Dealing with PESTS

This is a discussion on Dealing with PESTS within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; 10thmtn, PESTS is just a structure. Step away from it as needed. Just be VERY careful about turning your head and turning sideways. It does ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dealing with PESTS

10thmtn, PESTS is just a structure. Step away from it as needed. Just be VERY careful about turning your head and turning sideways. It does not sound like a big deal, but it is critical to staying on your feet if they attack. We see time and time again that when people turn sideways they end up getting dumped on the deck. Look at wrestlers. How do they approach on the mat? Sideways? No. That is begging to get taken down.

As to the fence.... Does anyone think that having your hands in your pockets is better than having hands up in front of your face if someone attacks you? The fence is NOT a rigid structure . It is like the tentacles of an octopus. The hands move to intercept or to preempt as necessary. You either cover up, or strike as needed. But you are doing it from a less obvious chambering than the classic "put your dukes up" position.

The hands act as a "sensor, and as a rangefinder. And you are already set to cover up or strike.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Are you saying that you prefer to begin a fight with your hands hanging limply at your side?
    No, I prefer to not begin a fight by not being there. That's why Cruel Hand's move to 3 or 9 makes sense. You are not making contact, you are making distance. If its time to use force, to lay on hands, its not time for half measures.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I particularly liked the comment in the video about how putting your hands up in a non confrontational way is still a way to subconsciously convey that you are putting up a physical barrier that both indicates that you are aware and that their actions may not go off as planned. A similar comment was made about moving slightly off of their center line, which in addition to being a tactical advantage will throw an aggressor off balance mentally.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No, I prefer to not begin a fight by not being there. That's why Cruel Hand's move to 3 or 9 makes sense. You are not making contact, you are making distance. If its time to use force, to lay on hands, its not time for half measures.
    Fence = not having to be there. Skillful analogy by Geoff. You applaud PESTS but reject Geoff's fence as a means of "Stopping encroachment". Do you have an alternative or do you just say, "PETS EAT FAST"? If so, you sound like the better fighter.
    Anyway, thanks for writing and posting this, Randy as it's definitely worthy of a sticky in my mind.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Thanks for posting this Cruel.

For me, orange has been the most useful/crucial stage.

Mostly the perps seem friendly on approach - but you have to ask yourself 'Why are they approaching me at all? and 'Why are they trying to get so physically close to me? That's not normal.'

My last GF was always in condition white when we first got together and often wondered how she was so unlucky to get into predicaments at all. It took a few incidents I witnessed and stopped and us talking them over to get her to see her part in them. I started with: "I can't always be around to protect you!" To be clear - her 'predicaments' were sexual predators approaching her all nicey nicey and sweet talking, so many of these tactics would seem paranoid to her at that time because she just trusted everyone was like her and not possibly up to bad things.

I appreciate threads like this, they really help iterate how important it is to be alert at all times, to the point where scanning your surroundings is something you do without thinking. A question though, what if you are carrying but are in a place/location/situation that allows for only pocket carry. In that situation could you edit the FENCE and put up your non dominant hand while having your draw hand in your pocket on your firearm? Or would a hybrid stance like this create problems that I am not foreseeing?

Any advice is always appreciated =)

Quote Originally Posted by Shughes View Post
    I appreciate threads like this, they really help iterate how important it is to be alert at all times, to the point where scanning your surroundings is something you do without thinking. A question though, what if you are carrying but are in a place/location/situation that allows for only pocket carry. In that situation could you edit the FENCE and put up your non dominant hand while having your draw hand in your pocket on your firearm? Or would a hybrid stance like this create problems that I am not foreseeing?

Any advice is always appreciated =)
    If you need to then simply go to a 1 handed fence and acquire grip on pistol....whether it is in your pocket or on your belt.

The POTENTIAL issue with pocket carry is that it is much harder to access and draw from when you are moving. I'm not saying "Never pocket carry" I'm saying just beware the limitations and plan accordingly.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Randy

Thanks for posting this great article I am send the link to my 20 year old son as well very good information on how to avoid being the victim.
    Son remeber this and you will go far ........

"The gunfight is in the head, not in the hands."
    +++++
    "God is Great... Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy"
    +++++

Really good posts, thanks to all that contributed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links