OC at Starbucks tonight

This is a discussion on OC at Starbucks tonight within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I figured I'd go head first into the controversy. I was bringing my one rifle back from the gunsmith when I decided I was going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC at Starbucks tonight

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Thumbs up OC at Starbucks tonight

I figured I'd go head first into the controversy.

I was bringing my one rifle back from the gunsmith when I decided I was going to stop at Starbucks to get a drink. I got some Decaf-chino of some sort

Anywho... I was OC with my Glock 36 since I left my 1911 at the gunsmith for a re-bluing. The staff didn't notice or care. I was waiting on my drink when a group of 3 guys sitting at the table behind me took notice to my Glock. They were the hippie emo looking type. I'm standing there in my work boots, jeans, a flannel button up shirt and a hunting camo ball cap. I stand out. Mind you it is finally comfortable out so I didn't have my jacket.

The one guy spoke up and said

Him: "I guess you heard about the Starbucks policy"?
    Me: "Sure did"
    Him: "Is that why you are carrying in here"?
    Me: "No, I wanted a drink"
    Him: "Why do you think you need that"?
    Me: "Why do you think you need your seat belt"?
    Him: "Well that's different" <-- I could tell he was grabbing for something here.
    Me: "How so"?
    Him: Umm...
    Me: "I carry for the same reason you wear a seat belt, and for the same reason you have a fire extinguisher. Do I expect a fire? I hope not, but I'm prepared if I have one. It's the same reason I have this gun, just in case"
    Him: "Hmm... I didn't think about it that way".
    Me: "Most people don't"

I handed him a PAFOA flyer and explained the law to him after our initial chat, why I choose to OC, and why I choose to patronize establishments that respect the laws of the state and not ones that ban firearms.

He was just a misinformed

I set him strait, and he seemed willing to learn which was nice

2. Remove Ads

Poor little , but at least this group sounds as if they may have learned something from you...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's funny because I work with another guy who is a little bit of a gun guy. Not quite like some of us, but he still likes 'em. So we always notice and even try and pick out people concealing. I rarely say something but everynow and then I'll ask somebody what they're carrying if I can't quite see the whole thing. (this is of course after some discussion leading to guns and stuff to make sure they aren't going to freak out)

I haven't really seen more people OCing in my store (I work for SBux). But there was a guy today, but I think he usually does. Other gun owners that we talk to are usually excited that the staff doesn't freak out like some places do and we have a good gun conversation.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Good job on talking with the sheepseeesss.

Starbucks policy does make me feel better about the occasional purchase I make there. Its what I've said for years now, "What this country needs is a good four dollar cup of coffee."

Sounds like a great conversation, well played!

I have bought more Starbucks coffee in the past couple of weeks than I have in my whole life before now.

I think it is great that they took a stand and I will support them with my dollars for it!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Glad that you got to give him something to think about. I try to be kind and informative rather than sullen, because I want people who are culturally anti-gun to have a good experience and rethink their position.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I applaud your understanding and patience. I have neither and dont feel I should have to explain to people why I do the things I do. My wife always tells me I need to be more "personable"...maybe she's right.

VIP Member
    Great job, education is the key to increasing the number of voters on our side. The ones who are willing to listen are out there, waiting for us to help them understand. Again, great job Pro2A!

Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Be careful thinking that Starbucks is supporting our right to carry. As an employee I think they are just trying to follow the law. Sure they could have fallen to the Brady Campaign but didn't. They are basically just trying to keep everyone as a customer right now.

They actually sent all stores a memo in response to this whole issue. They say they are going by the law and don't want to make our partners ask law abiding citizens to leave (which is awesome as some places will do that anyways). But they don't want to be the center of this argument. They've asked us not to give our opinions just their statement and don't want either side to make them a center of this argument.

I wish I had somebody to talk to so I could let them know how much business they're gaining because of it. But I don't think they'd really be all that interested in it.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
    Be careful thinking that Starbucks is supporting our right to carry. As an employee I think they are just trying to follow the law. Sure they could have fallen to the Brady Campaign but didn't. They are basically just trying to keep everyone as a customer right now.

They actually sent all stores a memo in response to this whole issue. They say they are going by the law and don't want to make our partners ask law abiding citizens to leave (which is awesome as some places will do that anyways). But they don't want to be the center of this argument. They've asked us not to give our opinions just their statement and don't want either side to make them a center of this argument.

I wish I had somebody to talk to so I could let them know how much business they're gaining because of it. But I don't think they'd really be all that interested in it.
    Red82
    If I'm reading this right, and you are a Starbucks employee, Front Sight Firearms Training is giving a 4 day defensive handgun training course to any current Starbucks employee. I’m on their email list and got the info a couple days ago. I’ve been to the 2 day handgun course w/ my wife, and we both learned and enjoyed much.
    PM me if interested and I’ll send you the info.

What holster were you using?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yes they are following the law, however there also exists in the law the ability for them to ban OCers as trespassers. I think they have correctly figured out that raving antis are outnumbered by raving pros.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

GM
    Good job! I wish I could be like you, but I gave up for a long time ago concerning arguing with antis.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have bought more Starbucks coffee in the past couple of weeks than I have in my whole life before now.

I think it is great that they took a stand and I will support them with my dollars for it!
    Yeah...there are others here whose drinks I like better...but now I almost feel like I have to stop at SB.

And I'm 99% CC...
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links