the 12$ target rack

This is a discussion on the 12$ target rack within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, Wanted to build another target rack to mount steel silhouette to and thought I'd share them with you. This literally cost me 12$ ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frankmako

Thread: the 12$ target rack

the 12$ target rack

Hey all,
    Wanted to build another target rack to mount steel silhouette to and thought I'd share them with you.
    This literally cost me 12$ in lumber and decking screws
    What you will need,
    1. 2-3 8ft 2x4's
    2. Miter saw or circular saw
    3. Screws
    4. T-square
    5. Tape measure
    6. Brain.
    All I did was make a square box (whatever size you want is fine, just beware that the bigger you build it, you may need 45 degree supports for the rack), used the 2x4 as the leg, and use 1 foot sections to make the supports on the base. A lot of target racks online will go for 100+$ which is b.s. Pictures at bottom.
    -LinnyDSC_0207.jpg

2. Remove Ads

New Member Array Orphanedcowboy's Avatar
    Looks great.

Here is one I was considering before I bought mine.

I need an adjustable one, so I bought a Targetmeister.

WWW.TARGETMEISTER.COM

The shotgun patterning setup:

Sent from my Tesla coil

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Hey all,
    Wanted to build another target rack to mount steel silhouette to and thought I'd share them with you.
    This literally cost me 12$ in lumber and decking screws
    What you will need,
    1. 2-3 8ft 2x4's
    2. Miter saw or circular saw
    3. Screws
    4. T-square
    5. Tape measure
    6. Brain.
    All I did was make a square box (whatever size you want is fine, just beware that the bigger you build it, you may need 45 degree supports for the rack), used the 2x4 as the leg, and use 1 foot sections to make the supports on the base. A lot of target racks online will go for 100+$ which is b.s. Pictures at bottom.
    -LinnyDSC_0207.jpg
    Made a plant stand similar to your lower section, but I used a 4x4 for the post. I think it would give you more stability in the wind.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

A target stand I built lasted quite a while. Mine wasn't made from what is that schedule 40 pipe? The website for the targetmeister lacked any panache. Nothing about any of those stands impresses me. Linny's stand looks halfway decent.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

OP, nice stand!

I need to build a couple myself, as the pistol ones at the range are only at 25yds, and on the rifle side the closest range stands are at 100yds. The biggest hindrance to me is that they need to be able to be broken down into separate pieces (stand and base) as I have a car, but at the same time they have to have good weight to them as the range is wide open and can be quite windy. That is the only reason that those Target Meister stands are even slightly interesting, but the price is rather ridiculous.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Made a stand using PVC pipe. Put Quikrete in the front and back base cross members to make it more stable. It will withstand a moderate amount of wind.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Made a stand using PVC pipe. Put Quikrete in the front and back base cross members to make it more stable.
    Drilled the base of mine and nail it to the ground with tent stakes (big nails) from Walmart. No wind problems at all.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

target racks are easy to make with some basic tools. the first ones you make are ok and over time you make changes to the good on them.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I used to fabricate target stands years ago, but didn't like hauling them around because they took up too much space and were sometimes fragile. Now I just carry around some cheap cordage or string and a stapler. I stretch two strings about a foot apart between the plentiful trees on my property, and staple on a homemade 8 1/2 x 11 target. When I hang silhouette targets, the strings are farther apart. A small pocket knife makes disposal a breeze. Several targets can be hung at once if you like.

BTW, To staple to the string, I just wrap the paper around the string, and staple it to itself. Binder clips work good too and are faster.

Links