Starting gun/shooting club.

This is a discussion on Starting gun/shooting club. within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I looked around and couldn't find a thread like this on here (maybe I missed it). A friend and I are wanting to start up ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigRay

Thread: Starting gun/shooting club.

I looked around and couldn't find a thread like this on here (maybe I missed it). A friend and I are wanting to start up a gun/shooting club and wanted to know if anyone knew where to look for the laws or regulations or just what it takes to start one up. I live in Missouri and haven't been able to find much out about and hoped maybe someone here could maybe point me in the right direction. We are also starting to get into reloading as well and would like to be able to give ammo to club members or have everyone pitch in to make it. If you have any suggestions or can help please let me know. Thanks.

I founded our county's public shooting sports complex about six years ago, and while it is not a club, I can offer some advice to make your job easier. First, come up with a business plan. Gun clubs often are not very profitable, and they end up relying on volunteer help and donations to keep them afloat. Second, look very closely at insurance. A gun club also requires a great deal of upkeep and maintenance, not to mention constant improvement if you are going to keep your existing clients and attract new ones. That alone is a tremendous time commitment. What kind of shooters do you hope to attract? How much space do you need?
    I answered many of those questions by going to the county board of supervisors, and proposing that they designate an unused piece of county-owned property adjacent to a closed landfill to use as a shooting range. They not only agreed, but also committed to paying for our insurance as long as the facility remained in operation. The facility is under the jurisdiction of the County Conservation Department, but it is operated, maintained and updated by a volunteer committee. To help cover our costs, we charge a user fee of $5 per shooter per day, or folks may purchase a season pass for $40. We are also only open on one weekends and one evening during the week so we can have an RO on duty. So far, we have: a shotgun range with a nice 3/4 cock doubles launcher (we plan to add a trap in the next year or so); a rifle range with steel gongs from 24"x24" down to credit card size at 100, 200 and 300 yards, and next month we're adding the same at 400, 500 and 600 yards. We also have a pistol range with moveable target stands for use from 5 yards to 95 yards. Both our rifle and pistol ranges have concrete slabbed, covered firing lines, and our rifle range features custom-built ambidextrous shooting benches. We even have an air rife range and an archery range. Check us out on Facebook by searching for North Hansell Shooting Sports Complex, or just North Hansell.
    One final thought: In most states, shooting ranges are regulated by the departement of natural resources, so you might check with the MoDNR to see how they can help. Good luck!
    miller_man likes this.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, you have no idea of how complcated that can get in today's world. The liability alone will mow you under. The days of the "Good Old Boys" forming an informal get together are coming to an end.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links