Out of state, private party transfer

This is a discussion on Out of state, private party transfer within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I finally pulled the trigger so to speak, and I am purchasing my first weapon. I'm getting it used from another private party off ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Out of state, private party transfer

Out of state, private party transfer

Well, I finally pulled the trigger so to speak, and I am purchasing my first weapon. I'm getting it used from another private party off an internet website.

Never purchased before, and I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.

I'm giving him $250, plus $25 for FFL fee and shipping. Does it have to be shipped to a dealer (I am currently residing in Texas)? Or can I just have it shipped to my house?

Also, I still own a house in Iowa, but I am in Texas for my job and haven't changed my drivers license to Texas, will this be an issue to get my gun?

I'm looking forward to becoming the owner of a S&W Sigma .40, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

2. Remove Ads

Absolutely has to be shipped to an FFL. Beyond that, you need to be certain that you can legally own a handgun in accordance with your state laws before you can take possession. Part of that qualification is that you have to be a legal resident of the state in which you take delivery... and it sounds like that status is up in the air right now. Bottom line is, have the gun shipped to an FFL in your state of official residence.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Re: Out of state, private party transfer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Absolutely has to be shipped to an FFL. Beyond that, you need to be certain that you can legally own a handgun in accordance with your state laws before you can take possession. Part of that qualification is that you have to be a legal resident of the state in which you take delivery... and it sounds like that status is up in the air right now. Bottom line is, have the gun shipped to an FFL in your state of official residence.
    I've been in texas the majority of the time over the last year, I pay rent on a house, my kids go to school here, so legal resident isnt really much of a stretch for me.

So I need to line up an FFL dealer. What is a reasonable fee for them to charge? I talked to two gun ranges in the area of Fort Worth, TX. One was $50, and the other was $65... seems a little steep to shuffle a little paperwork around for me.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

VIP Member
    You may want to look here for an FFL with more reasonable fees. FFL Dealer Locator: Find FFL Dealers & Holders at Gunbroker.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The biggest issue you may run into is that you have to receive a handgun from a FFL in the state that you are a resident of. If your ID is Iowa you may have a problem.
    pittypat21, Eagleks and CLASS3NH like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I believe you can establish proof of residency with 6 months of rent receipts utilitys etc,You may need to get a Texas ID card if possible while retaining your Iowa drivers license,if you Are Active Duty Military you can use your ID and a copy of your orders IIRC
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I can get a Texas DL, just costs more LOL.

Not military... railroad on borrow out currently, but contemplating staying.

Simplest way is: purchase the item, paying the item's price and whatever fees necessary to get it shipped on its way; have it sent to a local FFL shop in your state of residence (where your driver's license is issued and home residence address exists); pay your FFL shop for its part in the transfer to your ownership. Easily confirmed by checking first with any FFL shop on the proper method of transfer. If concerned about some of the potential pitfalls in state/fed law you might be unaware of, going through an FFL shop can sidestep them all.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 26th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
    msgt/ret and Pinlifter like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

FFL fees are $50 here, but one place only charged $30 if you buy the gun through gunbroker.com. Call around.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Welcome to the community of gun owners, congratulations on becoming a citizen rather than a subject!

Before you get your shiny (or matte black) new gun, you should probably deal with your residency situation. If you are working in Texas, laying your head down at night in Texas, your kids go to school in Texas and you plan to vote in Texas - you are, for all intents and purposes, a Texas resident.

Per the Texas DPS website:

New residents moving into Texas, who are at least 16 years or older and have a valid driver license from another state, have 90 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas Driver License.
    Without this, purchasing a gun from or through a Texas FFL will be pretty much impossible.

Once you've got your new gun, I'd also suggest getting some instruction in how to safely use and care for it. The FFL you end up dealing with should be able to recommend a local instructor, and the NRA website will be a good resource - as would be asking here. Remember, going to the music store and buying a guitar doesn't make you a guitarist - and guns, unlike guitars, are definitely not suited to self-instruction. There have been very few fatalities caused by inexperienced guitar players...

Good luck!

joe
    ShooterGranny and spclopr8tr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinlifter View Post
    Well, I finally pulled the trigger so to speak, and I am purchasing my first weapon. I'm getting it used from another private party off an internet website.

Never purchased before, and I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.

I'm giving him $250, plus $25 for FFL fee and shipping. Does it have to be shipped to a dealer (I am currently residing in Texas)? Or can I just have it shipped to my house?

Also, I still own a house in Iowa, but I am in Texas for my job and haven't changed my drivers license to Texas, will this be an issue to get my gun?

I'm looking forward to becoming the owner of a S&W Sigma .40, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
    Do you have the legal ability to simply travel there in person to make a private sale?

What state is the seller in?

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Once you've got your new gun, I'd also suggest getting some instruction in how to safely use and care for it. The FFL you end up dealing with should be able to recommend a local instructor, and the NRA website will be a good resource - as would be asking here. Remember, going to the music store and buying a guitar doesn't make you a guitarist - and guns, unlike guitars, are definitely not suited to self-instruction. There have been very few fatalities caused by inexperienced guitar players...
    I couldn't agree more, and I'm asking questions to make sure I do everything right.

The seller is in AL.

Now, i forgot to mention part of this, so i am going to ask again just so I have this straight, he is taking it to a dealer and doing a transfer on his end. After this, wouldn't the gun be in my name? Would I still have to have it shipped to an FFL dealer for the transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Do you have the legal ability to simply travel there in person to make a private sale?
    Legal ability? Yes...

Logistical ability? No...

Work is crazy right now and I'm getting called back to work literally the minute my legal rest is up... the extra money is nice, but it kinda makes having a life difficult.

As far as my residency, I plan to go to a DPS office and get a Texas DL next week sometime. Probably for the best as we have been debating on making Texas our home anyway. The only things left in Iowa are about 8 years of seniority and a mostly empty house.

As far as voting, I voted absentee ballot in Iowa as I still technically claim residence in Iowa (still having Iowa taxes taken out of my paycheck), and I feel my vote was more important in a swing state... but that's neither here nor there.

ANY handgun purchase from a party in a different state MUST go through a FFL in the recipients state of residency. That is the feds law. With the party in AL he is in neither of the states you could possibly consider your home state of residency so you must have the gun sent to an FFL in YOUR state of residency.

You REALLY need to figure out what state you are claiming residency in. If you still have an Iowa license and a house there I'm guessing your still paying taxes there as a resident and you have stated that your current job in TX is a temp job but you are considering making it permanent so you may be on the verge of getting yourself in a major jam unless you can legally switch your residency to TX and have the gun sent to a TX FFL. Otherwise you may want to pass.

Another aspect is you need to insure that what ever FFL you use in TX will accept your gun from another FFL out of state. Some FFLs get very picky on what they receive in for transfer.

You need to talk to a FFL that is local to you and figure out the best way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links