Stopped by cops for Open carry on Campus-Video. What do you think?

This is a discussion on Stopped by cops for Open carry on Campus-Video. What do you think? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ksl.com - Police confront student carrying gun on UVU campus Police confront student carrying gun on UVU campus March 8th, 2010 @ 6:54pm OREM -- ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped by cops for Open carry on Campus-Video. What do you think?

Stopped by cops for Open carry on Campus-Video. What do you think?

ksl.com - Police confront student carrying gun on UVU campus
    Police confront student carrying gun on UVU campus
    March 8th, 2010 @ 6:54pm

OREM -- A student confronted by police for openly carrying a gun at Utah Valley University says he's within his rights. Now advocates on both sides say his story points to a problem in Utah law.

The student posted on YouTube the confrontation he had with officers after they responded to a report of a man with a gun.

Steven Gunn of the Utah Gun Violence Prevention Center says it points to a problematic gap in Utah law that has not been addressed.

"I can't imagine what the reaction might be, well actually I can," he says, "of a student walking along the campus and seeing another student carrying a shotgun."

Gunn says Utah's gun laws are vague and don't clearly state whether open carry is legal. He says a bill clarifying that issue needs to be drafted.

The student told KSL he was not trying to make a fuss. He agreed to keep his gun concealed for now, but he doesn't feel he should have to.
    From what i understand he DOES have the right to do it, but maybe not the best idea.

In the video it seems he was trying to argue and "win" a debate instead of just doing what the officer said and then later making a call to someone who could inform the campus officers for any future troubles.

What do you guys think?

YouTube - Utah Valley University Cops, Open Carry Part 1
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

If OC is legal....why not? You can't control how other people "feel".....education is key...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

sounds like he was within his rights and knows the law to me.

This is a tough one. Utah is still feeling out the effects of their law/lawsuit to allow CCW holders on campus and people are still jumpy about it. Open carry so soon after they just won their rights is fairly provocative even in conservative, pro-gun Utah.

I can't say this would go over well at my campus.

While he may be within his right, there is no point in arguing. It looks as though the cop "understands" the law but is advising him that it is a better choice to conceal. I do agree that concealing is a better option if it will avoid drawing unnecessary attention my way.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

did the Tennessee guy go to Utah for a vaction lol
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    sounds like he was within his rights and knows the law to me.

+1
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    did the Tennessee guy go to Utah for a vaction lol
    haha!

This is likely not a going to be a popular opinion but here goes:
    Obviously this is one of the few campuses that permits concealed carry. Even in very pro-gun states permitting firearms on campus is not widely accepted. The folks that go to this school should feel fortunate that they have the option to be armed even if it means the firearm must remain concealed. I agree with the cop, there is a very good chance that running around campus with an exposed firearm is all the reason the other side needs to band together and make the possession of any firearm, in any manner illegal, on the campus.

If I was a student there and quietly carried concealed every day I would be upset with this guy for putting my ability to protect myself at risk.
    I just want to protect myself and family, I'm not interested in changing anyone's opinion about guns or making a statement.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Obviously this is one of the few campuses that permits concealed carry.
    Public post secondary schools in Utah cannot prohibit carrying.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Steven Gunn is anti gun?
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If OC is legal....why not? You can't control how other people "feel".....education is key...
    Education by 911, can save LEO resources and not divert officers to no violations.

Somewhere around here I have a script that a local PD wrote for their 911 operator, re: the Virginia Tuck. I try to find it and post it.

It went something like this:

REPORT OF A GUN IN A BAR

Q: You say there is a man/woman in a bar with a gun, is that right?

Q: What is he/she doing with it? (waving, threatening, pointing, shooting = dispatch).

Q: Does he/she have it out of the holster, in their hand waving, threatening, pointing, shooting ? (A: Yes = dispatch).

Q: Has he/she made any threatening remarks to you or to anyone else? (A: Yes = dispatch).

Q: Does he/she appear to be intoxicated? (A: Yes = dispatch).

Q: Is the gun concealed and you happened to get a glance at it or is it holstered in plain sight? (A: Concealed = dispatch).

Q: Are you the owner or an employee of the restaurant and have you asked the patron to leave, or is the business conspicuously posted? (A: Yes = dispatch).

Otherwise: (Thank the caller for their concern, advise caller that a customer is within his/her rights to open carry a gun in that situation and to please call back if the man/women breaks the law by waving, threatening, pointing, shooting, or getting intoxicated, etc.)

IMHO -- they need something like that on all campuses where carry is legal.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 9th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    While he may be within his right, there is no point in arguing. It looks as though the cop "understands" the law but is advising him that it is a better choice to conceal. I do agree that concealing is a better option if it will avoid drawing unnecessary attention my way.
    I also agree with the above. The officer has given the student every avenue, but he 9the student) is pushing the fact he wants to O/C i don't have any problem with the O/C but the student has been asked (in a VERY respectful manner) to just conceal the handgun for the time being, until a later date. The student is pushing his point and he's being asked to not O/C or he's going to get cited. Personally, if he has a CCW permit, just hide it and not get cited for it. Why bust the officers eggs at this point. Live to fight it another day, and not become a problem to the officers.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    I attended UVU a few years ago when it was still UVSC. I live only 15 minutes from the campus.

As I watched this on the local news last night, I was disappointed with how the LEO handled the situation. No matter this LEOs opinion concearning OC on campus, it is legal with a valid permit.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links