Nomenclature

This is a discussion on Nomenclature within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; That's "barrette" - just couldn't resist . I roll my eyes at this as well - "Also, is it a weapon, firearm, gun or piece?" ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Nomenclature

That's "barrette" - just couldn't resist .

I roll my eyes at this as well - "Also, is it a weapon, firearm, gun or piece?"
    It's a handgun, it's a gat. If it's a car handgun, then it's a hoopdi-gat

The range I'm at has a "no calling a firearm a weapon" policy even tho' 40-50% of the shooters are shooting handguns with the intention of practicing for SD. About 25% of our shooters also have AR/AK's/etc. The difference is supposed to be a weapon is for shooting people, but they also would like to maintain that milsurp type rifles have "no sporting purpose". PC is for idiots. I finally got them to mostly stop (or give up) the "sporting purpose" nonsense.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    That's "barrette" - just couldn't resist .
    difference being spelling not Nomenclature
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I want to see some humor in an action flick like the guy behind cover asks the girl for a "clip" she hands him a barrette
    Or, the girl behind cover asking the guy for a "magizine" and he hands her a the latest edition of "Guns and Ammo".
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I'm from Oregon.. pronunciation of that aside, I spent some time in NC a few summers back. On a quick run to Walmart, the checker in a deep southern accent asked if I'd "pull my buggy up". It took two or three repeats and some fast wheels spinning before I realized she was referring to my shopping cart.

I'm on the fence on this one. Coming from a technical background I understand the importance of being specific about what you talk about. However, English is such a ... fluid .. language that I think a bit of forgiveness is useful on common things.

Context is important and applies constraints on what level of precision is required.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaphah View Post
    I spent some time in NC a few summers back. On a quick run to Walmart, the checker in a deep southern accent asked if I'd "pull my buggy up"
    Yep that's what we southerners call a Shopping Cart

On the online forums I just let that stuff slide. In face to face conversation with "gun folks" I like to use the correct terminology In hopes they may think I know what the hell I'm talking about. YMMV
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Clip or magazine. If it's empty what good is it doing ya?

We call it a buggy as well.

If at the range and I am with someone and we are shooting AKs. If my buddy ask for a clip I will hand him a recharging clip, if he wants a new Magazine he will have to ask for it.

When I taught, we always used the proper nomenclature, along with definitions ie; a Clip holds ammunition and a magazine feeds ammunition, that was 25 years ago now I don't know what they teach in HALO but it might be different now, could someone elaborate.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

OK, I think we are done with that one...

Someone said clips store ammo, magazines feed ammo. Then maybe it should be called a clip when it's in the safe or your holster. Once you insert it into the weapon (not gun, because a gun is artillery) it becomes a magazine.

Now on to the other ones;

I agree, when did revolvers stop being pistols? If revolvers are not pistols, then that means my CPL (Michigan Concealed Pistol License) does not allow me to carry my snub nose 38.

While on that subject, can we stop having page after page of arguments over whether it's a CPL, CCW, CPC, PCC. etc. They are all pieces of paper that allow you to hide a gun on your person!

Then there is the argument about the term CCW referring to a crime of carrying a concealed weapon. I'm sure there must be at least one state that actually calls it s CCW license.

If it gets the idea across, the person reading it understands what the poster meant, then why not just let it slide. No reason to label someone a newbie, or ignorant just because they used a perfectly acceptable (to most reasonable people) term instead of the "Correct" term.

This post and any and all spelling errors where intentionally meant to stir up more discussion and make us all look like arrogant internet jerks.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    a box magazine feeds ammunition to a firearm. It typically consists of a spring, follower, metal box and a foot plate
    a stripper clip is used to load a box magazine quickly. It typically consists of a bent or stamped piece of metal to hold the rims of the ammunition cases.

in most cases a box magazine is shortened to just magazine and stripper clip is shortened to clip. IMO the 2 terms are not interchangeable.

While I don't actively correct people that call a magazine a clip I will call it a magazine. Whether or not they pick up on it is up to them.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

GM
    I use the term clip for magazine all the time.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

A clip feeds a magazine, a magazine feeds a chamber.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

All things considered, I am more concerned about ignorance of a firearm's functions than about adherence to 'current', 'PC' nomenclature. For example, I know many WWII and Korean Vets who refer to the sidearms they carried as "45 Automatics". Coming from them, I do not mind, because they surely understand the difference between a semi-automatic and a full auto. Coming from a novice or a reporter who does not understand the difference between semi-auto and full-auto, I would be much more concerned.

So, if you talk to a grizzled old guy who refers to the thingy that fed ammunition into his Thompson as a 'clip' instead of a 'magazine', cut him a little slack

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    All things considered, I am more concerned about ignorance of a firearm's functions than about adherence to 'current', 'PC' nomenclature.
    Calling an item by it's correct name is neither "current" nor "politically correct", it's just correct.

For example, I know many WWII and Korean Vets who refer to the sidearms they carried as "45 Automatics". Coming from them, I do not mind, because they surely understand the difference between a semi-automatic and a full auto. Coming from a novice or a reporter who does not understand the difference between semi-auto and full-auto, I would be much more concerned.
    Because he/they were taught that way by the military, "Automatic Pistol CAL. 45, M1911 and M1911A1."
    In Patent 984519, both John Browning and the US Patent Office refer to it as Automatic/Automatic Weapon/Automatic Weapons.

So, if you talk to a grizzled old guy who refers to the thingy that fed ammunition into his Thompson as a 'clip' instead of a 'magazine', cut him a little slack
    I really doubt you'd find a old grizzled USGI who would refer to a magazine for his weapon as a "clip" (unless his weapon was an M1 Garand or an '03 that accepted stripper clips), not the way nomenclature was taught in boot.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Methinks some of you have too much time on your hands if you're getting all worked up about clips and magazines. Really!
    Ageed!

I like it, clip...clip... clip... Hmm, may just start using that.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links