How Long Between Cleaning?

This is a discussion on How Long Between Cleaning? within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live v in hot steamy Gulf Coast Texas. If day it's about a month since I cleaned and lubed my unfired Ruger (FrogLube). Is ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Easy8
  • 3 Post By Jaeger
  • 4 Post By Old_Dog

Thread: How Long Between Cleaning?

I live v in hot steamy Gulf Coast Texas. If day it's about a month since I cleaned and lubed my unfired Ruger (FrogLube).

Is there a regular interval I should be using? I am also just using the Frog Lube as both cleaner and lubricant. Should I get a decent solvent to clean with first?

I'll get the hang of this!
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I live in S. FL and I have firearms stored in hard cases for over 20 years inside the house with no more than a wipedown with Outers gun oil--and not a speck of rust. Guns I carry get cleaned as needed, and there are no specifics to that (after hard use or firing). I use various products as sort of an unscientific test (FL, FireClean, Gun oils) and they all seem to work fine.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I clean a weapon and place it in the gun safe and find they are good for a decade. My EDC gets cleaned each time I take it to the range. Which is about every -6-8 weels. If for some reason, I did not get to the range within a couple months, i'd take the time and clean my EDC.

I enjoy cleaning as much as shooting so I wipe my carry rotation down once a week use frog lube also. I like mpro7 to clean than frog lube clp for lube and final wipe down. The frog lube solvent for me is a little weak have to use to much of it the mpro7 sticks instead of running off makes initial cleaning after range time easier. But like the froglube clp
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Did you apply the FL hot (using a hair dryer or a heat gun)? I've been playing it for a long time now and I'm convinced that following the directions/instructions has a massive impact on its effectiveness. You will not get that Teflon like barrier if you do not apply it very hot. I don't think it's a matter of the metal, but rather a matter of getting the compound to that completely watery state.

It's not like oil that will penetrate every imperfection of the metal and stay there. It only mimics that characteristic of oil when it's hot and fully liquid. Then it cools, becomes viscos again, sticks like glue, and adheres far longer than any oil.

If you applied it to a "just too hot to touch" firearm it should stay on/in the metal for a very long time (months or even years). It was specifically designed to protect metal against salty environments, and it should preform just as well in coastal areas.

What I don't do is wipe off the excess. I like my firearms spitting hot Frog Lube in my face for the first few magazines I run through them. I like to lick the Frog Lube mixed with burnt powder off my lips (hey, it's food grade!).

If you're worried about the exterior of your firearm you can wax it with either a paste floor wax (like Minwax) or Renaissance Wax (better) just like you would wax a car, and the wax will create a lasting barrier. That said, if you're holstering it frequently you will rub that wax off. My $.02. I wax a lot of firearms that I use and that I don't use. The Smithsonian Ren Waxes their entire firearms collection. It makes 'em real shiny too!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I enjoy cleaning as much as shooting so I wipe my carry rotation down once a week use frog lube also. I like mpro7 to clean than frog lube clp for lube and final wipe down. The frog lube solvent for me is a little weak have to use to much of it the mpro7 sticks instead of running off makes initial cleaning after range time easier. But like the froglube clp
    I thought I was the only one who found cleaning their guns to be relaxing. It can take me 2 hours to clean two guns. I will clean a gun even if I fired one shot. I have dental picks so that I can get into every crevice. I first remove all oil until the gun is dry and then start from there.
    Pete63, Easy8, Jaeger and 1 others like this.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Firearms that are locked up............once every couple months. Firearms that I shoot, as soon as I get home. Firearms that I carry, once a week.

I don't think there are any right or wrong answers, just personal preferences. It also depends on how the firearm is carried, exposed to weather and sweat, whether you find cleaning a chore or a pleasure, how proficient you are at disassembly and reassembly as you run a risk of messing the firearm up every time you take it down, how frequently it is fired and for how many rounds, and clean/dirty ammo.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member
    It sounds as if you are not using the frog lube solvent. You should be using the frog lube or some other solvent for cleaning THEN switch to the frog lube CLP. Since frog lube and petroleum products don't mix I use the frog lube solvent along with their clp. I'm not overly knowledgeable about the interactions though so I will follow the thread with interest. I just know that frog lube comments about how frog lube and petroleum based products don't play well together.

As to the length of time between cleaning. Rounds fired is much more important that time. Unless we are talking years. I used to clean my long guns at the start of the season. Hand guns every month or so if I was shooting them regularly. Now with glocks I have taken courses where I fired 500 rounds over 4 days and not cleaned them till after the class. I'm getting more anal in my dotage and actually enjoy the process so now I clean them after every shoot. And I just joined a range near my house so I will be shooting a couple times a week.

Poor guys don't know how much I shoot. I paid $360 for unlimited range use for the year. I live 5 minutes away. They also have a simulator for $30 bucks a half hour but it is only a single screen, not the 360 degree scenario that killed me a couple of times in Oregon a few months back (darn accomplices).
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Used the cheap hairdryer for Ruger. But I see the point in getting the Froglube cleaner. My first treatment I cleaned firearm using household alcohol. Then more or less seasoned the firearm. (Kind of like using a car iron skillet for first time)
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    That's actually an apt compairison. It is almost like seasoning cast iron, and it almost has the same effect. Carbon just wipes off. I've had several AR cleaning kits that beat the hell out of the mil spec (1 each) ones, and I find I'm using all the little crany tools much less. I'm using more Q-tips, because the carbon doesn't stick...which is nice...

I shot about 200 rounds out of my Sparrow can right when I bought it, and it was fully miserable to clean. I had to scrape for an hour to get all the carbon and burnt powder out of it (any firearm that full of gunk would have been locked up long before). After treating it with the FL all the subsequent cleanings have taken about 10 min. There are still a lot of baffle surfaces that need to be wiped.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I thought I was the only one who found cleaning their guns to be relaxing. It can take me 2 hours to clean two guns. I will clean a gun even if I fired one shot. I have dental picks so that I can get into every crevice. I first remove all oil until the gun is dry and then start from there.
    your a sick man ( ok I do the same thing )
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Links