Nomenclature

Nomenclature

This is a discussion on Nomenclature within the Reference & "How To" Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Aside from the 4 safety rules of gun handling, one of the first things a person learns, or should learn concerning firearms is the common ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Nomenclature

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar

Nomenclature

Aside from the 4 safety rules of gun handling, one of the first things a person learns, or should learn concerning firearms is the common nomenclature. I have yet to find an instructor that uses improper words to describe specific parts on a firearm.

There's a reason for this: All parts have a specific name! A clip is different from a magazine and the terms are by no means interchangeable.

Even though that is true, there are still myriads of shooters using incorrect terminology when referring to specific parts of the weapon. And truly, when I see someone make a post referring to a "clip" instead of a magazine, it serves as a mental note to me that the person is either [a] ignorant of the part name [b] really thinks that a magazine is a clip, or [c] doesn't give a rat's hind end either way.

Most unfortunate is that some organizations that should know better interchange the two.

The common defense for using the term clip instead of magazine is, "well everyone knows what was meant". Really? If you need a set of tires, go to the tire store and tell the guy behind the counter that you need four new wheels and that you'll be back later to pick the vehicle up. He knew what you meant, right?

Is this a pet peave of mine? You bet. When I see someone incorrectly use the term it makes me think that they fall into one of the ABC categories above, and it instantly marks them in my mind as a newb ... no matter how long they claim to be a shooter. And really, if they have been shooting for a long period of time and still call a mag a clip, it only solidifies in my mind that they have had no professional training and I will interact with them accordingly or not at all.

Learn and use the proper nomenclature!

"We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Not to nit pick, but what you have labeled "Loading Clip" is what I have always known as an "En-bloc Clip", both in reference to Garands and bolt actions. Illustrating a Half Moon or Full Moon Clip would also be educational.

Distinguished Member
    I interchange those words magazine and clip. Sometimes. Yes I am new, and thank you for pointing out that it's such a sore point.

BTW, pet peave is really spelled pet peeve.

I also call "pop" soda, and call the sofa a "couch".

I would love to hear other no-nos (or is that no-no's) of firearms nomenclature. I know someone with many years of military field work who calls Hydra-Shoks "those hydraulic rounds".

My guess is you are the "newb" to many that use the term clip and magazine interchangeably. The term clip for magazine was very common even into the late 70's in the military training. The true old time shooters will always know it as a clip. I think we all agree that if they ask for a clip for their 1911 that they are asking for another bullet box.

If you use the talking down to strategy trying to get someone retrained on non critical terminology you run a good chance of turning them off to any other training too. Not a good trade.

Relax, there are many other things that could use the nit picking much more.

Using the term is neither ignorant nor "doesn't give a rat's hind end either way" it was the way they were taught either via movies or the old school instructors. I've have had instructors with years of service use the term clip.

I have no problems understanding any student of mine that uses the term clip in place of magazine. I'm just happy they have enough interest to learn how to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I interchange those words magazine and clip. Sometimes. Yes I am new, and thank you for pointing out that it's such a sore point.

BTW, pet peave is really spelled pet peeve.

I also call "pop" soda, and call the sofa a "couch".

I would love to hear other no-nos (or is that no-no's) of firearms nomenclature. I know someone with many years of military field work who calls Hydra-Shoks "those hydraulic rounds".

Does anyone else see irony at work here? Or is that c irony at work here?

Much ado about nothing. JMO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I think we all agree that if they ask for a clip for their 1911 that they are asking for another bullet box.
    Just as I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    The common defense for using the term clip instead of magazine is, "well everyone knows what was meant".
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Years ago the thingys that hold the bullets was called a clip. Sometimes it still is by me. I will try to change. The magazine use to be the big secure room that munitions were stored in. And all handguns use to be pistols. Now pistols are semi autos only. Who authorized revolvers to become non pistols without my consent.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I do understand the importance of proper nomenclature. On the other hand, language is ever changing. In common speech, I think it's OK for someone to say clip instead of magazine. I personally will never do it, but I don't let it bother me. The commonly accepted definition of a lot of words have been changing.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    A clip is always a magazine, but a magazine is not always a clip.

Magazine refers to any ammunition storage device; be that the tube of a shotgun, or the powder stores of a Spanish galleon.

The most appropriate term for a typical semiauto handgun magazine would be:"detachable box magazine"
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Being a fun-loving antagonist, I like to use clip just to elicit the "a clip goes in your hair, not in your gun" response.

Does language matter, you bet. But the point of correct language is to allow as many people as possible to understand. So, if you want to refer to the enclosed stack of cartridges/rounds/bullets as a clip, have at it.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    Also, is it a weapon, firearm, gun or piece? LOL.

Honestly, this reminds me of proper radio procedure taught in all branches of the armed forces. For example;

The proper way to state that you've concluded your last statement, and are awaiting a reply is "Over". If you don't intend to continue the transmission, the proper phrase is "Out".

However, nobody says it that way. The word 'out' is too short and easily blanked out by the keying of the mike, so everybody says "Over and out".

Every now and then, I'd have a boot try to correct me .

'Not implying that the OP is a boot nor anything less than correct. However, if I understand what someone is trying to communicate to me, then that's all I need.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Methinks some of you have too much time on your hands if you're getting all worked up about clips and magazines. Really!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OD*
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

~Chinese Proverb
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    If you are looking for someone to blame, blame Hollywood.

It really doesn't bother me all that much. After all, the name is the least important aspect of something. You could cal um "shrouded, constant feed, spring force, unidirectional, nested ammo reservoir" for all I care. That is SCFSFUNAR for short. :)

A rose by any other name smells just as sweet.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I want to see some humor in an action flick like the guy behind cover asks the girl for a "clip" she hands him a barrette
    Last edited by razor02097; February 15th, 2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links