A bit frustrated...

A bit frustrated...

This is a discussion on A bit frustrated... within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've tried to use the sticky with the links to the various state's gun laws and a number of the links won't work. I've googled ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Nuke0955
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 2 Post By Brent95
  • 1 Post By Nuke0955

Thread: A bit frustrated...

Question A bit frustrated...

I've tried to use the sticky with the links to the various state's gun laws and a number of the links won't work. I've googled some of what I want but the usual gibberish has me perplexed. Here's the situation:

I live in Florida and have my Florida CWL. I'll be traveling up to Raleigh, N.C. by personal car (this trip) and then back and forth by plane beginning 2014. I'll have my personal vehicle there as well as an apartment and I won't carry while flying back and forth.
    1. When driving thru Georgia, S.C. and N.C., is it satisfactory to carry on my person or does the gun need to be unloaded and the ammo need to be locked out-of-reach?
    2. While in N.C., can I concealed carry as I do in Florida?

I'm a little skeptical of what I read since it always seems that something has changed.

Sorry for the newb questions.

Rick
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You should be all set...Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry
    Just tap FL...
    Enjoy the trip!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You are good to go in those states, but bear in mind that each has different gun laws that you must obey while there. NC only recently allowed restaurant carry where alcohol is served, don't know that SC or GA do. Hopefully someone more familiar with NC law can chime in.
    gatorbait51 and WrongRecroom like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here are some more resources: Handgunlaw.us

And: NRA-ILA | Gun Laws
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

I'm sure you will look up what you need to know.I can speak for S.C..Florida and S.C. does honor each other's permit.

This is just fyi in case you don't know.If you have your CCP,and you are asked for an I.D.,by a LEO you are required to inform if you are carrying obviously in S.C.If you are carrying but you aren't asked for an I.D.,personally i wouldn't mention a gun. No reason to give them more to worry about.

There is one law that has been the same for years now in S.C. Permit or not,you can store your gun in the console,or glovebox,as long as it has a top that will close. It does not have to be locked.The gun can be loaded or not,it does not matter.

Someone brought up alcohol. It still hasn't passed in S.C.You can't carry in any place that serves alcohol.
    deadguy and gatorbait51 like this.

Thanks, guys. Since I can't carry at work (guns are no-no's at nuke plants, even outside the Protected Area in the parking lots) and I'm not comfortable with leaving it in a hotel, I'll live the uncomfortable life for 2 weeks without a gun. I expect to have an apartment by the beginning of the year at which point I'll likely take at least one handgun back with me.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

There is an app for iphones and ipads called Right2Bear that has all pertinent info on carrying in a specific state. I tried to look for the app on my macbook pro with negative results

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by shooter8571 View Post
    There is an app for iphones and ipads called Right2Bear that has all pertinent info on carrying in a specific state. I tried to look for the app on my macbook pro with negative results

Jack
    Here's your link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/righ...327012536?mt=8
    It's Range Time!

The one web site that I've found to be the most current and correct with info regarding carry laws is handgunlaw.us.

One of the owners is a member here and their site is the only one I recommend to my classes since it it so well maintained. They almost always have direct links to the state web sites so you can verify yourself and not just go on their word. This is a big plus to me.

One suggestion, as to keeping a gun at a hotel. Many hotels have a safe in the office and they will secure an item there for you if you ask. Just carry a locking case and when you have to gun down and leave the hotel let them lock it up for you and claim it when you return.

As others have already said, you have to follow the laws of the state you are in when you carry so take the time to familiarize yourself with the laws of the states you'll be traveling and staying in.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Handgunlaw.us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

VIP Member
    A bit frustrated.....

Me to. It has been a few months since I have been with a woman and......oops wrong website. Sorry bout that.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

GA & FL have reciprocity, so you should have no problems in GA. If you need exact info on any GA weapons laws, please see either Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org, or Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news. Both sites have "plain English" versions of Georgia Weapons Laws, as well as links to the actual statutes.

I have found Gary's site (Handgunlaw.us) to be very accurate as far as any GA information I have looked up.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

TRX
    NC will honor your FL CHCL.

Details may be different. You can find NC's laws online, or the first search hit I got showed NC classes for $75. Even though they can't issue you an NC permit since you're not an NC resident, if you're not comfortable carrying for an extended period in NC, an NC class might give you some peace of mind.

Links