LEOs do you always carry two extra mags?

This is a discussion on LEOs do you always carry two extra mags? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a LEO in PA. I have no regulations as far as what I have to carry on my belt. I understand that carrying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am a LEO in PA. I have no regulations as far as what I have to carry on my belt. I understand that carrying extra ammo is a really good idea. I also understand that two is one three is two etc. But my question is this. When you carry a big gun with high cap mags. Do you always carry two extra mags or any extra at all? I am having an issue with all the weight around my belt but can't really justify taking anything off. Here's what I carry

G21 13 rounds in gun tlr-1 attached
    2 extra mags
    mk3 OC spray
    surefire g2 in pocket
    stinger on belt
    straight baton ( not expandable)
    multitool
    2 sets of cuffs

I am considering going with a gun cuffs light and adding a radio as my main daily warrant delivery belt and having the full rig for night time or actually warrant arrests.

I've been told by a retired officer of 20 years that if you have to reload its time to go to a bigger weapon ( shotgun/rifle)

PS - I am switching to a G17- with 20 in the gun and a tlr-1 attached

Any input appreciated. I would like to hear from all LEOs new or experienced. Thanks

Jason
    Last edited by AllAbtSlfDef; April 13th, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: forgot to add in beginning
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Hi Jason,

I'm a retired Delaware State Trooper. I started a long time ago, 1969 when we only carried a six shot revolver & twelve spare bullets, loose, not in speed loaders. We did carry a box of shells in the car that you could get to if things were to get real bad. We did not have any vests back then either.

Do you have a kevlar vest? That should be one of your first purchases. I would also carry at least two extra mags. Good luck and keep your head down.

Dave M.

Jason, thanks for being out there protecting us. I am not a LEO, so take this for what it's worth.
    I know many LEO that never needed a single round or their vest. I would ask, how much do you trust your relationship with Mr. Murphy?

Good luck!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I carried one in the gun, two on the belt, one in the cargo pocket. Lots of Agents carry four on the belt.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I carry a Glock 23 with 2 spare mags on my belt for a grand total of 40 rounds.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

VIP Member
    G17, 2 spares always

4 more spares on tac vest in the trunk
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Jason,
    Blessings on you, my son, for standing now where I once stood!
    Yes, two mags minimum: not for capacity but for mechanical dependability.
    A magazine can fail.
    Two magazines can fail.
    That third functioning magazine may become very, very useful in a bad situation.
    Feed lips can bend, followers can stick, Murphy is a scoundrel: carry two extras.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Thanks for all the input everyone. I have not changed my belt around yet but after reading all this I may be investing in more mags for in the car. We are not qualified with shotgun or rifles but if I'm out in the boonies I want a shotgun so I believe in the better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Does anyone know where I can be "qualified" with a shotgun or rifle. PA people any ideas in our state.

Administrator
    Keep the mags on your belt. Ditch the multitool, ( keep it in the car) but get a sturdy folder. I'd also get rid of the g2, you don't need 3 lights.
    For warrant service, I'd also consider getting rid of the baton.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My agency requires a g22 with 2 mags carried on the belt and also provide us with a riot gun and rifle. They also provide the qualification and trainig 4 times a year. They also mandate and provide the ammunition as well as 100 rounds a month for practice. What kind of an agency do you work for? Seems like they should provide everything for you, especially qualification off a riot gun.

A back up gun is a great idea. I know weight is an issue, but you get used to it quick. A Kahr PM9 or .38 snub in the vest is a great investment. Also, if your vest has a trauma plate in the chest, theres usually room in that pocket for yet another mag or two. On another note, how's your luck been with the TLR1? I've found that after a mag full of .45 it falls off (usually blinding me as it spins to the ground). I now use the Xiphos with way better results. Either way, Godspeed and stay safe.

GLOCKMAN- On the contrary, We provide ALL of our own equipment. I am a PA State Constable, we are not allowed to have shotguns or rifles. We have no allowance of any kind. I have been doing this for 3 years so I am used to the weight I just don't like it.

KB2WJI- I was actually looking at back ups today. Ruger LCR to be exact. I have a P3AT but I don't have a vest. Its on the go buy it list. I have had no trouble with my tlr-1 in fact I am going to get the tlr-1s for my new gun.

SIXTO- good idea about the tool, my baton stays in the car most of the time, and my stinger is down for the moment I need to get a new charger for it, just waiting for pay day, if I do it right I can have a new flashlight attached to that charger. I carry minimum 2 knives, sometimes more like 4 but that is a whole other thread.

More advice is good. Thanks.

Something to think about - I have lost a magazine before in an open top mag holder while on a K9 track - yes I did not have it tensioned enough, you dont check em often and they loosen up. I have two mag carriers. One is open top and carries two spare mags. The other has a button down flap to retain the single mag. I dont want to have to be lookin for a mag that is not there if I am involved in something physically active.

+ 1 to the multiple mags for mechanical reasons - they can fail. I agree with getting rid of the baton, a collapsible may be a good lightweight replacement.

I do disagree with getting rid of the multi tool. They aren't heavy, and come in handy in lots of situations. A good folder available for the weak side hand would be a plus.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    I am a LEO in PA. I have no regulations as far as what I have to carry on my belt. I understand that carrying extra ammo is a really good idea. I also understand that two is one three is two etc. But my question is this. When you carry a big gun with high cap mags. Do you always carry two extra mags or any extra at all? I am having an issue with all the weight around my belt but can't really justify taking anything off. Here's what I carry

G21 13 rounds in gun tlr-1 attached
    2 extra mags
    mk3 OC spray
    surefire g2 in pocket
    stinger on belt
    straight baton ( not expandable)
    multitool
    2 sets of cuffs

I am considering going with a gun cuffs light and adding a radio as my main daily warrant delivery belt and having the full rig for night time or actually warrant arrests.

I've been told by a retired officer of 20 years that if you have to reload its time to go to a bigger weapon ( shotgun/rifle)

PS - I am switching to a G17- with 20 in the gun and a tlr-1 attached

Any input appreciated. I would like to hear from all LEOs new or experienced. Thanks

Jason
    On duty I carry 2 extras(one in gun and 2 in mag holder) for off duty CC just 1. I dont do backup guns either.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post

I do disagree with getting rid of the multi tool. They aren't heavy, and come in handy in lots of situations. A good folder available for the weak side hand would be a plus.
    I don't say get rid of it. Mine is kept in my bag in the car. I do use mine a lot too. But I've yet to find a need for it on my belt.

Also, don't ever store stuff in a plate pocket. Bullets like to bounce off of hard stuff and when they do, Murphy says it will go straight up or straight down. Neither is good. Let the vest do as its designed to do and absorb the energy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links