Defensive Carry banner

Wilderness Belts - comments?

5K views 41 replies 36 participants last post by  Sleipnir 
#1 ·
Just read about Wilderness Belts on another thread, then googled it.

Who uses and/or wants to comment on these? Is the idea that they are nonleather belts that will be sturdy enough for holsters? What other advantages, etc.

I like that there are no holes and can work with a selection of pants (on the waist and lower riding jeans, etc).

#2 ·
Excellent belt and service. I'm wearing an instructors' belt now under my hoodie and over my gym shorts after my run.

Sturdy? They are useful for rappelling. That's sturdy.

They are less expensive than leather and have better utility. So if fashion is not the primary factor in your purchase, then get a Wilderness belt!

And welcome to DC, cammo.

#6 ·
Though I believe it is an excellent value and a great belt I have had better utility from a good double thickness leather belt.

I wear it everywhere I wear pants with belt loops.

Excellent belt and service. I'm wearing an instructors' belt now under my hoodie and over my gym shorts after my run.

And welcome to DC, cammo.
It would probably be uncouth to wear a leather belt with gym shorts so the Insructor style belts trump leather here.

#4 ·
If you don't get the Instructor's belt, get the Delrin Frequent Flyer (it won't set off metal detectors and doesn't jingle when you are taking it off/putting it on).

Or if you can afford it, get the Titanium Instructor's Belt, as it shouldn't set off metal detectors either.

#5 ·
Belts are good to go, I have 4 of them (2 standard buckle, 2 FF buckle). Until I found them I wore a Milt Sparks belt. I love the micro adjustability of the belt, especially since I found myself between holes on the Sparks belt. Get the 5 stitch version, it offers a bit more stability over the 3 stitch version.

To give you a idea I typically carry a MP45C IWB with Spare mag and light IWB, BUG of some sort (PM9 or 642), phone, keys, kinfe, wallet, etc and the belt is more than stiff enough. I'm pretty sure titanium will set off a metal detector BTW.

#7 ·
I have had a 5 stitch instructor for about 5 years and it's held up well. It's my primary "gun belt". The only problem I have with it is that it seems to have shrunk an inch or so over the years. Don't know what that's all about. ;) I also have a 1.25" Frequent Flyer that I wear every day. Holds up very well to the daily belt load out (can't carry at work) and does fine with the Jframe for lighter days.

#9 ·
I have had a 5 stitch instructor for about 5 years and it's held up well. It's my primary "gun belt". The only problem I have with it is that it seems to have shrunk an inch or so over the years. Don't know what that's all about. ;) I also have a 1.25" Frequent Flyer that I wear every day. Holds up very well to the daily belt load out (can't carry at work) and does fine with the Jframe for lighter days.
mchasal's facetious comment reminds me that I returned the 30" Wilderness Instructor's belt to Midway in exchange for a 34" that works perfectly. Just sayin', "go for the big one". And, with the micro-adjustment, always keep your girlish figure. :danceban:

#11 ·
They make 1.25" Frequent Flyer belts in 5 stitch and CSM models. The original Instructor belt comes in 1.5" and 1.75".

I wear a 5 stitch or CSM probably 90% of the time. I love my leather belts but the adjustability of the Wilderness are great.

#12 ·
I'll go along with what most of the others have said already. Good belt that will hold up whatever you need it to.

I will also add a couple of observations. First, if you use a holster that slides on, as opposed to clip or snap on, the velcro backing can bind on holsters with particularly narrow slots. Second, it is not very fashionable. It is fine for running around and working in the yard or whatever, but if you need something that can do double duty, you may want to look at leather.

All in all it is a very good item, and I recommend them as an addition to a good quality leather gun belt.

#13 ·
I've got a 1.5" Instructor with the CSM insert. Holds my all-steel full size Fusion 1911 with rail and mag-well (easily the heaviest 1911 I've handled) + a double mag pouch with two additional Wilson ETMs --- without deforming at all.

And at its price, it can't be beat. Micro adjust-ability helps you get that perfect tension.

#14 ·
I've got a Galco leather belt I wear with 33" waist Levis that I love, but since 5.11s don't come in 33" waist ( and 32 is too tight and 34 is too loose) I have a 1.5" 5 stitch instructor belt I wear with my 34" 5.11s. The adjustability is great. I carry a full size Kimber 1911 and the belt works just fine. If I were to order another one, I'd go to the 1.75" one though.:yup: The adjustability is the best thing about the belt and very useful for me. I always put about 10-12 extra pounds on during the winter due to inactivity, which I loose during the summer when I am much more active. The Wilderness belt is great for the fluctuation.:smile:

#17 · (Edited)
If I'm not in dress pants (at work), then I'm armed and (still wearing pants) using a Wilderness 5-stitch (1.5")...I have about 4 of them...great belts!:hand10::yup:

#19 ·
Love my wilderness belt. I think they make even more sense for ladies who's fashion may raise and lower the waist of slacks. And you can set the tightness exactly where you want it, for IWB, OWB or just had a big dinner!:bier:

#20 ·
All in all it is a very good item, and I recommend them as an addition to a good quality leather gun belt.
I concur. :hand10:

While I don't use a Wilderness Belt, yet, as I prefer leather many people I know and respect do. They are honest enough to tell me what they think of the Wilderness Belt and I have no problem recommending them.

With that said, I ordered one earlier this week and can't wait to give it a go.

Biker

#22 ·
I live just a few miles from the Wilderness store and stopped by Monday afternoon to pick up a 1.5" stitch belt in black. They didn't have one in my fatboy size in stock, so, they made it up for me right then. Fantastic service! Fantastic belt!

#24 ·
+1 for Wilderness Tactical

Have 2(one NEW in reserve,so to speak!). GREAT belts. They hold up everything from my Glocks(G26 and G19)to my Colt Officers Model plus spare ammo. My pants stay up too!:danceban: all kiiddin' aside a great piece of kit and Made in US too!:smile:

#29 ·
I do the Frequent Flier Belts.

I have a couple in 36 and a couple in 38 depending on whether I am carrying IWB or OWB. Usually go with the 1.25" but have the 1.5" as well.

I've had my oldest one for about 5 years or so.

One of the hidden benefits of them is that when you are forced to use a public restroom you can double the velcro back over and lock it down so you don't have a holster slide off.

99.9 percent of the time I am wearing my shirt untucked and if I am I am wearing a Wilderness belt.

#30 ·
I have the instructor belt. After feeding it through the buckle there's a long tongue that needs to be folded back against the belt and velcroed down. That's fine, but the tongue is so long that it covers all or part of the adjacent belt loop. I have to leave the end of the tongue flapping over the belt loop. Sometimes I take the trouble of threading the tongue under the belt loop and velcroing it down, but it's kind of a pain.

I never go rapelling, so if I had it to do over I'd look for a belt that doesn't depend on a long, velcroed tongue for safety during rapelling.

Other than that, all the good things people have mentioned about this belt I agree with.

#31 ·
Had mine, Instructors about 3 yrs - still holds well, but the velcro has bald spots and tends to let the end flap around. (Wonder if Wilderness sews a new one in if requested) Also, a few broken threads on it, but they are excellent belts and I've ordered another with insert. I have a great sharkskin belt I use for lighter guns, but the heavier are much easier to carry with the micro-adjustments possible with the Wilderness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.