Small magnum pistol primers vs. regular small pistol primers

This is a discussion on Small magnum pistol primers vs. regular small pistol primers within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am just getting into reloading and I know in the reloading books that it says to not use small magnum pistol primers in place ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Small magnum pistol primers vs. regular small pistol primers

Small magnum pistol primers vs. regular small pistol primers

I am just getting into reloading and I know in the reloading books that it says to not use small magnum pistol primers in place of just small pistol primers. I have done some research and have found people have used them succesfully with no problems. Looking for any more ideas or maybe some references if anyone knows of any.

2. Remove Ads

Why would you want to use magnum instead of regular primers?

Certain powders, especially when densely loaded in a case, require a more intense ignition than standard primers provide. I'd be careful about substituting them indiscriminately, especially with fast-burning powders.
    bmcgilvray, Aceoky and Bad Bob like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've substituted magnum primers a few times for regular ones when I was loading a small batch of ammunition and unable to go buy primers just then. It works fine with light to moderate powder charge weights. Making such a substitution isn't the time to be loading favorite maximum charged handloads or experimenting with new full-powered handloads. It's easier to just keep ample quantities of all kinds of needed primers on hand ... or was prior to the present administration's emergence on the scene.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Why would you want to use magnum instead of regular primers?

Certain powders, especially when densely loaded in a case, require a more intense ignition than standard primers provide. I'd be careful about substituting them indiscriminately, especially with fast-burning powders.
    Because when all the regular small pistol primers are gone, you have a lot of small pistol magnum primers left over. I usually like to follow the recipe in the book; however, in a pinch I have used SPMP when there are no SP available. They have worked just fine.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Been using SP magnum primers for reloading since primers became scarce,I got around 9000 on hand and haven't had any p[roblems
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

As with anything else, proceed with caution. You stated you were just getting into reloading. Expermintation should usually come after experience. Don't just use the the magnum primer in place of the sp primer without making appropiate changes to the powder charge and working your way up to a load. If you compare the Hornady manuel to the Speer manual you will notice Hornady use magnum primers for 357 mag where Speer uses the primer they think performed the best.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I had the same question and I decided to hold out for the standard primers. I'm still new enough in the hand loading game that I don't go outside what the book says.

The danger is too much pressure in max loads

As long as you adjust your powder throws down to compensate, using magnum primers isn't a problem.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Changing *anything* on a recipe means that you need to drop back on the powder and work up a new load, especially if you are talking about what was a max load previously. At one point, I just used magnum primers since that was what was available when I ordered online and I ended up with around 40K of them. I figured that since they were the same price as regular primers, I could just use a bit less powder and it would result in slightly less reloading costs. Regardless of whether you are switching from regular to magnum primers or even just changing brands of primers, you should drop back and work up the load again. If you are reloading to nowhere near max loads though, it's not really an issue from a pressure standpoint. These days, I also use rifle and magnum rifle primers in my handguns that can utilize them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Because when all the regular small pistol primers are gone, you have a lot of small pistol magnum primers left over. I usually like to follow the recipe in the book; however, in a pinch I have used SPMP when there are no SP available. They have worked just fine.
    ^^^^ this ^^^^

I do not, however, load to the max load.

Tried it as a fill in when I couldn't get WSP, did not run into any issues. As soon as WSP became available, I switched back.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links