Wilderness Belts - comments?

This is a discussion on Wilderness Belts - comments? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just read about Wilderness Belts on another thread, then googled it. Who uses and/or wants to comment on these? Is the idea that they are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Belts - comments?

Distinguished Member

Wilderness Belts - comments?

Just read about Wilderness Belts on another thread, then googled it.

Who uses and/or wants to comment on these? Is the idea that they are nonleather belts that will be sturdy enough for holsters? What other advantages, etc.

I like that there are no holes and can work with a selection of pants (on the waist and lower riding jeans, etc).

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Excellent belt and service. I'm wearing an instructors' belt now under my hoodie and over my gym shorts after my run.

Sturdy? They are useful for rappelling. That's sturdy.

They are less expensive than leather and have better utility. So if fashion is not the primary factor in your purchase, then get a Wilderness belt!

And welcome to DC, cammo.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Who uses and/or wants to comment on these?
    I've been wearing a 1 1/2" CSM every day for about two years now. I love it.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If you don't get the Instructor's belt, get the Delrin Frequent Flyer (it won't set off metal detectors and doesn't jingle when you are taking it off/putting it on).

Or if you can afford it, get the Titanium Instructor's Belt, as it shouldn't set off metal detectors either.

Belts are good to go, I have 4 of them (2 standard buckle, 2 FF buckle). Until I found them I wore a Milt Sparks belt. I love the micro adjustability of the belt, especially since I found myself between holes on the Sparks belt. Get the 5 stitch version, it offers a bit more stability over the 3 stitch version.

To give you a idea I typically carry a MP45C IWB with Spare mag and light IWB, BUG of some sort (PM9 or 642), phone, keys, kinfe, wallet, etc and the belt is more than stiff enough. I'm pretty sure titanium will set off a metal detector BTW.

Though I believe it is an excellent value and a great belt I have had better utility from a good double thickness leather belt.

I wear it everywhere I wear pants with belt loops.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Excellent belt and service. I'm wearing an instructors' belt now under my hoodie and over my gym shorts after my run.

And welcome to DC, cammo.
    It would probably be uncouth to wear a leather belt with gym shorts so the Insructor style belts trump leather here.

I have had a 5 stitch instructor for about 5 years and it's held up well. It's my primary "gun belt". The only problem I have with it is that it seems to have shrunk an inch or so over the years. Don't know what that's all about. ;) I also have a 1.25" Frequent Flyer that I wear every day. Holds up very well to the daily belt load out (can't carry at work) and does fine with the Jframe for lighter days.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

I've considered Wilderness Belts, but don't like 1.5 in. belts.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mchasal View Post
    I have had a 5 stitch instructor for about 5 years and it's held up well. It's my primary "gun belt". The only problem I have with it is that it seems to have shrunk an inch or so over the years. Don't know what that's all about. ;) I also have a 1.25" Frequent Flyer that I wear every day. Holds up very well to the daily belt load out (can't carry at work) and does fine with the Jframe for lighter days.
    mchasal's facetious comment reminds me that I returned the 30" Wilderness Instructor's belt to Midway in exchange for a 34" that works perfectly. Just sayin', "go for the big one". And, with the micro-adjustment, always keep your girlish figure.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I LOVE my 5-stitch instructors belt. Even when I'm not carrying the belt is perfectly comfortable. It doesn't sag at all for me when I'm wearing an XD9sc and spare mag.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I've considered Wilderness Belts, but don't like 1.5 in. belts.
    They make 1.25" Frequent Flyer belts in 5 stitch and CSM models. The original Instructor belt comes in 1.5" and 1.75".

I wear a 5 stitch or CSM probably 90% of the time. I love my leather belts but the adjustability of the Wilderness are great.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    I'll go along with what most of the others have said already. Good belt that will hold up whatever you need it to.

I will also add a couple of observations. First, if you use a holster that slides on, as opposed to clip or snap on, the velcro backing can bind on holsters with particularly narrow slots. Second, it is not very fashionable. It is fine for running around and working in the yard or whatever, but if you need something that can do double duty, you may want to look at leather.

All in all it is a very good item, and I recommend them as an addition to a good quality leather gun belt.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I've got a 1.5" Instructor with the CSM insert. Holds my all-steel full size Fusion 1911 with rail and mag-well (easily the heaviest 1911 I've handled) + a double mag pouch with two additional Wilson ETMs --- without deforming at all.

And at its price, it can't be beat. Micro adjust-ability helps you get that perfect tension.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

I've got a Galco leather belt I wear with 33" waist Levis that I love, but since 5.11s don't come in 33" waist ( and 32 is too tight and 34 is too loose) I have a 1.5" 5 stitch instructor belt I wear with my 34" 5.11s. The adjustability is great. I carry a full size Kimber 1911 and the belt works just fine. If I were to order another one, I'd go to the 1.75" one though. The adjustability is the best thing about the belt and very useful for me. I always put about 10-12 extra pounds on during the winter due to inactivity, which I loose during the summer when I am much more active. The Wilderness belt is great for the fluctuation.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I bought an original in 1996. I wear it daily. I am still wearing it today, that is a testament to the quality. I also bought a giles bag at the same time, still use it daily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links