So you want CLEAN brass?

So you want CLEAN brass?

This is a discussion on So you want CLEAN brass? within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I was messing with a few different solutions for cleaning brass. After some trial and error I ended up with this! Before: After: I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: So you want CLEAN brass?

So you want CLEAN brass?

Today I was messing with a few different solutions for cleaning brass. After some trial and error I ended up with this!

Before:

After:

I am using a rock tumbler from harbor freight, 50/50 water and vinegar, a quick squirt of lemon juice, and about a cup of steel BB's

So pretty!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Distinguished Member
    Perfect timing! Just came across my box of brass candlesticks and such. How important are the BB's, got everything in the house except that? Could I use something like a steel spatula and stir it with that?
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I think the BBs helped a lot with the polishing. You might try to soak your stuff for a few hours in the water/vinegar/lemon juice and see how that works.
    Sister likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Looks nice but I prefer less fussing, having to dry and such. I know others that do similar things with dish soap and such. But a tumbler, some ground walnut and I walk away only to return some time later and it is done. To each his own I suppose.
    msgt/ret, Bassleg, OldVet and 4 others like this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad0724 View Post
    I think the BBs helped a lot with the polishing. You might try to soak your stuff for a few hours in the water/vinegar/lemon juice and see how that works.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Looks nice but I prefer less fussing, having to dry and such. I know others that do similar things with dish soap and such. But a tumbler, some ground walnut and I walk away only to return some time later and it is done. To each his own I suppose.
    I debated dry and wet tumbling and decided to go with wet just because the media cost's less. I am very happy with the results. I put the brass in the oven on 150 for about 15 minutes and they were dry.

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Exactly. I do add some polishing media to the walnut media here and there, and it has cut down on the time the tumbler has to run. I've tried liquid solutions with a sonic cleaner and such, and it's just too much fuss, and really no better return.
    msgt/ret and The Old Anglo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad0724 View Post
    I debated dry and wet tumbling and decided to go with wet just because the media cost's less. I am very happy with the results. I put the brass in the oven on 150 for about 15 minutes and they were dry.
    You can buy a huge bag of crushed walnut media from the reptile area of your local pet store for like 15 bucks. You can leave the media in the tumbler for many, many, many uses before you need to change it out, and when you do, you'll have most of your bag still left. Your results were good. Hate to come off like I'm raining on your parade. Just letting you know there's another way that's less fuss, and works plenty well imho
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    Ground corn cob from the pet store and a teaspoon of jewelers has worked quite well for many years for me.
    airslot likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Lead Moderator
    For shiny brass I just use water a squirt of dish soap and lemshine . Let it soak for a few hours , stir occasionally. Finally dry and tumble with walnut.
    Chad0724 and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member
    I've just used corn or walnut media, some polish and leave it in the tumbler while I go to work (prob 6-8 hours) and it all comes out looking brand new for me.

No interest in wet/drying combo.

Also, won't steel BB's wear your brass down faster?
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I've just used corn or walnut media, some polish and leave it in the tumbler while I go to work (prob 6-8 hours) and it all comes out looking brand new for me.

No interest in wet/drying combo.

Also, won't steel BB's wear your brass down faster?
    I imagine it's the same as using steel pins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this clean them inside and out?

I am with the walnut an my lyman magnum turbo can do a thousand .45 at one time just let them go 6 to 8 hrs like new. Have a miners separator fits on a 5 gallon bucket just dump it in all done.

They do look nice.
    I'm a pet media guy. Less fuss and I can buy it wholesale. Plus when I am reloading rifle I've got the lube from resizing that I like to tumble/dry off. I lube, size, tumble, trim, reload.
    I like that you played around and found a combination of things that do an obvious good job.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links