S&W640 sight

S&W640 sight

This is a discussion on S&W640 sight within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there any way to make or have installed a front night sight on a 640?...

Thread: S&W640 sight

S&W640 sight

Is there any way to make or have installed a front night sight on a 640?

I believe your front sight is pinned, so the answer is yes. Check out what Meprolight has to offer.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I guess mine might be an older one because it is not pined.Sight is a ramp which is just part of the barrel I guess you could say.I wondered if anyone had milled one down and made it into a pined sight somehow.I really like the revolver but sure wish it had a night sight in front.It guess it would cost to do that but I have a good friend who is a gun smith. He said he had never done it so I am asking around. He don't work on hand guns much.He builds rifles and rifle barrels and such.

can you post a pic... I am not aware of any 640's that have dont have a pinned sight. Having the front sight milled off could be quite costly, and it may not be worth it. I dont know where you are located but if you are interested I can give you the contact info og my smith. He has a full machine shop is very skilled. He is the only one who touches my guns, and his prices are very reasonable. He milled the slide on my CM9 so I could install night sights on it and did an outstanding job. he is an ffl so guns can be sent straight to him. PM me if you want his contact info.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

An acrylic insert would be easy to do on a fixed sight. Similar to the orange inserts on the S&W target sights. You could do any color you wanted.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Taurahe,you are right,it don't seem worth it.Superhouse15 You are also right ,an insert would not be so bad to do but I have never liked inserts much.I know,I am a strange bird,heard that before,several times. My revolver says 640 on the frame in usual place. Serial starts with cen11xx.Has +P+ designation on frame in usual place. I think it is just an older one.

Does anyone have any idea when S&W started putting a pinned front sight?Mine has no pin.

Links