Looking for a Safe

This is a discussion on Looking for a Safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a gun safe to house two rifles, two handguns, and maybe some misc ammo/supplies. I'm not looking for anything fire resistant, or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Safe

Looking for a Safe

I'm looking for a gun safe to house two rifles, two handguns, and maybe some misc ammo/supplies.

I'm not looking for anything fire resistant, or one of those big, heavy, thousand dollar safes. Just something in the $100-$300 range, key or combination locked, but relatively well built. There are no kids in the house, but i tend to have people over, and id prefer that all of my range weapons are locked up. I have a safe by my bed for my home defense gun, and my CCW, so quick access is not an issue.

I went to Gander Mountain here in Denver, but they had nothing under $500. Ive also heard WalMart has a few options, but of the three I've checked, none had anything. Ive also been to Dicks and a Sports Authority. Neither had much inventory.

If anyone knows of any stores here in the Denver metro area, or some good options that fit my criteria online (This would be my second choice due to shipping charges), i would REALLY appreciate it.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

2. Remove Ads

The price range you are looking at IMO you are not going to get anything good. I have a Safe I got for $800.00 It holds 8 long guns and has 4 shelfs.

Start here... Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by djz87 View Post
    I'm looking for a gun safe to house two rifles, two handguns, and maybe some misc ammo/supplies.

I'm not looking for anything fire resistant, or one of those big, heavy, thousand dollar safes. Just something in the $100-$300 range, key or combination locked, but relatively well built. There are no kids in the house, but i tend to have people over, and id prefer that all of my range weapons are locked up. I have a safe by my bed for my home defense gun, and my CCW, so quick access is not an issue.

I went to Gander Mountain here in Denver, but they had nothing under $500. Ive also heard WalMart has a few options, but of the three I've checked, none had anything. Ive also been to Dicks and a Sports Authority. Neither had much inventory.

If anyone knows of any stores here in the Denver metro area, or some good options that fit my criteria online (This would be my second choice due to shipping charges), i would REALLY appreciate it.
    That combination is an oxymoron. At that price range, you are buying a sheet-metal storage cabinet, not a safe. One of these will probably keep the kiddies out, but not much else.

This is the absolute MINIMUM I would buy:

Sentry®Safe Gun Safe - G5241 at The Home Depot
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Unfortunately, I have to agree with most of the posts here. I had one of the old Walmart $100 specials that was a sheet metal safe that would take a crack head about 10 minutes to get through. I will tell you my reasoning for buying this safe was to keep the kids away from them; and if that is you intention then it will be fine. If your looking for something the actually discourage a theft then your price range will need to change.

I now have a Browning safe and love it.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Two rules of safe buying:
    1. Any safe is better than no safe.
    2. Buy one twice as big as you think you need.

I wanted a $750 safe. I bought a $1500 safe, and I don't regret it for one minute.
    If your city has a dealer, look for used safes, you might get a deal. I saw safes that looked brand new, because folks moved and didn't pay to move it.

VIP Member
    You might want to think about a used unit. Safes are kinda like Suburbans. Expensive to make but they depreciate very quickly.

Check with your local locksmiths, auctions, Craigs List, etc.

I picked up a 6000lb Amsec safe that was surplus to a bank's need for $600 some years back. Although I did have to pay a pretty penny to have it moved to my place.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnybunny View Post
    6000lb
    holy crap!!!!!!!!!!
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by djz87 View Post

Check out the Liberty Centurion at Lowes.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Also look at Costco. They have a few choices.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Some folks use old refrigerators for low budget solutions
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

I good solid double lock Homak gun cabinet is better than none at all, if you cannot find a Safe in your price range, but you probably saw those at Dick's Sporting...
    NRA,GOAL,CMP,GCA,USCCA
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, iTP, AMK
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Always go bigger if you can. You will use it. Lay away plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links