Anyone EDC a Steamlight stylus?

This is a discussion on Anyone EDC a Steamlight stylus? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm looking for a LED EDC small light that I can pocket easily. I've been looking at the Streamlight stylus pro because of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone EDC a Steamlight stylus?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a LED EDC small light that I can pocket easily. I've been looking at the Streamlight stylus pro because of it's everyday appearance, slim profile, and price...I don't really want to spend more than $30 on a light and looking for recommendations.

Lead Moderator
    Look at the streamlight microstream. It is still small but has much more light output plus uses a standard battery.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have the microstream in my back pants pocket of my suit pants as I type this. I bought it and a microstream for my fiancee for a penlight for her nursing classes. She kept the microstream, and i got the longer stylus pro. They are both serviceable but the microstream is smaller. I would probably go with it first. I prefer my Surefire E1L, but it cuts holes in my pockets with the knurling.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I've had both and I would atually tell you to buy something else. My Microstream (single AAA cell) worked ok for a while then the switch took a crap. Not hard use either. No question they are very small and slim, but I won't buy another. Just my experience.

Emrah

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Look at the streamlight microstream. It is still small but has much more light output plus uses a standard battery.
    +1 on the microstream. It's super small, plenty bright and if you ever lose/damage it it's like 15.00 bucks to replace. Can't beat that.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have the microstream also and I really like this light for its size and the fact that it uses a regular, easy to find AAA battery. No problems here and I have dropped mine numerous times and the switch and LED works every single time. A solid product IMHO.
    God bless our troops!

Well, that Streamlight is rated at only 24 lumens. That's not very bright. If you just need a little light here and there, then I guess it would be OK. But since this is a "Defensive Carry" sub-forum, then it stands to reason that you are somewhat interested in tactical self-defense. In that case, 24 lumens ain't gonna cut it IMHO.

I would recommend one of the newer Quark "Tactical" series. I recently bought a Quark 123*2 Tactical XP-G R5, and this thing rocks. It puts out over 200 lumens, that's almost 10 times as much as the Streamlight. The tactical strobe on this Quark is really bright and disorienting. Plus it's really small and lightweight. Here's a link to the Quark I bought: Quark 123˛ Tactical, R5 Edition 4Sevens.Com

Or, if you'd prefer the Quark Tactical that uses AA batteries, then look here: Quark AA˛ Tactical, R5 Edition 4Sevens.Com

The Quark AA2 Tactical is a little more money than you mentioned ($59), but light-years ahead of the Streamlight in performance IMHO. Here's a video review of the Quark AA tactical, by 'Nutnfancy': YouTube - Quark AA2 Tactical flashlight: Pack Leader

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrah View Post
    I've had both and I would atually tell you to buy something else. My Microstream (single AAA cell) worked ok for a while then the switch took a crap. Not hard use either. No question they are very small and slim, but I won't buy another. Just my experience.

Emrah
    I thought my light took a crap too, but the battery just finally died. I own 3 and gave 2 more to friends . They all work well .
    While the microstream may not be super bright, it hurts the eyes and can temporarily disorient.
    I carry mine while working security (plainclothes) because of the small size. Best light I have found for the size.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yeah for the price I'll most definitely pick one up. I see many people talk about the Quark and Fenix, but I'm not ready to spend $50-$80 on a flash light.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    .... I see many people talk about the Quark and Fenix, but I'm not ready to spend $50-$80 on a flash light.

Yup, yup, I felt the exact same way until I saw the differences firsthand. Once you see a good tactical light in action, you'll realize why it's worth a little extra cash.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Yup, yup, I felt the exact same way until I saw the differences firsthand. Once you see a good tactical light in action, you'll realize why it's worth a little extra cash.

-
    Is there one you can recommend up to $30 most?

U need to look at the Fenix lights...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

is the Fenix E01 any good? Better than the streamlight microstream?

I looked hard at the Streamlight Stylus and Stylus Pro, but they just weren't bright enough, so I bought a 4sevens Preon. It uses 2x AAA batteries and it is an awesome light. 160 lumens out of a AAA light! You can get it with either a rear clicky switch or a twist switch. Plus a very sturdy pocket clip. I'm very happy with this light and highly recommend it. It's great for times when you want to put a light into your pocket and forget about it.

Forgot to add the link:

Preon 2, Stealth Black 4Sevens.Com

For $45 and free shipping, this blows the Streamlight out of the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links