LEOs do you always carry two extra mags?

This is a discussion on LEOs do you always carry two extra mags? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always wear two extra mags. With the one in the gun, that is a total of 37 rounds. I keep three extra's loaded in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEOs do you always carry two extra mags?

Senior Moderator
    I always wear two extra mags. With the one in the gun, that is a total of 37 rounds.

I keep three extra's loaded in my bag of tricks.

For an LEO not to have access to a longarm is terrible. There is nothing worse than shooting at someone with a rifle when all you have is a pistol.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

I know it is. (Terrible I mean) I have never shot at anyone and god willing I won't have to. But you mentioned bag of tricks. Check out my other thread

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1578326

I am learning a lot from everyone here. Keep it coming. Thanks
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef
    I was actually looking at back ups today. Ruger LCR to be exact. I have a P3AT but I don't have a vest. Its on the go buy it list.
    you need to save save save save save every last penny you have, cut something out of your spending, whatever it takes AND GET YOUR VEST before you buy another stinking thing

just my opinion, not being rude, that vest should be your #1 priority, the backup, the tools, the shotgun, the extra mags, pouches...can be accommodated later
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

mine is set up so that radio is directly opposite my sidearm. the radio is the most important tool on my belt. it's at 9. glock 21 at 3. cuff cases (asp hinged - much better at control tecnique than chain cuffs) at 5 and 7, rubber glove pouch at 6. surefire g2 just ahead of the radio, then OC at 10, other (cell, extra cuffs, etc. as mission dictates) at 11 for quick access. mags with openings towards 12 positioned at 1 to 2. pocketknife in the pocket under the holster so it doesn't fall out.

backup is in the vest underneath the straps for concealment. this arrangement gives me fast access to everything. the multitool is in the car or the bag. i have an extra mag as my go to **** plan laced in a mag holster to my boot, usually only when i'm on high risk stuff only. i've found that my most commonly used items are radio and flashlight anyway, and having extra batteries for the radio and flashlight are as important if not more than extra ammo. collapsible batons are an option for some units, and we usually have them behind the pistol but i can't remember that item ever breaking leather...

commo is more important to me than bullets - at least from the experience i've gained. stay safe out there!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

I carry 3 spare mags for my G22 on duty or off. I also carry 2 extra mags for my Kahr P40 BUG on duty or off. My belt and vest weigh a ton but I wouldn't trade my tools for anything.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

My only input is that I've never heard of anyone regretting they had one too many bullets...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

I clearly remember a couple of California Highway Patrolmen in Central California (Northridge) who were killed because they ran out of ammo and the bad guys didn't. It was a motivating factor in switching from revolvers to autos and multiple mags.

On the other hand, you have excellent odds of going through your entire career, never being in a fire fight. I would ditch the extra handcuffs and add a couple plastic cuff ties between my belt and pants.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

VIP Member
    my duty rig is:

body mic 1:00
    OC 2:00
    G17 3:00
    ASP behind the pistol at 4:00
    cuff at 5:00
    cuff at 7:00
    radio 8:30
    taser 10:00 (I have a small Kabar TDI on inner belt between radio/taser-pictured behind mag in the photo above but I've since moved it)
    2 spare mags, vertical at 11:00

carry Surfire G2 and nitrile gloves in left cargo pocket
    folding knife with window breaker clipped in left front pocket
    butt-whooping tac gloves in right cargo pocket

S&W 642 strapped to vest under left arm
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    I clearly remember a couple of California Highway Patrolmen in Central California (Northridge) who were killed because they ran out of ammo and the bad guys didn't. It was a motivating factor in switching from revolvers to autos and multiple mags.
    Thats why I like my G17....52 rounds on my belt plus 5 in the BUG on my vest

I hope I never need them, but I like the fact that I have them.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

What I carry....

As a Reserve Deputy we have to carry the load as the regular Deputies. That is duty gun, two spare mags or speed loaders, taser, pepper-spray (OC), a set of handcuffs, our radio and a flashlight. Since the number one failure of a semi-auto is the magazine I would not carry less than two mags. Additionally, if you are looking to make space, then dump one of the sets of cuffs; you can always detain somebody without cuffs until cover arrives.

I also carry an asp, a fixed blade knife (accessible with either hand), a Gerber multi-tool, a spare gun on my ankle (.357 magnum) and six rounds for it on a speed strip.

I would like to say as well that, as great as it is to have a high-cap gun it, for someone to say that "if you are running out of ammo you better be moving to a shotgun or rifle" seems to come from someone who has never been in a situatuion where trying to disengage and move to a long gun is not an (immediate) option and having rounds on your person is more important. I carry a TSW9 with a TLR-1 light so I have 46 rounds, almost a full box of SXT's at my disposal.

All of this is on a 34" waistline where realestate is limited (I'm not skinny but not fat either).

I dont know if having two belts is a good idea either unless one is a tactical belt used for SWAT/Warrant service ops and you can really drop most of the gear since it will be spread across a tac-vest and your belt giving you more options but that does not seem practical but does sound expensive.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.
    Bruce Lee

two mags for me. but you need a vest. i would work on the vest problem before all others.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I've been in LE for over 14 years. I've changed my belt around quite a few times til I found what worked for me. Sometimes to was due to euipment changes (PR-24 to ASP, addition of taser etc...)

My current setup has been in play for a number of years. G23 (3 oclock), ASP (4), G2 LED (7), radio(5), drop leg attachment for Taser X26 (4:30), 2 spare mags (11), cuffs (1), OC (2).

Keltec P3AT support side pocket, Spiderco Tenacious strong side pocket, Surefire E2e clipped i/o support side rear pocket under G2.

I would keep the 21, great sidearm. I would lose the stinger and put the G2 on your belt. This will save some weight. Like Sixto said, put the multitool in the car. Mine is in my bag on p/s seat.

I'm lucky enough to have a Bushy M4 in the car in case it really starts to fly. But a G21 with 2 spares should be good.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    For me, 2 spare mags is a MINIMUM, I usually carry 3 on body. My brother who is a BP Agent always carries 8 mags, 1 in gun, 2 at 11:00, 1 in left side cargo pocket, and 4 in his camelback which he wears 100% of the time on duty.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I am not an LEO but know alot of them since my mom works at the sheriff's dept a lot of them if they had an issue with weight ordered a new belt from blackhawk with suspenders that could be under your vest that helped distribute the weight. May be a better solution that reducing the amount of necessities.

I am switching to the 17 and 19 (not to be carried at same time) I am going to keep two mags and maybe switch back to a double cuff case. The weight difference between 21 and 17 is HUGE!! I really like the 17 I bought it yesterday. I am thinking about dropping the tac light. Still thinking about it. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

PS- The vest is in the works.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links