The Constitution Of The United States

This is a discussion on The Constitution Of The United States within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT The only part most people have read. And that's sad, because while an unarmed man may be a subject and an ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: The Constitution Of The United States

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    The only part most people have read.

And that's sad, because while an unarmed man may be a subject and an armed man a citizen, those who do not have a good understanding of the constitution, the opperation of government and the laws (those that comply with the constitution and those questionable...) will fast be converted from citizens into slaves without their knowing.
    Agreed, and the real shame is that it is not taught in school to te extent it was in my school days.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    The only part most people have read.

And that's sad, because while an unarmed man may be a subject and an armed man a citizen, those who do not have a good understanding of the constitution, the opperation of government and the laws (those that comply with the constitution and those questionable...) will fast be converted from citizens into slaves without their knowing.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

I typically hold a lot of Ambulance Chasers in Distain, but I sure wish government, and the Institution of Law as a collective whole, had more individuals like you, with your mindset.

I think our country , would be solid for another 500 years, if it was governed like it was many years/decades ago, as we KNEW it.

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
    Will Rogers
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    This is a contract with America and not a submission to tyranny.

U.S. citizens were leery of government. This offer by government to govern was signed not by usurpers but by representatives of the people.

Consider this quote from a poster at the American Bar Association site regarding a recent 2A ruling:

There is an active debate regarding what the Founder’s intent was. You have espressed one widely accepted view.
    The other view says that the Founders intended a nation of armed yeoman farmers as a counterweight to the small professional armies of the European powers at the time. The counterargument goes further to wonder why the Founders would have expended years of effort in crafting an elaborate system of checks and balances in the Constitution, only to throw in a mechanism that effectively say, hey, if that’s not working for you, you have the right to violent armed insurrection.
    This clearly shows the faulty logic of thinking that the Constitution was an attempt to lord over citizens and giving government every right to do so.

Art. 1, Sec 8 was written in a time when citizens pretty much had to be property-owners over twenty-one years old to vote. In other words, productive citizens. The problem with government today is when recipients of welfare have the right to vote themselves entitlements, then they do so.

We need to verify net contribution to qualify to vote. Net recipients should not have the right to incorporate into law the taking of what does not belong to them. That provides for the welfare of those who propogate welfare and squelches the politicians that are killing this country courting the vote of the non-producers.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

When I was in HS in the late 50's, we not only studied the Constitution, we had to memorize and recite the preamble to it. We also had to memorize and recite the Declaration Of Independence, and the Gettysburg Address. Back then, they took "civics" seriously. Of course back then, a number of my classmates grandparents and parents had come to this country from europe after WWII. They came here legally, studied to learn english and to learn about our government and history, and to become US citizens. The wanted to become "Americans", unlike today's immigrants who come here illegally and want to maintain their own language and culture, and expect their language to be taught in school and signs in stores and on products to be in their native language!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

There is an active debate regarding what the Founder’s intent was. You have espressed one widely accepted view.
    The other view says that the Founders intended a nation of armed yeoman farmers as a counterweight to the small professional armies of the European powers at the time. The counterargument goes further to wonder why the Founders would have expended years of effort in crafting an elaborate system of checks and balances in the Constitution, only to throw in a mechanism that effectively say, hey, if that’s not working for you, you have the right to violent armed insurrection.
    From the Declaration of Independence:

...that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,...
    violent insurrection was exactly how they handled it in 1776, I'm pretty sure they felt justified and would feel the same of a People in similar circumstances and would provide the legal justification for also doing so.

That being said,...
    (also from th Declaration of Independence):

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Government long established should not be changed for light and transient Causes; and accordingly all Experience hath shewn, that Mankind are more disposed to suffer. while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselve by abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed. ...
    ...it is their Right, it is their Duty. to throw off such Government, and to provide new...
    I wish our lawmakers would try to get an understanding of basic American history and the circumstances surrounding the formation of our Constitution and our Independence.

I have never understood how the 2nd Amendment can be construed as anything but an understanding of the right of the People to protect themselves from tyranny.
    Aphdmansoc and pittypat21 like this.

One more Obama Supreme Court nominee and it's all over.

This is all wonderful and good and all...but unfortunately, there are more of us (I use the term "US" lightly) with their hands out than those of us that will adhere to it unconditionally. I am not a "dooms-dayer" but if you lead hogs to the trough enough times, they will quit foraging for themselves and they eventually like it. This is what we have today and this is what "you-know-who" is counting on. A dismal reality but a reality none-the-less.
    Last edited by T_from_Fla; April 21st, 2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Crown Royal 'got in the way' last night on a couple words.
    "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." ~ Clint Eastwood

"I hope this changes."

I am sure all of you have heard the phrase "If you can not afford an attorney one will be provided for you". Presently you have to be destitute to get one appointed. The following is the 6th amendment....
    Amendment VI.
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defence.

So what does "to have the assistance of counsel" really mean? Doesn't the wording seem to mean free of charge? Just wondering is all. What do you think??
    QKShooter and shooterX like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    & AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
    Thank you! People need to read this even more these days.
    Something else folks may need to review is the Declaration of Independence. Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, ~~ snip
    QKShooter and Aphdmansoc like this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

I think our country , would be solid for another 500 years, if it was governed like it was many years/decades ago, as we KNEW it.
    Don't forget...that includes the MUCH higher tax rates that were in effect decades ago.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Hillsdale College is offering a free series of lectures on the Constitution. Very interesting lectures and the price is right.

Constitution 101 Schedule | Hillsdale's Imprimis Offer
    QKShooter, dV8r and Pistology like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

your point?

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Hillsdale College is offering a free series of lectures on the Constitution. Very interesting lectures and the price is right.

Hillsdale Colleges's "Constitution 101" Online Course
    This is HIGHLY recommended.
    If you think you know the Constitution and what/who is its foundation, I challenge you to take this course from Hillsdale and test yourself. It will cost you nothing but a little time. I double-dare you. :)

Hillsdale Colleges's "Constitution 101" Online Course
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    When I was in school we also studied all of our founding documents.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I never tire of seeing it. So much so I carry a copy in my purse.
    QKShooter likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links