Open carry at Cracker Barrel

This is a discussion on Open carry at Cracker Barrel within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife and I just got home from eating at Cracker Barrel, as I often do when going out to eat I was OC'ing. While paying ...

Thread: Open carry at Cracker Barrel

VIP Member

Wife and I just got home from eating at Cracker Barrel, as I often do when going out to eat I was OC'ing. While paying my bill the cashier asked me if I had a permit to carry. I informed him I did, but then told him it didn't really matter, since I was open carrying and a permit was not required.

After a few seconds hesitation he said "Oh that's right. I just don't see many people carrying a gun." He then informed me he is also an LEO. I thought to myself "to bad he doesn't know the laws he's suppose to enforce."
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

He and that Utah cop should take some classes on gun laws together.

Originally posted by archer51 ." He then informed me he is also an LEO. I thought to myself "to bad he doesn't know the laws he's suppose to enforce."
    Originally posted by The moonlighting cashier cop After a few seconds hesitation he said "Oh that's right. I just don't see many people carrying a gun."
    Sounds to me like he did know the law he just forgot for a second. Either way he wasn't a jerk , lighten up

I would've been curious to know what police agency he works for. I know police aren't paid the highest salaries but its surprising that he has to work a second job.

"Oh, that's right."? Yeah, right...more training for that LEO.
    Nice that you spent the time educating him.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I would've been curious to know what police agency he works for. I know police aren't paid the highest salaries but its surprising that he has to work a second job.
    He's probably part time, auxiliary or something like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I thought to myself "to bad he doesn't know the laws he's suppose to enforce."
    What law did he forget? Just cause something is legal such as open carry doesn't necessarily mean that there is a state law written for it.

Most beat cops have to remember laws a plenty. Most can't remember every Va law written is that expected? This is why we have a court system and books of state law.

I was going to ask why a cop was working the register at a cracker barrel..... but I think Sixto answered it already so nevermind.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I know a lot of our local law enforcement and safety workers work more than one job. They are paid decently but they have free time due to their schedule therefore they seek other ways to make ends meet.

JD
    Administrator
    Wife and I just got home from eating at Cracker Barrel, as I often do when going out to eat I was OC'ing. While paying my bill the cashier asked me if I had a permit to carry. I informed him I did, but then told him it didn't really matter, since I was open carrying and a permit was not required.

After a few seconds hesitation he said "Oh that's right. I just don't see many people carrying a gun." He then informed me he is also an LEO. I thought to myself "to bad he doesn't know the laws he's suppose to enforce."
    If you were OC'ing via "VA tuck" maybe he thought that you became "accidentally" exposed hence the question.

Now if you were planning on going out to eat, threw on an OWB and ended up at Cracker Barrel (I've never been to one that sells alcohol) yeah the question was off base, one of the reasons I liked eating at Cracker Barrel in VA (other than the fact we like the food there) was that OC was not required as they didn't serve alcohol.

While paying my bill the cashier asked me if I had a permit to carry. I informed him I did, but then told him it didn't really matter, since I was open carrying and a permit was not required.
    Responding in this manner just confuses the person asking. If you are OCing and are asked if you have a permit tell the person in no uncertain terms, "no because there is no such permit." You can follow up with something like "You are only required to have a permit if you are concealing". Sure you have a permit to conceal but that's not what's happening at the time. It's like you are riding a bicycle and someone asks if you have a drivers license. One has nothing to do with the other.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I know a lot of our local law enforcement and safety workers work more than one job. They are paid decently but they have free time due to their schedule therefore they seek other ways to make ends meet.
    And sock away extra for a retirement earlier than two years prior to one's natural demise...
    Why is it "shall not be infringed" is among the most misunderstood clauses of our Constitution?

I'm a Virginia Tech Alum, and that tragedy was avoidable! Even after losing more than twenty bright young minds, they still don't get it. I hope others do, and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Responding in this manner just confuses the person asking. If you are OCing and are asked if you have a permit tell the person in no uncertain terms, "no because there is no such permit." You can follow up with something like "You are only required to have a permit if you are concealing". Sure you have a permit to conceal but that's not what's happening at the time. It's like you are riding a bicycle and someone asks if you have a drivers license. One has nothing to do with the other.
    I disagree. Keeping things both informative yet simple and discrete is critical in these issues.

"Sate law allows open carry without a permit" should be sufficient. If they twig, offer to call the local police department for clarification: "I see you're not convinced. Tell you what - let's call the local police department for clarification - would that be ok with you?"

95% of the time they'll defer - what criminal in their right mind would invite LEOs??
    Why is it "shall not be infringed" is among the most misunderstood clauses of our Constitution?

I'm a Virginia Tech Alum, and that tragedy was avoidable! Even after losing more than twenty bright young minds, they still don't get it. I hope others do, and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Most beat cops have to remember laws a plenty. Most can't remember every Va law written is that expected?
    "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." :)

There are so many laws on the books that is simply not possible to remember them all. Funny then that citizens are expected to follow them all.

That being said, the default "constitutional" position is that anything not explicitly illegal or prohibited is legal. If the cop is unsure of the law, technically he should err on the side of presuming innocence. Assuming of course per person in question is being peaceful and not hurting anyone or their property.

Sponsored Links