Decided to let the Gunsmith do it

This is a discussion on Decided to let the Gunsmith do it within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Purchased a new CZ-75 BD Police early this month have run about 500rds of FMJ and about 40 JHP all without a hic-up. This gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Decided to let the Gunsmith do it

Purchased a new CZ-75 BD Police early this month have run about 500rds of FMJ and about 40 JHP all without a hic-up. This gun is incredibly accurate...But early on I wasn't getting the quick acquisition sight picture I wanted. Found what I wanted at Cajun Gun Works E-Z drift rear sight with a fiber optic front sight, thought I'd be able to install the sights myself. But I don't have the tools needed to properly install the pinned front sight, my LGS where I bought the gun now has the gun and the sights, and will have installed later this week. Maybe its my old and tired eyes but the factory sights were just too small. Having my LGS gunsmith do the install means I wont have a Aw Jeez!! The only other mod will be changing the grips...That I can do.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeal View Post
    Purchased a new CZ-75 BD Police early this month have run about 500rds of FMJ and about 40 JHP all without a hic-up. This gun is incredibly accurate...But early on I wasn't getting the quick acquisition sight picture I wanted. Found what I wanted at Cajun Gun Works E-Z drift rear sight with a fiber optic front sight, thought I'd be able to install the sights myself. But I don't have the tools needed to properly install the pinned front sight, my LGS where I bought the gun now has the gun and the sights, and will have installed later this week. Maybe its my old and tired eyes but the factory sights were just too small. Having my LGS gunsmith do the install means I wont have a Aw Jeez!! The only other mod will be changing the grips...That I can do.

Want to have it done right....
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Knowing its done right the first time....Priceless!
    msgt/ret and farsidefan1 like this.

Distinguished Member
    I so totally agree with this post!

I wish I was a DIY guy but I'm not one. I focus on keeping others gainfully employed. I let them screw things up. To me the most feared words in the English language are "Some assembly required". for years I wondered why I struggled putting things together. After an aptitude test I finally found out. Apparently I didn't "crawl right" as a child so certain synapses never connected. The guy said it was probably due to being an early walker (mom bragged about how I walked at 9 months, not knowing it ruined me for life lol).

Besides, if I were handy tons of folks would suffer a dramatic loss of income.
    ccw9mm and tdave like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

VIP Member
    If it were something I am unsure of I would rather pay to have it done correctly than to pay even more to correct my mistakes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nice to see there are others here who think like me!
    farsidefan1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Wise choice.

You said, " But I don't have the tools needed to properly install the pinned front sight, my LGS where I bought the gun now has the gun and the sights, and will have installed later this week."

How true. Having the right tools for Any job is important. Having the right tools for pulling and aligning sights is essential. Guns require special sight tools that are not always universal. For the cost of the needed tool(s) you may use only once, you may have actually saved money by having a gunsmith do the work.
    Pukindog12, BamaT and HotGuns like this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Administrator
    Support your local gunsmith. They need to eat and pay the mortgage also. Many are quite talented.
    SIGP250 and BamaT like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Before Google, the only thing in my tool box was the phone book.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

I don't want to hand this gun down with finish issues. Its money well spent Those sights are vital when it comes time to use the gun, I don't want them slipping because I thought I could do the job. I know the gunsmith and his work speaks for itself. Done right the first time!

That one of the things I do to every pistol I have is replace the sights. I really like the Warren Tactical night sight on my full sized guns but for compact and pocket I go with XS Big Dot sights. I have enough in sights to have bought another pistol. But I'm in the same boat me and my eyes are showing our age.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    I so totally agree with this post!

I wish I was a DIY guy but I'm not one. I focus on keeping others gainfully employed. I let them screw things up. To me the most feared words in the English language are "Some assembly required". for years I wondered why I struggled putting things together. After an aptitude test I finally found out. Apparently I didn't "crawl right" as a child so certain synapses never connected. The guy said it was probably due to being an early walker (mom bragged about how I walked at 9 months, not knowing it ruined me for life lol).
    Yeah, that's it. You walked before you crawled. Ran before you walked. Good lesson in there ... sort of. A man's gotta know his limitations.

OP, you're gonna love the improved sights. And a BD model, too. Mmmmm, good. Always nice to see another happy camper, with the CZ's. Enjoy.
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah that CZ-75 BD is like shooting a rifle at times, the accuracy is legendary.

VIP Member
    OK, I'll buck the majority answer. You should have done it yourself, then when you screwed up the slide CZ could have sold you a replacement slide. That way you support the maker as well as the gunsmith when you have him do the second slide!!

J/K When in doubt, or the right equipment isn't available, let the person who has the tools and knows what he's doing, do the job.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I agree with Archer51 on this, years ago I thought I was able to clean my fathers 30-30 deer rifle...What a mess of parts everywhere I was in a panic as deer season was just a few weeks away, thankfully at the time our neighbor was a gunsmith he had the gun back together in less than a day and saved my hide! It was one of the best 15.00 bills I ever paid, years later I told my father. Point is if your not sure you can do it...Don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links