Are there any ear plugs that will plug into your ipod? - Page 2

Are there any ear plugs that will plug into your ipod?

This is a discussion on Are there any ear plugs that will plug into your ipod? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a guy that comes to the range here every couple of months. He makes injection molded custom earplugs that will go into an ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there any ear plugs that will plug into your ipod?

There is a guy that comes to the range here every couple of months. He makes injection molded custom earplugs that will go into an ipod, and what's even better is the speakers (driver), is down below your chin, so the sound is incredible. The down side is you can't detect squibs or other problems while using them.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Not all range have an RSO that uses range commands...mine doesn't.
    Point taken.

Secondly, if you can't safely handle a firearm with music on, what is going to happen if you have to use your firearm with people screaming, crying, dogs barking, and people running around you?[/QUOTE]

That's a rather specious argument as far as I am concerned, but you are more than entitles to think that.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I don't remember saying a single thing about music damaging hearing.

As for all the rest ... well to each his own, I guess. Some things, IMHO, are not candidates for multi-tasking.
    I meant that background music is the least of your worries when it comes to hearing the range officer when everyone is shooting and has hearing protection.

We can just agree to disagree and be friends!

These include a jack for an MP3, etc. player. they work with my iPhone. Sound quality is poor (no bass) but you can adjust the EQ in the iPod, iPhone, etc. to compensate somewhat. When you plug the cord into the headphones they turn off the microphone feed that normally feeds in ambient sound.

EAR-111 - HySkore Over and Out 6 Channel LED Hearing Protection Black NRR of 31dB Interface IPod or Radio Cord
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Look for "in ear" or "in ear canal". I have a pair of Shure E2C that I wear at work with the chipping hammer. I also use them mowing the lawn and weed eating. Because they go into your ear canal like an ear plug would, forming a good seal, they block out everything. I'm deaf to everything around me when I have them on. Never tried it shooting but I'm sure they'd work. They come with an assortment of tips so you can find the one that is most comfortable for your ears. Throw some ear muffs over that and you'd probably not hear a nuke.
    Last edited by cliffyp; March 30th, 2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    There are electronic hearing protectors (headphone style) that have input jacks, but the ones that work tend to be pricey.

For all those that say music is too distracting while shooting, they must not ever have the radio on while driving. Even range commands are simple as pie compared to most driving situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    We can just agree to disagree and be friends!
    Absolutely! It's more fun to argue with friends than enemies!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    There are electronic hearing protectors (headphone style) that have input jacks, but the ones that work tend to be pricey.

For all those that say music is too distracting while shooting, they must not ever have the radio on while driving. Even range commands are simple as pie compared to most driving situations.
    According to the NTSB, the number two cause of driver-distraction crashes is changing the radio/CD player/Sat radio. Number one is talking to the passenger(s).

I remember a long time ago reading about a olympic shotgun shooter that listened to a cd player (before the ipod craze) while training. I forgot my plugs one day and used my "scull candy" noise canceling buds while shooting without music. They were almost as effective as real plugs. I would recommend trying them out, look at Best Buy or a mall FYE.....

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Look for "in ear" or "in ear canal". I have a pair of Shure E2C that I wear at work with the chipping hammer. I also use them mowing the lawn and weed eating. Because they go into your ear canal like an ear plug would, forming a good seal, they block out everything. I'm deaf to everything around me when I have them on. Never tried it shooting but I'm sure they'd work. They come with an assortment of tips so you can find the one that is most comfortable for your ears. Throw some ear muffs over that and you'd probably not hear a nuke.
    Yeah, when you spend 2 or 3 hours mowing the grass, a little music can make the time go by a lot faster.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Point taken.

Secondly, if you can't safely handle a firearm with music on, what is going to happen if you have to use your firearm with people screaming, crying, dogs barking, and people running around you?
    That's a rather specious argument as far as I am concerned, but you are more than entitles to think that. [/QUOTE]

BTDT...firing real-world is very different than shooting on a range...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    I remember a long time ago reading about a olympic shotgun shooter that listened to a cd player (before the ipod craze) while training. I forgot my plugs one day and used my "scull candy" noise canceling buds while shooting without music. They were almost as effective as real plugs. I would recommend trying them out, look at Best Buy or a mall FYE.....
    yeah I actually have some of those and I was thinking those might work.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I have these: JH AUDIO | Pro Music

Never tried them while shooting, but they are awesome otherwise.
    Distributor Of Pain

Quote Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
    I have these: JH AUDIO | Pro Music

Never tried them while shooting, but they are awesome otherwise.
    I'm sure those sound better than anything else in the world for the price of a 1911!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I would not recommend listening to music via ear plugs while driving or shooting. Just not safe IMHOYOMV
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 31st, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links