campaign picked this up as a new tactic: bully companies into compliance with their point of view. It's backdoor gun control without any legislative oversight.
    Yes but it has financial oversight. Good old fashioned capitalism will win in the end. By running off all their clientle Peet's will shoot themselves in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Yes but it has financial oversight. Good old fashioned capitalism will win in the end. By running off all their clientle Peet's will shoot themselves in the foot.
    You'd think, except gourmet coffee houses are the traditional haunt of leftists worldwide (read up on how many third world Communist dictators got their start at Paris cafes) and since non-leftists make up an unbelievably small amount of Peet's customers (how many people except those on the left care if their coffee is organic or fair trade or grown only in a particular hillside in the mountains of Jamaica?), the company won't feel any effect.

In fact, business may shift over to them instead of Starbucks *because* of their anti-gun stance just as we may shift our business over to Starbucks because they are under fire by the Brady Campaign.

You're right in that capitalism will win, though -- we'll probably end up self-segregating.

You'd think, except gourmet coffee houses are the traditional haunt of leftists worldwide (read up on how many third world Communist dictators got their start at Paris cafes) and since non-leftists make up an unbelievably small amount of Peet's customers (how many people except those on the left care if their coffee is organic or fair trade or grown only in a particular hillside in the mountains of Jamaica?), the company won't feel any effect.

In fact, business may shift over to them instead of Starbucks *because* of their anti-gun stance just as we may shift our business over to Starbucks because they are under fire by the Brady Campaign.

You're right in that capitalism will win, though -- we'll probably end up self-segregating.
    Be careful, left != anti-gun. A very large number of extreme liberals are gun loving pro 2A. I know more conservitives seem to farvor 2A, but it isn't along potical lines. Look at Bloomberg, he sold himself as a Republican conservative originally. We've had a few Republicans sell us out.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I appreciate that Starbucks is respecting the local laws, and think it is pitifull that the Brady bunch is taking their agenda corporate. The OC thing started in CA, and the debate with Starbucks was confined there unitl the BB decided to attack Starbucks corporate headquarters and original store. Before, their policy was unwritten and just understood, and local managers could make their own interpretations, but now that the BB forced their hand, it backfired and Starbucks issued a written statement about their policy to follow local regulations. I love it.

And up here in WA, yes, the guns are loaded, and if these people knew how many more guns there were around not OC, they would probably be cleaning the grounds out of their underwear. As liberally leaning as Seattle is, the majority of Washingtonians love their guns and their rights and safety. I think Starbucks made the right choice and will come out on top in this one.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Be careful, left != anti-gun. A very large number of extreme liberals are gun loving pro 2A. I know more conservitives seem to farvor 2A, but it isn't along potical lines. Look at Bloomberg, he sold himself as a Republican conservative originally. We've had a few Republicans sell us out.
    A recent Rasmussen poll showed:
    Sixty-five percent of Republicans and 52% of voters not affiliated with either party do not support more gun control laws, but sixty-five percent of Democrats think more and stronger laws are needed. I don't believe that more gun control is needed. But I'm the minority in my own party, and I'm well aware of it. That's why I said "leftists" as opposed to "liberals" or "Democrats."

And Bloomberg never positioned himself as a conservative Republican (in New York, that means nothing). He joined up with them because the Democratic primary in NYC was too crowded.

Republicans are not perfect (Helmke, Brady) but see the poll number above. I've been voting outside of my party for several years because I want to see my rights expanded, but every election cycle when I think I can vote for my own they start talking about AWBs and registration and shutting down gun shows, so I just vote against them even if it is against my own economic interest.

(how many people except those on the left care if their coffee is organic or fair trade or grown only in a particular hillside in the mountains of Jamaica?)...

I am about as conservative as anyone I have run across and always have a pound or 2 of Blue Mt. stashed for those times when I want a really good cup of coffee...
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post

I am about as conservative as anyone I have run across and always have a pound or 2 of Blue Mt. stashed for those times when I want a really good cup of coffee...
    You might be the exception, here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links