What is your Primary Carry Position?

This is a discussion on What is your Primary Carry Position? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another thread got me thinking about the sheer number of different positions on or around the body where people carry their guns, and I got ...

View Poll Results: What is your primary carry position?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smart-Carry (or similar front deep concealment)

2 1.41%
  • Appendix (i.e., strong-side front)

17 11.97%
  • Strong Side

97 68.31%
  • Small-of-Back

4 2.82%
  • Cross-Draw

2 1.41%
  • Pocket Carry

14 9.86%
  • Ankle or Thigh rig

1 0.70%
  • Shoulder rig (or T-Shirt holster, &c.)

1 0.70%
  • Fanny Pack (i.e., anything other than a holster but attached to you)

2 1.41%
  • Off Body (e.g., Purse, Maxpedition, &c.)

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

2 1.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your Primary Carry Position?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Another thread got me thinking about the sheer number of different positions on or around the body where people carry their guns, and I got curious as to how many use each type. So, look at the poll and tell me what you use more often than not.

This is really about positioning, and not specific equipment. That is, you might strong-side carry IWB, OWB, clip-draw, or belly-band. All of those would count as strong-side carry as far as I am concerned. Shoulder rigs and T-Shirt holsters are basically the same for this purpose.

For the beltline positions, I pretty much mean (to a right-handed shooter) Appendix (12:00--2:00), Strong Side (2:00--5:00), Small of Back (5:00--7:00), and Cross-Draw (9:00--12:00). Southpaws would be mirror image.

Feel free to add any comments about specific style in your posts. For me, most of the time I carry it is an MTAC IWB at 4:30 under a tucked shirt.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    My primary carry position depends on how I'm carrying. On duty, 3:00. Off duty CC, 4:30 (not listed), and off duty OC, 3:00. Because I CC a fair amount of time I voted other.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Honestly, I am a bit surprised at how thoroughly strong-side is leading the poll. With all the talk about different carry equipment and positions, I would have expected a bit more of a spread...

Keep 'em coming.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Strong side IWB.

strong side IWB. round 2:30 or 3
    (I would consider 4:30 strong side as well)

When not there, then smart carry
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I almost voted strong side, simply because most of my holsters are strong side but lately I've been carrying pocket carry, so thats what I chose.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

At work including to and from; it's strong side pocket, all others strong side owb.

I didn't vote as it's about 50/50 give or take.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I'm the cross draw guy. I was struck by lightning while active duty LEO and it's hard for me to reach and draw from strong side.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm the cross draw guy. I was struck by lightning while active duty LEO and it's hard for me to reach and draw from strong side.
    Wow. Well, if that's the worst side effect you carry from being hit by freakin' lightning, I'm glad to hear it... If I may ask, is it lingering muscular effects that keep you from reaching backwards or something...?

1st...Strong side OWB, 4:30
    2nd...IWB/SOB, 5:30
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would have like to see "behind the hip" added. This is the position most people show up to class using and have the most problem with accessing the gun while up against a wall/vehicle or on the ground. Depending on what I am doing it is appendix or on the seam of the pants.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    I would have like to see "behind the hip" added. This is the position most people show up to class using and have the most problem with accessing the gun while up against a wall/vehicle or on the ground. Depending on what I am doing it is appendix or on the seam of the pants.- George
    To be in that position, to me indicates bad situational awareness 90+% of the time. You've given up largo and are forced into corto, not a good time to be going for a gun.

YMMV, and I'm no expert, just know what I would do.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Strong side and/or pocket carry
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I went with strong side, even though I actually carry on my presently weaker side. Once upon a time, my right arm was indeed stronger, but I performed most skilled tasks as a lefty. I chose to carry as a rightie because I tended to lead with my left side during a confrontation, drawing while seated in the driver's seat of a vehicle favors the right-hander, and most firearms tended to favor right-hand use, including the 1911, with which I learned handgunning. Chronic issues have weakened my right arm and hand, but it still makes sense for my left hand to be my support hand. For one thing, grasping the slide is a much surer thing with my stronger left hand, and feeding a new mag into the mag well is also better done with the more dextrous left hand.

I've been using a Tommys Gun Pack Low Pro Sidekick for a month or so as my primary means of carry. It's very comfortable and not too noticable. I wear it at at 11:00 . It has a verticle draw and is real easy to use. I normally leave my shirts untucked and they cover quite nicely. It's not as bulky front to back as a normal fanny pack. But there really isn't room for anything else in the pack. I ordered mine without the belt intending to put on my regular belt but that didn't work so well. So I went to Home Depot and got a web belt in the tool belt area. Now this belt kicks butt! It's a lot stiffer than the belts that come on most fanny packs. It doesn't fold on itself and has a lot of support. Plus it's only $5.95!

http://http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TGP%2D045
    Question Everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links