Kids in the house, still want quick access to gun.

This is a discussion on Kids in the house, still want quick access to gun. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live alone out here with my three sons. I have very good reasons to be armed, and a constant expectation of trouble. I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids in the house, still want quick access to gun.

Kids in the house, still want quick access to gun.

I live alone out here with my three sons. I have very good reasons to be armed, and a constant expectation of trouble. I will save that story for another day. With three young children in the house, a loaded gun at my bedside would be neglagent at best, after all they are the ones I am due to protect. I need to keep a weapon at the ready, the only time I may have to get locked and loaded is the time it takes my front door to get kicked in.

How can I effectively lock up a weapon and still have very fast access to it? I was thinking of a bedside safe with pushbutton controls but this could be difficult in the dark. All the gun locks I have seen are a pain!

I own a Glock 26, Ruger LCP, and a Remington 870 magnum with a long barrel.

Just for the record, the last time I called the 911 it took a deputy 40 minutes to get here. Oh, and this county is fine with releasing nut case violent BGs out on a felony conviction after sitting for 60 days!

My sons are very young, 2 years, 5 years, and 8 years old. It needs to be secure.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

2. Remove Ads

Safe

I have little grandkids around quite a bit and was concerned about security too. I bought a Gunvault 2000 to set on the nightstand next to the bed. It has a fingerpad type of opener. They also make one with a fingerprint ID opener. I don't know if it will fit your needs, but you could check it out. Won't help with the 870, though.

Wear it as much as possible. It's the easiest way to control it. Would it be possible to unlock the case at night, when it's just you around it? Then lock it back up during the day. And teach your kids gun safety. While you are kid proofing the guns start working on gun proofing the kids.

For me, it's either on my side or in the nightstand drawer at night.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

The only thing I have seen is the gun vault style push button vaults. One pistol to the vault. Easy to open in the dark. For the 870...best you can do is a conventional lock of some kind. A few minutes practice with the gun vault and you can open it very quickly.

Do NOT rely on trying to put the gun out of reach or hiding it from the kids. There was someone who posted finding their 3 year old sitting on top of the fridge, because they put the cookies up there to keep him out of them.

As others have said - wear it. It becomes almost second nature, and is always ready. Just tech the kids not to touch it. They should be taught gun safety anyways. Not just for your house, but for where ever they find a gun.

VIP Member
    Another vote for wearing a pistol during your waking hours.

A cable lock is an inexpensive way to make the 870 into a club without the key.

A small pistol safe with the finger grooves for the combination release is probably the best bet for what you are asking. They are much less cumbersome after you work the lock a bunch of times. Practice in the dark after you mount it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I used a gunvault. It held my pistol, spare mag, and the key to the gunlocker that had my long guns, which was adjacent to the nighstand as well. Best compromise between right now availablitly and kid-proof storage I could come up with.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

+1 on the gunvault

I numbered my key pad for the wife. Easier to remember a PIN than a sequence of buttons when you are in panic mode.

I also recommend you plug it in to an uninterrupted power supply for double redundancy (the gunvault already has its own battery backup with AA batteries).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As others have said the best thing to do during the day is keep your handgun on your body. Absent spending a bunch of money on a nice full size safe for your bedroom, what I would suggust at night is to lock your bedroom door and keep your handgun on your nightstand. Locking your bedroom door is to keep your little ones out not the BG's as a simple kick will open most bedroom doors. If you go the locked bedroom door route and can get youself into the proper habit, you can unlock and relock your long gun at night while it is in your bedroom with you.

Plus, you can not spend enough time teaching the little ones about gun safety. I bet I talk with my 7 year old at least 5x a week. Everytime I see him even glance at the gun on my hip I remind him of the the house rules.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

I live alone out here with my three sons. I have very good reasons to be armed, and a constant expectation of trouble....With three young children in the house...My sons are very young, 2 years, 5 years, and 8 years old.

+

Until you can ASAP get to...

My 3 and 7 yr. old know nothing else but that dad carrys on the street and at home. It is and has been their norm, like grass being green and the sun being yellow.

If your youngest were the age of your eldest I'd also maybe advocate...

Considering you now for fact that you live in an area of danger the best and most prudent advice would be to very seriously consider doing what you can to remove your children and yourself from that danger. Because if you go down then they are left to the whim of your attacker(s).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by tmizzi View Post
    As others have said the best thing to do during the day is keep your handgun on your body.
    Good practice also to see how good you are at concealment. Many times I know my kids and my wife don't know I have it on me.

Absent spending a bunch of money on a nice full size safe for your bedroom, what I would suggust at night is to lock your bedroom door and keep your handgun on your nightstand. Locking your bedroom door is to keep your little ones out not the BG's as a simple kick will open most bedroom doors.
    I don't agree with this idea - I would not want the door locked because I want my kids to be able to come in during the night if they need to, plus it makes it easier for you to hear what's going on in the rest of the house.

If you go the locked bedroom door route and can get youself into the proper habit, you can unlock and relock your long gun at night while it is in your bedroom with you.
    I also don't know about this. Why not put the gun between the mattress and the box spring, right below you while you sleep. Ditto for the handgun. Or maybe just the handgun, and keep the long gun locked up and use your handgun to fight your way to it if necessary. Get in the habit of taking the handgun with you when you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (I just tuck my SW 3913 in my sleep pants waistband). Just remember to lock everything back up, or put it on, in the AM.

Plus, you can not spend enough time teaching the little ones about gun safety. I bet I talk with my 7 year old at least 5x a week. Everytime I see him even glance at the gun on my hip I remind him of the the house rules.
    Agreeing and adding to this, I let my kids (9 and 14) handle the guns as much as they want, when I'm present. Take away the mystery of the guns and you'll solve a lot of problems.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    I live alone out here with my three sons. I have very good reasons to be armed, and a constant expectation of trouble. I will save that story for another day.
    Well, in addition to a safe of some sort, I would suggest an alarm system, especially the Mark I Canine, of the large and toothy persuasion.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

The best thing to do is train the young ones. I carry a fanny pack with me daily, and when I am at home, it is always within 10 feet of me. I do not have any problems with my boys aged 9, 6 and 5 being around it. They know they do not touch the pack under any circumstances. If I have to take a shower, my wife has control of the weaponry. At night, the pistol is right next to me on the night stand within my immediate reach. I have a large Fort Knox gun safe to lock the rest of the weapons in when we are out of town, as well as a wall stud safe we keep the Benelli and the AR in our Master Bedroom.

Training and common sense are still the best methods.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

OK, about the locked or unlocked bedroom door. Here is a simple solution that works for me. We have younger kids so the door is open at night. My handgun is in the nightstand drawer in a SERPA CQC holster. The holster is to prevent me from grabbing at the gun and having a ND, but it also would do the same for the kids getting to it before I do. However, they have also been taught how to deal with guns, don't touch without me or mommy present. But the holster is another layer of safety. I have also trained myself to grab the holster, disengage the retention button, and drag the holster off on the nightstand drawer. Works for me, YMMV. Matter of fact, both of the handguns that we keep accessible are in holsters. I just don't like an exposed trigger.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I used a gunvault. It held my pistol, spare mag, and the key to the gunlocker that had my long guns [...]
    +1. Wear it while you're awake, put it in the Vault while you sleep.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would suggest the Gun Vault also. And that can work for the shotgun too. Just make sure all of your ammo is locked up elsewhere so you can leave the shotgun unlocked and accessible (empty) and then keep a few shotgun shells in the Gun Vault with the handgun. Loading a few rounds will be quicker than undoing any kind of lock, and you can get good at the vault access with practice. Just make sure you train on doing it in the dark.

If you get the double sized vault you could keep the handgun, enough shotgun shells, and a flashlight all within reach, but secure.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links