First Open Carry, Great Experience

This is a discussion on First Open Carry, Great Experience within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My boyfriend and I open carried Monday night around Reno. We were a bit nervous because when he first moved here a local gun store ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Open Carry, Great Experience

Smile First Open Carry, Great Experience

My boyfriend and I open carried Monday night around Reno. We were a bit nervous because when he first moved here a local gun store employee said that he didn't recommend open carrying here because it freaks people out. It didn't turn out that way though. We ran into two types of people on our adventures Monday night: the curious and the oblivious.

The curious wanted to know: What's that on your hip? What type of gun is that? Is that legal? Can I do that? Most vocalized their questions, but a few people who walked by me had questions, I could tell by their facial expressions, but they didn't say anything. To these people, I nodded, smiled and said hello so they would know I am approachable. The rest seemed not to realize we were carrying at all.

I learned a lot from open carrying. First, my holster isn't very comfortable. Second, I need to move and sit differently with a gun on my hip than I do when I'm not carrying. Third, balancing on one foot while bent over to try on shoes when there isn't a place to sit down is even more difficult with a gun on your hip (at least with my holster).

I was excited that my first open carry experience was so fun and so positive. I will be open carrying more frequently. Any advice for me?

For any locals who might be interested in open carrying to the places we had good experiences with:

We went to the Starbucks on the corner of Arlington and Plumb, the AT&T store near McCarran and South Virginia, In-N-Out Burger at South Virginia and East Patriot and the Goodwill thrift store and the Fed-Ex Kinkos' both in the shopping center across from Whole Foods at South Virginia and Neil Road.
    Last edited by gglovesguns; March 10th, 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats on the good first experience! Hope they all go as well.

In my experience, only about 10% of people notice.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks~

I was really surprised at how few people noticed! I expected to feel awkward, stick out like a sore thumb, have throngs of people eyeballing me, but not so! It makes me wonder how many times an open carrier crossed paths with me before I was turned onto guns. I don't remember ever having seen someone open carry, but now I realize I probably have seen it a million times but just didn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by gglovesguns View Post
    To these people, I nodded, smiled and said hello so they would know I am approachable.
    Bingo! The girls get it, the guys, not so much, and instead tend to adopt a surly attitude.

People size us up mostly on our attitude. A cheery smile, a wave, a kind word, a query such as "How're you doing this fine day?" goes a LONG (like 95%) of the way towards dispelling any doubts that we're honest, ordinary citizens simply going about our business.
    Why is it "shall not be infringed" is among the most misunderstood clauses of our Constitution?

I'm a Virginia Tech Alum, and that tragedy was avoidable! Even after losing more than twenty bright young minds, they still don't get it. I hope others do, and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gglovesguns View Post
    Thanks~

I was really surprised at how few people noticed! I expected to feel awkward, stick out like a sore thumb, have throngs of people eyeballing me, but not so! It makes me wonder how many times an open carrier crossed paths with me before I was turned onto guns. I don't remember ever having seen someone open carry, but now I realize I probably have seen it a million times but just didn't notice.
    I visited my folks for dinner once, hugged my Mom when I entered the house, helped cook the meal for 30+ minutes, scurrying around the kitchen with her, bustling left, right, all over the place, really.

As we were eating, Dad turned the conversation to open carry and I asked my Mom what she thought about it, and she said, "I wouldn't allow it at my dinner table!" at which point my Dad busted out laughing, I grinned, and got up, removing my firearm to their office.

She was dumfounded, all the more extraordinary because she usually notices everything.

Second visit, I simply removed it to the office. Third visit she said, "Ok, you can carry at the table."

Gotta love Moms! I do.
    Why is it "shall not be infringed" is among the most misunderstood clauses of our Constitution?

I'm a Virginia Tech Alum, and that tragedy was avoidable! Even after losing more than twenty bright young minds, they still don't get it. I hope others do, and soon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I visited my folks for dinner once, hugged my Mom when I entered the house, helped cook the meal for 30+ minutes, scurrying around the kitchen with her, bustling left, right, all over the place, really.

As we were eating, Dad turned the conversation to open carry and I asked my Mom what she thought about it, and she said, "I wouldn't allow it at my dinner table!" at which point my Dad busted out laughing, I grinned, and got up, removing my firearm to their office.

She was dumfounded, all the more extraordinary because she usually notices everything.

Second visit, I simply removed it to the office. Third visit she said, "Ok, you can carry at the table."

Gotta love Moms! I do.
    That's a great story! My mom didn't notice me OCing at her house for at least the first 3 hours the first time I did it.

PS.....What plane is that cockpit from?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Smile

Bingo! The girls get it, the guys, not so much, and instead tend to adopt a surly attitude.

People size us up mostly on our attitude. A cheery smile, a wave, a kind word, a query such as "How're you doing this fine day?" goes a LONG (like 95%) of the way towards dispelling any doubts that we're honest, ordinary citizens simply going about our business.
    I was careful about my attitude because I didn't want anyone to have a negative impression of me and carry that over to other open-carriers. In one store, a cashier who knew me chatted with me about how she was more than ready to be off of work. I said that I felt that way too-- by a quarter till I was fed up with and ready to go home. Then I realized that I probably shouldn't have said that. Someone overhearing our conversation heard me, armed, announce that I was fed up. That could be taken the wrong way! Next time I'm out, I'll watch my attitude AND my mouth!

Smile

Gotta love Moms! I do.
    Good story! And good job politely winning Mom over.

Tip#1...when carrying bend at the knees not the waist (OC or CC).
    Tip#2...field test your equipment...at home or less public places, so you know what a comfortable holster is, what kinds of chairs etc will snag you rig, what things you bump into without giving them enough clearance etc. LOL

Tip #3...I open carry only with a holster with active retention...never know who will notice your gear and try a grab. Just a recommendation.

Hope these help.

Congrats, on your first experience.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

OC, quite the social experiment.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Glad to hear you had a good experience. My wife and I open carry around Reno on a regular basis and rarely have any problems.

I completely agree with greeting people politely while open carrying! I do it often here in NC and I get the same time of response everytime too! And not a single one has been negative.

There was one instance, however, when I was OCing in Concord and a middle-aged mom was walking in my direction. As she got closer I realized she kept staring at my gun as though she was beginning to feel uncomfortable but I simply greeted her by saying "How you doing, Maam?" And to my surprise she just puts on a gigantic smile and begins asking me what kind of gun it was and all that sort of stuff. That was probably my favorite encounter with the "oblivious" type.
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

GM
    Glad it worked out!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Tip#1...when carrying bend at the knees not the waist (OC or CC).
    Tip#2...field test your equipment...at home or less public places, so you know what a comfortable holster is, what kinds of chairs etc will snag you rig, what things you bump into without giving them enough clearance etc. LOL

Tip #3...I open carry only with a holster with active retention...never know who will notice your gear and try a grab. Just a recommendation.

Hope these help.

Congrats, on your first experience.
    Thank you for the pointers. I do have a bad habit of bending over at the waist instead of at the knees. I did practice at home, but I was still nervous!! I do want a retention holster, I'm having a hard time finding any leftie holsters locally, so I'll probably be ordering online. Do you have any sites you recommend?

Thanks again!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by njeske View Post
    Glad to hear you had a good experience. My wife and I open carry around Reno on a regular basis and rarely have any problems.
    We'll definitely be doing it more often. Maybe my boyfriend and I will bump into you guys while we're out sometime! So far, I haven't seen another Reno open-carrier but I know they exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links