The Constitution Of The United States - Page 3

The Constitution Of The United States

This is a discussion on The Constitution Of The United States within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which Supreme Court Justice was it that said she would not look to this document if drafting a constitution today? I couldn't believe it when ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: The Constitution Of The United States

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Which Supreme Court Justice was it that said she would not look to this document if drafting a constitution today? I couldn't believe it when I read that quote. This is such a beautiful document that has stood for so long. It really is inspiring.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Which Supreme Court Justice was it that said she would not look to this document if drafting a constitution today? I couldn't believe it when I read that quote. This is such a beautiful document that has stood for so long. It really is inspiring.
    Answer Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    Answer Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    Wasn’t she the one who also said international law should be used to decide cases?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Wasn’t she the one who also said international law should be used to decide cases?
    I do not know, so I can't say that you are mistaken, and likewise can't say you aren't 100% correct either.. I will say that what I have seen that she has said.. It would not surprise me.

EDIT: I did find this, but do not know if this is what you were talking about.
    Occasionally we have to interpret an international treaty - one, perhaps, affecting airlines and liability for injury to passengers or damage to goods. Then, of course, we have to look to the precedents of other member nations in resolving issues.
    Sandra Day O'Connor
    Last edited by LkWd_Don; April 26th, 2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: see text
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

In my opinion the Constitution became close to useless when the very people it was meant to keep in check decided that with a simple majority vote the whole meaning of the document could be changed. The people wrote the document to restrict and control the government. The government decided that just five of their members could change the whole meaning of it.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    In my opinion the Constitution became close to useless when the very people it was meant to keep in check decided that with a simple majority vote the whole meaning of the document could be changed. The people wrote the document to restrict and control the government. The government decided that just five of their members could change the whole meaning of it.

Michael
    I disagree with your conclusion as the Constitution itself nearly did not get Ratified as the People decided it was only discussing what Powers the Government was being given and did not include any Protections for the Several Sovereign States and the People themselves.. Thus the Bill of Rights was born and was the catalyst for the ratification process.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I really just put this here so that folks would not need to search the Internet for it but, you all are more than welcome to add your comments.
    Personally I think it's a pretty incredible thing.
    It's a shame that so many Americans don't even know what it is or that it even exists.
    Exactly...but seems they know when it comes to carry. Something that interests them at the moment. This is the way it's always been yet less common sense now. Who done it? Us or them? The constitution is not upheld by the government nor is it demanded by the people now. We can talk about it all we want to.....that aint changing a thing.
    LkWd_Don and shooterX like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Exactly...but seems they know when it comes to carry. Something that interests them at the moment. This is the way it's always been yet less common sense now. Who done it? Us or them? The constitution is not upheld by the government nor is it demanded by the people now. We can talk about it all we want to.....that aint changing a thing.
    For the most part the people share the same dislike for the Constitution as the Government does. The Government does not like or agree with it because it restricts their ability to do what they want.
    The people do not like the Constitution because it restricts the Governments ability to give them stuff. It also hampers their desire to control what their neighbors do.

Michael
    Pistology and shooterX like this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Now..Just leave it ALONE and follow it. AND let NO One try to change Anything in it. Period!.
    84160 likes this.

Since no one has mentioned it, I would like to take the liberty of introducing Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States: with a preliminary ... - Joseph Story - Google Books to the community. I believe you will find it supports a common sense understanding of the Constitution that prevailed during the 19th century and may resonate with you today. For example on page 663 one reads:

"The Constitution was, from its very origin, contemplated to be the frame of a national government, of special and enumerated powers, not of general and unlimited powers. If the clause , "to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States", is construed to be an independent and substantive grant of power, it not only renders wholly unimportant and unnecessary the subsequent enumeration of specific powers, but it plainly extends far beyond them and creates a general authority in Congress to pass all laws which they may deem... Under such circumstances the Constitution would practically create an unlimited national government."

Out of all the threads out there, I sure don't see why this one wouldn't qualify as a "Sticky."

1 Vote
    QKShooter likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Michael,
    It was not the responsibility of a document to keep the government in check and it was not the responsibility of the government to keep itself in check. It was your responsibility. It was my responsibility. And so far we have failed miserably. We were charged with being the guardians of freedom and liberty. But our comfy lifestyle has become too important for us to follow the mandate in the Deceleration of independence.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness".

Take our Gun rights for instance. Every day I see something new that makes me sad for my country. What has happened, how could we as Americans have let our own government forget what the statement "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" means? We better stand up and start demanding the return of our birthright and stop asking the permission of our servants for something that was settled so many years ago. Our servants have become our masters while we were busy watching TV, eating microwave dinners and checking our friends Facebook status and now we allow them to require us to obtain a permit (permission) and pay a fee for a right that was granted and paid for with the blood of over 50,000 starving and poorly equipped Americans fighting for a nation of their own 236 years ago. Shame on us.

If anyone in this country is looking for someone to blame the problems of an out of control federal government on, they have to look no further than the closest mirror. Believe me I check mine daily. Thomas Jefferson said "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
    mlr1m and Tzadik like this.

Buy one ONLY $4.99

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

or better yet give them away as presents.
    QKShooter likes this.

A beautiful well written document produced by a nation with less than 1% of the population of today's society. Does anyone think that we would get a document of comparable elegance by our political elite? I think not. This is one indication of the dumbing down of our America.

The failure of our educational and mass media institutions to educate and inform our people of a comparative understanding of history of why The United States is different from other nations leads to a mind numbing acceptance that we are simply one among many nations without any special significance or role to play. Hard to appreciate your society if you don't know anything about its roots.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member
    Hey Boss thanks for the post. Back when the earth was cooling we learned the preamble and studied the Federalist papers. I hear that is not done today. It amuses me that we overlook the other parts of the constitution that were very clear but went against what we wanted. We look at all men are created equal. Had to ratirfy to give women the vote. The list goes on and on. We have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a court to listen to what people knew 250 years ago was the right course for the US.

I am hoping the same result will happen with the end of unfair discrimination laws in front of the court this year. It would be great if the court heard the second and upheld the meaning as we understand it and sent all these draconian laws back to the shredder.

The problem I have is how slow the process works but when I review history it is right more often than wrong. They missed the one on alcohol but fixed it over time. My grandchildren will see the day that no funds can be spent that are not funded. There will be a radical change in the next 50 years that upholds you must work for your bread in my opinion if the state pays for the bread they will require a labor to receive that bread.

Thanks again Boss I needed to reflect.

Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links