Making your own gun lube.

This is a discussion on Making your own gun lube. within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently started hearing about people making their own gun lube using motor oil and other products. I'm sure this has been going on for ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Making your own gun lube.

I recently started hearing about people making their own gun lube using motor oil and other products. I'm sure this has been going on for quite sometime and I can't believe I'm just now finding this out for myself. Anyway, how many on here make the own gun lube? How good does it work and how well does it stand up to store bought lubes? Last thing, how do I make it?
    Glock 26 gen 4
    Glock 19 gen 3
    Kahr CW380 (sold)
    Kahr CM9

i use motor oil and bearing grease. just as good as the gun stuff. but i like hoppe's #9 for cleaning. i have made up some "ed's red" for cleaning instead of #9. but it is cheaper to buy hoppe's.
    molleur likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I don't use oil for pistol lube anymore.

I have been using high temp grease for six years now.

It protects against wear better and is by far more economical.

I have a bottle of synthetic motor oil waiting for when I run out of Hoppe's. My only concern about using grease is the tendency for it to attract dirt.
    Plan Z: Hope for the best.

The few drops of Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil left in the bottom of a qt bottle will be enough to lube most of my guns! After a 6 qt oil change I have enough left for a year! Mobil 1 is good down to -50 degrees and up to 500 degrees! DR

Yeah for gun cleaning solvents, I like to you good ole Hoppe no.9. So using just motor oil is fine? Or should I mix with some kind of cooking oil also? Is a downside to using motor oil to lube your gun, is that it could be harmful to be touched for prolonged periods? Like a carry gun.
    Glock 26 gen 4
    Glock 19 gen 3
    Kahr CW380 (sold)
    Kahr CM9

Distinguished Member Array 1911srule's Avatar
    Red high temp wheel bearing grease works well.
    CIBMike likes this.
    GO TRUMP ! HILLARY-PRISON NOT PROMOTION

Grease is a dirt magnet.

Mobil 1. Been using it for years. If it will work in race cars, it will work in my guns.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Does Ed's Red count? Been making it for years, although I do leave out the acetone.

John W in SC
    hogdaddy likes this.

I've been using a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 and Marvel Mystery oil. It's very easy to clean guns that have been lubed w/ the 50/50 mix!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Mobil 1. Been using it for years. If it will work in race cars, it will work in my guns.
    I'm having flashbacks to the oil war threads back on the motorcycle forums. LOL

I have a quart of Amsoil Full Synth from those MC days. I apply with a Q-tip, so it will likely last until the Apocolypse.

Making your own gun lube.-image.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I'm having flashbacks to the oil war threads back on the motorcycle forums. LOL

I have a quart of Amsoil Full Synth from those MC days. I apply with a Q-tip, so it will likely last until the Apocolypse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	119690
    I tried them all. Living in Florida, the high heat tends to burn off most gun oils (Remoil is worthless). I finally have stuck with two that DO NOT burn off in the Florida summers. Shooters Choice Firepower 10 and Mobil 1 Motor Oil. A quart of Mobil 1 from Walmart costs about $6 and will last for years.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GA_Sheepdog View Post
    Yeah for gun cleaning solvents, I like to you good ole Hoppe no.9. So using just motor oil is fine? Or should I mix with some kind of cooking oil also? Is a downside to using motor oil to lube your gun, is that it could be harmful to be touched for prolonged periods? Like a carry gun.
    Cooking, oil from pig fat is what I have started to use.
    10thmtn and Bad Bob like this.

I had Alaskan Fake Bush People on earlier in the week and they poured the grease from fried chicken into their bolt actions before they went hunting.
    Probably more theatrical TV than anything.
    Bad Bob, ugh762x39 and jwilson904 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links