Changing Glock Rear Sights - Must Have Tools?

This is a discussion on Changing Glock Rear Sights - Must Have Tools? within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I've finally broken down and I'm going to drop a set of night sights on my EDC. After everything I've been reading, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Changing Glock Rear Sights - Must Have Tools?

VIP Member

Ok, so I've finally broken down and I'm going to drop a set of night sights on my EDC. After everything I've been reading, I think I should be able to replace the sights myself. For you Glock folks that have replaced your rear sights, do you really need a sight pusher to get the rear set up?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

A sight pusher is never needed, but makes the job a lot easier. I have replaced the sights on several rifles and handguns, and i never had a pusher and it was doable but a PIA. The sights on glocks are polymer and repeated tapping with a hammer and punch may damage them, if you wanted to keep them. also, you risk more damage to the firearm with out using a pusher than you do with IMO
    GhostMaker likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Yeah, I would like to hang on to the stock rear, although I think I'd probably go to a plain black rear if, for some reason, I don't care for the night sight rear. I'm not really that picky, especially for a defensive gun, so I'll probably never take 'em back off...
    NRA Life Member

I did it twice with the slide in a padded vise and a brass punch. No big thing. Didn't destroy the factory sight. Your mileage may vary of course.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have a sight pusher because I am addicted to Glocks and have changed out the sights to most of them. Just makes my life that much easier.

Glock 17 Or 19 Tool Set : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
    PluggedNickle likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Ok, so I've finally broken down and I'm going to drop a set of night sights on my EDC. After everything I've been reading, I think I should be able to replace the sights myself. For you Glock folks that have replaced your rear sights, do you really need a sight pusher to get the rear set up?
    For Tritium sights, you absolutely have to use the proper tools, including a sight press for the rear sights on most handguns. If you use a hammer or mallet on Tritium sights, you can damage the inserts.
    FlaRon and MattInFla like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I've done the job twice. I put the XS Big dot on my G19 and on my G17 I swapped out the stock plastic rear sight for the steel one the Glock Store sells for $20. The job is doable without a sight pusher. I happen to have one and it sure makes the job easy. The steel rear sight for the G17 was a very snug fit to install and without the pusher I'd have had to do some beating.
    FlaRon likes this.

VIP Member
    Hmmm... I guess I'm going to start asking around and see if anyone I know locally owns a sight pusher that I could borrow; it's sounding like that's the safer way to go.
    NRA Life Member

You can make your own with a few pieces of scraps and some bolts from a hardware store.
    Universal Hand Gun Sight tool - Home - El Cajon, CA

http://www.sightpusher.com/0_0_0_0_1...g?u=3716895496
    Caertaker likes this.

Had the same question hadn't started a thread on it. You guys are awesome!
    TX expat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Or try Amazon if you want to buy a cheap one for home use. No need to go all out if you're not a professional armorer.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    A padded vice to hold your slide, you can use small pieces of wood or rubber, a brass punch of the right size, too small and it will damage the sight, too big and it could contact the slide. A small hammer, and gently tap the rear sight out of the dove tail with the punch. Gently tap the new sight in place with the small hammer, and finish putting it in place with the punch. You tube has some videos on this procedure.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Or try Amazon if you want to buy a cheap one for home use. No need to go all out if you're not a professional armorer.
    I checked on Amazon but all the tools I saw were over $100. Maybe that's cheap for a sight pusher, IDK. That tool that Backwoodz linked is fairly inexpensive. I guess if I can't find one to borrow I may have to go that route. I really don't want to jack them up, my wife is buying them for Father's Day for me!
    NRA Life Member

I checked on Amazon but all the tools I saw were over $100. Maybe that's cheap for a sight pusher, IDK. That tool that Backwoodz linked is fairly inexpensive. I guess if I can't find one to borrow I may have to go that route. I really don't want to jack them up, my wife is buying them for Father's Day for me!
    Laying out the cash for a sight pusher really only makes sense if you have several of them to do. If you prefer not to tap them with a punch your local Gunsmith will probably do the job for about $20.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Had the same question hadn't started a thread on it. You guys are awesome!
    Oh, don't be saying things like that to TX expat. It will go straight to his head if it will fit under his wig.

And while we're at it, Hey--El Cheapo! Your LGS will probably do it for a nominal fee, cheaper than building your own pusher.
    TX expat and aznav like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links