Out of state, private party transfer - Page 2

Out of state, private party transfer

This is a discussion on Out of state, private party transfer within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by NC Bullseye ANY handgun purchase from a party in a different state MUST go through a FFL in the recipients state of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Out of state, private party transfer

Re: Out of state, private party transfer

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    ANY handgun purchase from a party in a different state MUST go through a FFL in the recipients state of residency. That is the feds law. With the party in AL he is in neither of the states you could possibly consider your home state of residency so you must have the gun sent to an FFL in YOUR state of residency.

You REALLY need to figure out what state you are claiming residency in. If you still have an Iowa license and a house there I'm guessing your still paying taxes there as a resident and you have stated that your current job in TX is a temp job but you are considering making it permanent so you may be on the verge of getting yourself in a major jam unless you can legally switch your residency to TX and have the gun sent to a TX FFL. Otherwise you may want to pass.

Another aspect is you need to insure that what ever FFL you use in TX will accept your gun from another FFL out of state. Some FFLs get very picky on what they receive in for transfer.

You need to talk to a FFL that is local to you and figure out the best way to go.
    Thank you.

The situation isn't normal, but the only real hang up is not having a Texas DL, which seems to be easily rectified.

Thanks everybody for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinlifter View Post
    I couldn't agree more, and I'm asking questions to make sure I do everything right.

The seller is in AL.

Now, i forgot to mention part of this, so i am going to ask again just so I have this straight, he is taking it to a dealer and doing a transfer on his end. After this, wouldn't the gun be in my name? Would I still have to have it shipped to an FFL dealer for the transfer?
    The blunt answer to this is .... NO. It has to be shipped to an FFL in the state of your residency, and they transfer it to you. When he hands it to an FFL in Alabama, he just transfers it to the FFL in your state of residency that you gave them. It is "NOT" in your name per se, until the FFL in the State of your residency transfers it to you and hands it to you.

My bet is, unless you can declare residency in Texas and have a Texas ID , then it will have to be sent to an FFL in Iowa. Talk to an FFL locally, and find out what they tell you.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

You must, by Federal Law, take posession of the Handgun, in the State of your residence. Residence, meaning where your driver's license is issued. One exception is that if you're current Active Military, you can take posession of the handgun in the State where you currently reside, with the presentation of your current military orders.
    Example: You are on duty in Maine, The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, for upgrades and such, but your drivers' license says Tennesee. You can take possession of the handgun, providing you present your orders that say you're in the Shipyard for upgrades to your boat. See what I'm saying.
    The same goes for a PG (Pistol grip) shotgun, you must take dilivery of it in your state of residence.
    Now, you can buy a rifle or shotgun, do the paperwork and walk out the door, but handguns are different.
    Just trying to help clear up any misconceptions
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks for all the information.

I am going to have to get a Texas identification card regardless, but I now have a clear understanding of how the process will work.

Thank you.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Another aspect is the good-ole-boy factor:

You don't want to buy a battery at WalMart and ask your local mom-and-pop auto parts store to charge it for you. Poor form...

In this case, the local gun shops have lost so many sales to the Internet that they have to have other income streams to keep the lights on (and keep the toys in the case for you to play with). FFL fees are rough, but they help the local guys stay afloat. Call it charity if you wish (and don't begrudge it).
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

On that matter, with the ffl fees plus the cost, I'd be into a used gun for more than a new one, so I'm just gonna purchase a new one locally.

Once I get my birth certificate from my safe deposit box in Iowa so I can get a Texas DL :(

FFL sellers state to FFL the state you're in I think.

I can't hardly believe this thread is still open.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I'll bet the OP made it back to Iowa in the 1.5+ years since he posted, got his birth certificate, and got his Texas DL. lol.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    FFL sellers state to FFL the state you're in I think.

I can't hardly believe this thread is still open.
    We don't close threads unless there's a reason to. We are, however, amused when people comment on threads that have been dormant for 18+ months.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Not the oldest thread resurrection I have seen though.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links