Handgun Ammo, good idea - bad idea.

This is a discussion on Handgun Ammo, good idea - bad idea. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Few questions here as I'm more of a knife expert and am "in the process" of learning more about guns. 1. I know the science ...

Thread: Handgun Ammo, good idea - bad idea.

Ox [OP]

Few questions here as I'm more of a knife expert and am "in the process" of learning more about guns.

1. I know the science of compression and the only thing that "wears" a spring is compressing/releasing tension and not keeping it compressed....but for a LONG period of time - is it really o.k. to keep your magazine loaded 24/7 for years?
    Lord knows the last thing I need is to have to use my gun and it fails to feed because of a magazine spring.

2. While carrying my handgun around (the house since I'm in Illinois), I keep 2 extra mags in the magazine holder that springfield armory provides with its xd's.
    Is that safe with hollow points? I know it isn't a good thing if dust or any other particles get in and clog up the hollowed out part of the rounds, does the mag holder keep the rounds pretty safe from that?

Also, the Springfield Xd handguns have the little opening in the back of the gun, is it bad if dust gets in there? and if so, how do you prevent dust from getting in there if your carrying the gun in a holster since that part faces up?

Thanks in advance
    NRA Member

Springs not a problem.

Dust, dirt, pocket fluff? Clean when noticed or every couple of months if you don't shoot in between.

Hollow points filling up? compressed air when you see dust bunnies taking residence.

I'm with NCBullseye.
    Most everyone will check/clean their equipment often enough to keep dust and such from being a problem at all.
    Mag springs - IF you're worried about it, buy a new one every two years and throw the other one in the range bag.
    Good luck!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

I wouldn't worry about the springs, just check the mag every so often and clean as neccesary. The only thing that could be an issue over very long term storage, especially in less than ideal conditions, would be if there were some corrosion. Otherwise load them and keep them that way as long as you need.

Ox [OP]
    When you guys say check the mag, just take it out and brush it all off and see if everything looks alright? Or actually take out all of the rounds and check?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly.
    NRA Member

Some people disassemble there mags every time they clean there guns. I do it about every 6 or 8 trips to the range. Depending on how dirty the gun gets.

I don't worry to much about dust. Unless you live/work in a high dust area, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I haven't disassembled a magazine in a long time. I blow them out with compressed air after a few hundred rounds and then squirt some DRY graphite around the follower.

It's wet lubes that cause dirt and dust to collect in magazines.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My Glock 27 was in a safe for about a decade fully loaded. The spare magazine was also fully loaded. I took it to the range about a month ago to test it before selling it to a friend. The magazines and gun worked flawlessly.

anyone into guns cleans the enough and probably too much

If it is a properly treated spring it will be fine.

I have heard of older Glock magazines taking a set but they still fed reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Few questions here as I'm more of a knife expert and am "in the process" of learning more about guns.

1. I know the science of compression and the only thing that "wears" a spring is compressing/releasing tension and not keeping it compressed....but for a LONG period of time - is it really o.k. to keep your magazine loaded 24/7 for years?
    Lord knows the last thing I need is to have to use my gun and it fails to feed because of a magazine spring.
    Loaded magazines don't "set" a spring; at least not that I have ever seen. I have magazines that are never unloaded for longer than it takes me to refill them after a shooting session and have had zero problems with them.

2. While carrying my handgun around (the house since I'm in Illinois), I keep 2 extra mags in the magazine holder that springfield armory provides with its xd's.
    Is that safe with hollow points? I know it isn't a good thing if dust or any other particles get in and clog up the hollowed out part of the rounds, does the mag holder keep the rounds pretty safe from that?
    A non-existant problem in everyday life. Now if you were rolling around in the mud with exposed ammo ...

Also, the Springfield Xd handguns have the little opening in the back of the gun, is it bad if dust gets in there? and if so, how do you prevent dust from getting in there if your carrying the gun in a holster since that part faces up?

Thanks in advance
    All firearms have holes that dust can get into. Again, it is a non-issue unless you are in a dust storm and/or never clean your firearm.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links