Stopped by cops for Open carry on Campus-Video. What do you think? - Page 5

Stopped by cops for Open carry on Campus-Video. What do you think?

This is a discussion on Stopped by cops for Open carry on Campus-Video. What do you think? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by razor02097 Its a moot point. You can NOT carry a gun on a University campus in Ohio. Concealed or not it is ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 138

Thread: Stopped by cops for Open carry on Campus-Video. What do you think?

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,083
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Its a moot point. You can NOT carry a gun on a University campus in Ohio. Concealed or not it is against Ohio law.
    The situation is: legal carry on a state-supported university campus. My question was as to whether a similar situation were legal in Ohio, in which the referenced statute were applied. My question was not speaking to a different scenario.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.


  2. #62
    LLT
    LLT is offline
    Member Array LLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post


    Great analogy!

    Or to carry the point a bit further, just because someone doesn't want to do "it" (what ever "it" is), doesn't make it wrong or dumb.
    Really? I thought it was a terrible analogy. It's legal to walk up to someone and call them a ######## because I don't like their shirt. Is it smart to do? It's legal to drive through the streets of Detroit sporting gang symbols on one's vehicle, are you going to do that because you can?

    Legal does not equal smart. You guys keep complaining about how your rights are going to be infringed upon by the fear mongers, yet you're not willing to meet halfway and keep them from seeing it, when asked. Out of sight, out of mind (and fear.) The subject in this video is not proving anything to the general population, except pushing them further away from his agenda.

    Keep pushing it... you know what they say about backing people into corners.

  3. #63
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The situation is: legal carry on a state-supported university campus. My question was as to whether a similar situation were legal in Ohio, in which the referenced statute were applied. My question was not speaking to a different scenario.
    I know that. I am telling you that Ohio prohibits by law carrying a gun onto University campus property.

    Lets say that law didn't exist... then you have the law stating that gun buster signs are legally binding.

    to make it a valid hypothetical situation you would have to ignore several Ohio laws.

    Yeah it sucks the guy in the OP was confronted but if I went to UVU and was allowed to carry I would be happy as a fly on ****. Here in Ohio you can barely drive through a school zone while armed. They also recently allowed University students to lock up their guns in their trunks.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

  4. #64
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Really? I thought it was a terrible analogy. It's legal to walk up to someone and call them a ######## because I don't like their shirt. Is it smart to do? It's legal to drive through the streets of Detroit sporting gang symbols on one's vehicle, are you going to do that because you can?

    Legal does not equal smart. You guys keep complaining about how your rights are going to be infringed upon by the fear mongers, yet you're not willing to meet halfway and keep them from seeing it, when asked. Out of sight, out of mind (and fear.) The subject in this video is not proving anything to the general population, except pushing them further away from his agenda.

    Keep pushing it... you know what they say about backing people into corners.
    well said
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

  5. #65
    Member Array CplVargas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Really? I thought it was a terrible analogy. It's legal to walk up to someone and call them a ######## because I don't like their shirt. Is it smart to do? It's legal to drive through the streets of Detroit sporting gang symbols on one's vehicle, are you going to do that because you can?
    You madero, you say it's a terrible analogy yet you pose two idiotic scenarios that don't compare to OC'ing in Utah. The state legislature didn't pass a law specifically to drive through Detroit sporting gang symbols on your car. However, the state legislature DID pass laws in Utah specifically to allow OC on college campuses and some legislatures passed laws to allow interracial marriage.

  6. #66
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by CplVargas View Post
    You madero, you say it's a terrible analogy yet you pose two idiotic scenarios that don't compare to OC'ing in Utah. The state legislature didn't pass a law specifically to drive through Detroit sporting gang symbols on your car. However, the state legislature DID pass laws in Utah specifically to allow OC on college campuses and some legislatures passed laws to allow interracial marriage.
    I think you missed the point. Just cause you CAN do something doesn't always mean its smart to do it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

  7. #67
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    It's legal to drive through the streets of Detroit sporting gang symbols on one's vehicle, are you going to do that because you can?
    Wow? Talk about a terrible analogy.

    Comparing the likely reaction of gang member seeing you do something he doesn't like to the reaction of an Officer of the Law seeing you do something that is legal???



    As I posted before:

    Disclaimer: I have CC on College Campuses to avoid the hassle -- especially when attending events where me being hassled would have created hardship, logistical problems, etc for others with me and when I thought it was the best tactic for the event. OTOH, I do OC on campus to help educate the staff & students that it is legal -- to help them get over their unreasonable fear and offset the myth that the campus is completely a "Unarmed Victim Zone"
    and

    Are we a country of "The Rule of Law" or a "Country of of the Rule on Man"? The Law says, "This is right." The man says, "This is my opinion." Which is controlling the situation? The Law? The opinion?

    A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost. To be sure, each must decide if this hill is worth dieing for. But make no mistake, we are in a struggle to win back our rights and freedom -- or maybe just a struggle to keep the rights and freedom, which we still have.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  8. #68
    Member Array calynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    70
    Should you drive 45 instead of 55 in a 55 zone because the police tell you that you will get better mileage or that it's safer?? NO, not if you wanna drive 55! Go as fast as you want... up to 55 that is!

    That's why there is a limit, if you abide the limit, you aren't doing something wrong. Sure driving at 55 during a driving rain may not be the smartest thing, but it's the drivers prerogative... isn't it?

  9. #69
    VIP Member
    Array sigmanluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    Should you drive 45 instead of 55 in a 55 zone because the police tell you that you will get better mileage or that it's safer?? NO, not if you wanna drive 55! Go as fast as you want... up to 55 that is!

    That's why there is a limit, if you abide the limit, you aren't doing something wrong. Sure driving at 55 during a driving rain may not be the smartest thing, but it's the drivers prerogative... isn't it?
    In regards to the OCing on a campus, (I assume this is what you're referring to) then, yes, it is your prerogative.

    Regarding driving 55 during a driving rain, you can actually be ticketed for that, (in Utah, not sure about other states), it's called driving too fast for the conditions. So, this isn't the best example, but I understand what you're talking about.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

  10. #70
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,818
    We "had" a law here where they exempted those with CC licenses. Everyone kept real quiet about it, with the idea that if a CC gun was accidentally exposed... we were still legal. However, someone caught on to it ..... and after 2 yrs of it being legal, they are now changing the law and making it illegal for a CC licensed person to open carry.

    This guy was out to make an issue and did. The officer's advice was good advice to me.

    There's other ways to argue more effectively that open carry should be legal, which some people are doing with state representatives. However, incidents like this make it more difficult to get them convinced to vote for it.

  11. #71
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    However, incidents like this make it more difficult to get them convinced to vote for it.
    I think it's clear that the citizen "caused" nothing. Rather, the heavy-handed authoritarian response caused the uproar.

    The citizen was simply walking along. Yes, he was armed, little different than if done in his own neighborhood or in town. There was no threat, no aggression, and no attempt to instill fear or upset anyone, on the part of the citizen. Legislators should see this, even if heavy-handed law enforcement opts not to. After all, the legislators put into place the perfectly legal treatment of this benign act, yet the attack on liberty is made anyway.

    Incidents "like this"? One would think they would be seen for what they are.


    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Regarding driving 55 during a driving rain, you can actually be ticketed for that, (in Utah, not sure about other states), it's called driving too fast for the conditions.
    Statutes on driving behavior specify a variety of limits to that behavior, including outright speed, conditions (such as weather, traction, lighting, the presence of water/critters or other impediments). Clearly break any of the limits, and you're responsible for doing so.

    But, in this situation, the only real distinction between walking down one's own neighborhood street was the fact that this citizen was walking down the sidewalk at the university campus. According to the reports described so far, no "limits" were broken by the citizen: the carrying was legal; the state's preemption bars the state-funded university from twisting its knickers on this issue; there was no threat or aggression toward others; there was no overt offense given; there was no attempt to intimidate or influence others by the action. As such, there really wasn't any justification for any action against this citizen's liberties. The correct method to altering such behavior is, as some have pointed out, altering the legislative coverage of such activities. You want the behavior eliminated from your "back yard"? Speak with your legislator. Don't tramp on the liberties of citizens with zero regard for the law.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  12. #72
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post


    I can't get involved in this topic because the last time I did I was blasted thx for the chuckle andrOid!!!

  13. #73
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I think you missed the point. Just cause you CAN do something doesn't always mean its smart to do it.
    No point missed you decide to take a shower everyday I hope but you can slip and fall.....look up the stats....should you not be ALLOWED to take a shower cause it may cause you harm. I SAY WE BAN ALL SHOWERS.......... SO IT SHALL BE MASTER!!!!

  14. #74
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,062
    oooops I got involved!!

  15. #75
    VIP Member Array LongRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I also agree with the above. The officer has given the student every avenue, but he 9the student) is pushing the fact he wants to O/C i don't have any problem with the O/C but the student has been asked (in a VERY respectful manner) to just conceal the handgun for the time being, until a later date. The student is pushing his point and he's being asked to not O/C or he's going to get cited. Personally, if he has a CCW permit, just hide it and not get cited for it. Why bust the officers eggs at this point. Live to fight it another day, and not become a problem to the officers.
    if the officer had asked Rosa Parks to sit in the back of the bus because it made people angry she should of done so and not busted the officers chops

    if the officer had asked those colored boys to not eat in the white section because it disrupting the business they should of done so and not busted the officers chops

    if the officer had asked those black folks to not vote in that election because it made people afraid they should of done so and not busted the officers chops

    if the officer had asked that Rabbi to conceal that Star of David because it made people nervous he should of done so and not busted the officers chops

    if the officer had politely asked that Muslim to take off that turban because it made people nervous and afraid, he should have and not busted the officers chops

    Remember Archie Bunker who would say he was not a bigot he had colored friends, how he had nothing against "those people"? Well this is an Archie Bunker cop. If the officer was really pro 2A he would be talking to the complainant explaining that the OCing citizen was doing nothing wrong. Well within his rights. Explain to the citizen that while he understood their personal reluctance to accept the responsibility of carrying a gun. The citizen should thank those that do, because statistically it has been proven beyond a doubt to make the community safer, with less rape, less murder, less robbery, less assault, less violence and crime. But he does not do that because he is not really pro 2A. He lied to this citizens just as he Lied to God when he swore and OATH to protect and defend the Constitution. That lie tells me everything I ever need to know about that officer.

    Sadly this student is bowing down because he loves UVU. Even though UVU has no love for him and would prefer he be unarmed defenseless prey ala Virginia Tech. Today they got on step one gun closer to their goal thanks to his being a good subject and one officers contempt for the Constitution
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

    Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. University president opposes open carry law on campus
    By cyberdogg in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 11th, 2011, 11:29 PM
  2. Interesting article regarding TX open carry and campus carry
    By arawn in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
  3. A short video on why Open Carry should be legal
    By SubNine in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: February 26th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Search tags for this page

2917.11b ohio ccw
,
can i open carry on university property in ohio
,
can you get a ccw in ohio with a disorderly conduct
,
can you open carry on campus
,
college campus ohio open carry
,

is it legal to openly carry on ohio university campuses

,
ohio open carry on a college campus
,

open carry not prohibited on ohio's campuses

,

open carry ohio college campus

,

open carry on campus

,

open carry on campus ohio

,
open carry videos
Click on a term to search for related topics.