Hunting with Suppressors

This is a discussion on Hunting with Suppressors within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is a lot of confusion about the legality of hunting with suppressors on the Internet. Part of this comes from the fact that many ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By HotGuns
  • 4 Post By C hawk Glock
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Hunting with Suppressors

Senior Moderator

Hunting with Suppressors

There is a lot of confusion about the legality of hunting with suppressors on the Internet. Part of this comes from the fact that many people don't realize that the world is not the same everywhere you go. The United States is comprised of 50 states and they all have their own laws, so what it perfectly acceptable in one state may be punishable by a fine and jail time in another.

These days, the ownership and use of suppressors, also known as silencers, is getting very popular, so much so that several states this year have amended their laws to allow hunting with suppressors. The use and ownership of suppressors is really not difficult. You fill out a Form, get some fingerprints and pictures, get a CLEO sign off and send 200 bucks to the BATFE. The only thing hard about is waiting for the BATFE to approve the paperwork so that you can pick up your suppressor when the paperwork comes in.

Of course, it must be legal to own in the state you reside in. Some states allow ownership of them but not hunting, others allow ownership of them and hunting.

There are no downsides to hunting with suppressors really, in fact, its a good thing to do. In many cases a properly mounted suppressor will actually enhance the accuracy of the bullet. This is because the suppressor( which we'll call a "can" from here on out) strips the gases that normally overtake the bullet and destabilize it by slamming into the base. The bullet due to its shape, eventually stabilizes itself, but without the gasses acting upon it, it flies much truer and thus is more accurate. Also, recoil is reduced considerably. Another benefit to that is that the reduction of sound also tends to help "flinching" and anticipation of the shot that can cause one to pull the shot off target.

The best thing about hunting with a can is that because the shot is alot quieter, you will see more game than you ever saw before because you aren't alerting everything within a two mile radius when they hear a shot. An example of this would be when squirrel hunting. When using a can it is common to be able to shoot several squirrels out of one tree...to them the shot doesn't sound much different than an acorn falling through the leaves, they barely notice it.

I probably don't need to mention the obvious, but I will. It is so much easier on the ears that shooting becomes a pleasurable experience. You can talk to your buddies in normal tones and when one of you shoot, it wont ring your ears. It really does protect the hearing.

As of right now, the it is legal to hunt with silencers in the following states. According to Gemtech, one of the leading silencer manufacturers,here is the list from their website:

Alaska
    Arkansas
    Arizona
    Colorado
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Maryland
    Missouri
    Minnesota
    Montana (non game animals only)
    North Dakota
    Nebraska
    New Mexico
    Nevada
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Virginia
    Washington
    Wisconsin
    West Virginia

Its getting better and more states are considering loosening the restrictions on suppressors. As always, check your local laws and regulations to stay current because the laws are constantly changing.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A can is the only way to go. Many times if hunting predators they will run towards you instead of away. Check out this suppressed hunting video it's crazy.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    That was a good video.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Very nice video - thanks for sharing.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    U.S. Navy 1965 - 1978

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post, HotGuns.

Many times, I've started to PM you and ask you to hook me up, but they've taxed suppressors to where they are cost prohibitive to me (once the hardware is included). I just can't justify it. It makes no sense why our government wants to make it so difficult.

That was a good video

I can imagine how exciting that must be to have 6 yotes closing in

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Pretty cool,with the drop in fur prices etc the trapping/hunting for fur has dropped a lot and there has been a surge in the populations causing problems for farmers/ranchers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not allowed in Canada.

I wish we were! The entire problem of hearing loss is a major deterrent to me, and a huge source of frustration if I'm not just nesting. I want to be able to hear before and after a shot!
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Are you allowed to loan a suppressed weapon to hunt with ? Kenneth

Very interesting...I had no idea it wa legal anywhere. Unless something has changed, MI prohibits possession altogether.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth66 View Post
    Are you allowed to loan a suppressed weapon to hunt with ?
    Only if it is registered in a trust and the persons name is on that trust.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; January 13th, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Wyoming is trying to get it passed this legislative session.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Georgia tried passing legislation last year (2012), but failed miserably. A lot of misinformation was getting tossed around. It may have a chance this year.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I think as more states, esp Fl and Ga attempt to curtail the damage done by feral hogs, we'll see more supressors in play.

dan

FDE
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Very interesting...I had no idea it wa legal anywhere. Unless something has changed, MI prohibits possession altogether.
    Actually things have changed in Michigan...
    AG - Schuette: Federally Registered Noise Suppressors Permitted Under State Law
    You can now own but so far hunting is still a no-go.
    There have been groups working to change the DNR's negative opinion on suppressors for hunting.

Links