Educating Wait Staff in a Virginia Restaurant

This is a discussion on Educating Wait Staff in a Virginia Restaurant within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I entered a sushi restaurant on Friday night, with my wife and several other friends, after the Sabbath evening service at our synagogue. I removed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Educating Wait Staff in a Virginia Restaurant

Educating Wait Staff in a Virginia Restaurant

I entered a sushi restaurant on Friday night, with my wife and several other friends, after the Sabbath evening service at our synagogue. I removed my sport coat upon entering, to comply with Virginia's current law making it illegal to conceal carry in an alcohol serving establishment. When our waiter was taking drink orders, I ordered an alcoholic beverage. He asked if that was a gun he had seen while I was entering. I confirmed that I had a gun. He informed me that Virginia had just passed a law allowing me to carry a gun into an alcohol serving establishment as long as I didn't consume alcohol. I politely explained that the new law hasn't even been signed by the Governor, won't take effect until July when he does, and only bars me from consuming alcohol if I am carrying a concealed firearm. As I was open carrying, neither the current law nor the future law would apply to me. Another man at our table (he and his wife both CHP holders) confirmed what I said, as did another guy who's a lawyer. Suitably convinced, he brought me my drink order. He thanked me for enlightening him and I asked him if he wanted to go shooting handguns with me. He was delighted that I asked and is interested in doing so. In 4 1/2 years of carrying, this was the first time that I was denied service in any establishment. I feel good that it ended on a good note.

I can't control your replies but I'd like to request that we refrain from turning this thread into a "thou shalt not drink alcohol while carrying" discussion. I'd rather this be a discussion of your state's laws regarding carrying in restaurants or your experiences while so doing.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You can carry OC or CC in Utah and consume alcohol. Just stay below .08%
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Not trying to hammer anyone, but what happend to the old addage guns and alcohol dont mix. I understand wanting a cocktail after a long day, but why not put the gun away?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post

I can't control your replies but I'd like to request that we refrain from turning this thread into a "thou shalt not drink alcohol while carrying" discussion. I'd rather this be a discussion of your state's laws regarding carrying in restaurants or your experiences while so doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    Not trying to hammer anyone, but what happend to the old addage guns and alcohol dont mix. I understand wanting a cocktail after a long day, but why not put the gun away?
    b1780.........Did you not read the whole post?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

apparently not, my apologies for missing that part. No harm intended. Had I seen that part of the post I would have kept my mouth shut. Again, no harm intended/

VIP Member
    Alcohol and gasoline don't mix either, but does that mean a person can't have 1 drink with dinner? After all a car is as dangerous if not more dangerous than a gun.

If an individual chooses to have a drink I see nothing wrong with it, as long as they don't overdue it.

Back to the original post. I'll be glad when the law changes, although I may continue to open carry. It will be nice to have the option. Only once in the 10 years I've lived here in VA has anyone ever approached me about carrying in a restaurant. A simple explanation of VA law resolved the question.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Good job!

Well handled!

That type of polite, well informed reply/response has turned the situation around from time-to-time.

Sometime, nothing will trump ignorance. But it is always worth a try and sometime it works.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Life is better when one stays calm and knows of what they speak.

Good job, jofrdo.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

I think what should be taken away from this, is that if you are right and you know it, the right attitude toward staff at establishments works much better than a bad attitude.

Nice!!

Wa law is a bit different.
    Weapons are not allowed in any area where you need to be 21 or older.
    open or concealed.
    luckly the food and bar locations have a section for your family. as we have a 4 year old and a 17 year old this works for us.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I think what should be taken away from this, is that if you are right and you know it, the right attitude toward staff at establishments works much better than a bad attitude.

Good work. I'm glad my state doesn't have laws like that. In Oregon nobody sees, nobody knows, and consequently nobody cares. Sounds like you handled it well.

I'd rather this be a discussion of your state's laws regarding carrying in restaurants or your experiences while so doing.

O.K....
    FL is very unique when it comes to alcohol and guns.
    First, bars are off limits while CCW...period!
    But, I like the but's, one can enter restaurants and actually have a meal with a drink and be armed.
    One cannot, however, sit in the bar portion of that same restaurant (Applebee's, or Outback's, etc.) and have a burger without having a drink...strange, but true.
    We can pretty much go everywhere to eat while armed...I don't do regular bars anyway. The FL laws are fine with me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hard to miss

apparently not, my apologies for missing that part. No harm intended. Had I seen that part of the post I would have kept my mouth shut. Again, no harm intended/
    Hard to miss. It was a separate paragraph in a very short post.

Besides, I think his gun actually was "put away". (In your hand = not put away. In your holster = put away).

Well, we could carry either open or concealed into restaraunts that served alcohol in Tennessee...for approximately six minutes. Then it was ruled unconstitutional by a judge, and we can't carry in them again.

(Six minutes is an exaggeration obviously. It just felt like it.)
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links