Question on FTF sales in NC

This is a discussion on Question on FTF sales in NC within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the legal way to sell a gun to someone face to face in NC? I know the guy can own the gun because ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Adrenaline

Thread: Question on FTF sales in NC

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

What is the legal way to sell a gun to someone face to face in NC? I know the guy can own the gun because he does have his NC CPL. I was wondering if it can be done just between the two of us or if I should go to a FFL dealer to do it?

According to the ATF, you only need to go through a FFL dealer if the sale crosses state borders. Let me pull up the link real quick for you from their website...
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member
    What he said
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

To add some clarification: It is if the residents are from different states then the sale needs to be completed by an FFL in the purchasing resident's state. For example, if you were to be in Memphis, TN and sell to a person in West Memphis, AR it would be best to bring the weapon with you physically to an FFL in the buyer's state of Arkansas to complete the transaction. Of course, if you cannot do this due to distance you will end up involving more than one FFL (on both the seller's and buyer's end).

For those worried about legal exposure using an FFL within a state is a nice way to eliminate the exposure since it becomes the FFL who does the check and transfers the weapon rather than you.

In NC, state law requires the buyer to give the seller a NC pistol permit whenever each pistol changes hands btw NC legal citizens unless the buyer has a CHL. All outta state dealings go through a FFL.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    In NC, state law requires a pistol permit whenever a pistol changes hands btw citizens unless the buyer has a CHL.
    Another reason why North Carolina is not on my list of places to retire to.
    OldVet and pittypat21 like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    If the buyer has their concealed carry permit then no FFL is required. If you don't know this individual, I would ask to see (and show) ID to verify that it matches permits and write up a simple bill of sale with name, address, and serial numbers.

This is how I bought my first gun. Its perfectly legal and legit.

If they don't have a carry permit, obtain a pistol purchase permit from them. I've seen debates about copies of a PPP and personally wouldn't accept one as it is one permit per purchase.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    In NC, state law requires the buyer to give the seller a NC pistol permit whenever each pistol changes hands btw NC legal citizens unless the buyer has a CHL. All outta state dealings go through a FFL.
    But I can legally purchase a much more deadly weapon without a permit--a car! Likewise, I moved from NC many moons ago and haven't looked back.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have thought many times of moving to South Carolina, cheaper gas, taxes, etc, however stay. Here in NC due to My old mother and wife's teaching job.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Links