Red Dot Question

This is a discussion on Red Dot Question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all. I have a question for the team here, and any others that may have the answer. As some of you know, I love ...

Thread: Red Dot Question

Red Dot Question

Howdy all.

I have a question for the team here, and any others that may have the answer.

As some of you know, I love lasers. I think I've got that issue solved, but another question came up regarding another tool for use in the Tool Box. I recently saw, in a "gun rag" a short blurb on using a Red Dot Sight on a handgun. This is something I'm considering for my concealed carry Glock, and my Adult Supervisor's Glock as well.

I'm wondering what the pros and cons are. I'm planning to put a rail mounted light/laser on the wife's gun, and attatch a light/laser to mine when needed. I always carry a flashlight, so I won't be using the light to illuminate things I don't want to shoot.

I'm a fan of the EO Tech on my M4 and I'm wondering if a red dot on the Glock would be a good set-up? These would be going on a pair of Glock 19's. The 26 will get a set of Night Sights and an CT Lasergrip. The Glock 19's would get a rail mounted light/laser, along with either the Red Dot, or a set of Night Sights.

One Glock 19 is a daily carry gun, while the other, wife's, is a home defense handgun, as she chooses not to carry, but prefers a gun at home for defense. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to guns, gadgets and gear.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Gabe Suarez's group at WarriorTalk probably has the most information on this concept.

Update On Red Dots and Pistols - Warrior Talk Forums
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Bowie from Bowie Tactical has been running one for duty (he's SWAT I believe) and CCW for a while now... I saw some posts over on m4carbine.net about it....

Miniature red dots on Glocks - M4Carbine.net Forums
    S&W M&P and Trijicon RMR - M4Carbine.net Forums
    My Mp RMR combo - M4Carbine.net Forums
    S&W M&P with Insight MRDS - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    One of my friends is a firearms instructor for a local College Police Force. He said two of their officers have \ use a small red dot on their duty handgun's in the rear sight position. I don't know which one's they have but they like them.

I've been considering one for my CCW too. Bummer for me is My CCW isn't listed for any mounts to fit them. I have the S&W CS45.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    As long as they're robust, have some way of being immediately "backed up," and you can carry/conceal them, and they don't interfere with the operation/manipulation of the firearm....then I say go for it. It's your weapon, make it work best for you!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Links