Solo camouflage tent....

This is a discussion on Solo camouflage tent.... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the middle of putting together a bug out bag, and thought that having a small camouflage tent would be a good idea. ...

Thread: Solo camouflage tent....

Solo camouflage tent....

I am in the middle of putting together a bug out bag, and thought that having a small camouflage tent would be a good idea. I am looking for the smallest, well built, and waterproof tent that I can. That's not too much money. Just something that if SHTF, my wife and I could use for cover. I am having trouble finding ANY camo tents that aren't pretty large.

Anyone have any good ideas?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    I am in the middle of putting together a bug out bag, and thought that having a small camouflage tent would be a good idea. I am looking for the smallest, well built, and waterproof tent that I can. That's not too much money. Just something that if SHTF, my wife and I could use for cover. I am having trouble finding ANY camo tents that aren't pretty large.

Anyone have any good ideas?
    If you're looking for something to put in a bug out bag I would shy away from buying a tent. You are going to pay high dollar for a camo tent that is light weight enough that you'd want to carry in your bug out bag. Anything which is affordable and sleeps two is gonna be around 8-10 lbs just for the tent.

With one 6 x 8 ft silicon coated nylon tarp (known as a Sil Tarp) which weighs about 9 oz and some paracord I can build an expedient shelter for two in about 10 min. An 8 x 10 silicon/nylon tarp at 12 oz would be even better.

In an hour (maybe less) and lining the inside of the tarp with a space blanket (2 oz) and one additional space blanket (2 oz) on the ground along with branches and vegetation on the top, floor and ends (insulation, camouflage and weather proofing), I can build a semi-permanent shelter for two which is like a toaster oven inside using a "small" campfire in front of it.

Plus the use of quality sil tarps are much more versatile than a tent. For a bug out bag, you want as many items as possible to have multiple uses.

Take some time and learn some bush craft skills to include shelter building before you need them and you'll be better served in an emergency.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You do make a good point, and I have those items as well. But someone must make a good small tent right?

Just weighing my options...
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Senior Moderator
    I would just use a poncho. I have backpacked for years and used a mil surplus poncho for my shelter. It is light weight you can use it as a poncho and it shelters you from the elements.

A poncho does not have poles netting and other stuff so it takes up less space and weight than a tent. You can use that extra space and weight for more important things, like food, water, ammo, cash, medicine or whatever you need.

I highy recommend that you take your time to make your kit. Make a long list and then work down to what will fit in your bags(s). Once you have your bag(s) packed take only them and go camping. This will quickly tell you what you need and don't need from your bag. You do not want to wait until an emergency to find out that you left out something.

There are several variations like Alpha ten

Simple Discovery Channel test

Good 72 hour Bug out bag Recommendations When Technology Fails I highly recommend this book for anyone who is serious about preparedness.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

pgrass101, +1 on the poncho.

My bug out bag/emergency survival pack has a 6'x8' Sil Tarp (9 oz) and a 5' x 9' Sil Poncho (10 oz) plus I have three space blankets at (2 oz ea.). That's a hell of a lot of multi-function shelter options for a total of 25 oz. (1.5 lbs). Plus the weight of 100 ft. of paracord.

Now that tarp and poncho cost about $60 each, but again, both items are ultralight, strong, and multi-functional.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Bark'n

Your space blanket is a good addition. It is much more functional than my "Squirrel Nest" of leaves and branches that I gather. I have yet to try this since my sons have been born, it's been hard enough keeping up with the formula and bottle requirments for the Bug-Out bag over the last 18 months
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    You do make a good point, and I have those items as well. But someone must make a good small tent right?

Just weighing my options...

Lots of sources out there claybreaker0. Here's a couple of sources I have bought from in the past and had good luck, but it may be difficult to find a cammo tent. Still you should be find some in earth tone solid colors. I have other resources so let me know if you need more options.

Campmor

REI

Hennessy Hammocks

Kittery Trading Post

Sportsman's Guide
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Bark'n

Your space blanket is a good addition. It is much more functional than my "Squirrel Nest" of leaves and branches that I gather. I have yet to try this since my sons have been born, it's been hard enough keeping up with the formula and bottle requirments for the Bug-Out bag over the last 18 months

pgrass101, For a semi-permanent survival shelter you can build and have functional in about an hour:

Build a "lean to" shelter with your Sil Tarp or poncho, but use a space blanket as an "inner liner" to the tarp or ponch (so you have 2 layers), and one space blanket as the floor of your shelter.

Then pile on light branches and vegetation against the back side (exterior) of the shelter for structural support, wind protection & water proofing. Use branches and vegetation to enclose the ends and to make a mattress on top of the floor space blanket.

Be sure to use a 1.5"-2" horizontal ridge beam (long tree branch) before you start piling branches and stuff on top of your tarp or it'll collapse under the weight. Also make sure the branches you place on the back side of your shelter are long enough to rest against the ridge beam.

You are now essentially living inside a "reflector oven!"

Build a small campfire a couple of feet in front of your shelter and you'll bake like a friggon potato inside even if it's 10 degree's below zero.

Obviously you make improvements and build on it as time permits in the following days. For just a single overnight in moderate or summer temps, you don't even need to mess with any of the branches, vegetation or space blankets... Just throw up the tarp or poncho.

It's a great skill to teach the kids when they are old enough, plus helps you practice your skills. I'll be doing that this summer with my 8 year old granddaughter and my friends 7 & 8 year old sons along with teaching them fire making and other bush craft skills.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I also love bungee cords for making shelters with tarps and ponchos.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    I also love bungee cords for making shelters with tarps and ponchos.
    Bungee cords can and does make many things so much simpler and quicker than using paracord. Great to have several with you.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Definitely agree with the poncho. I've used them for years in all kinds of weather. Dependable, simple, and multi use.

Lead Moderator
    A poncho works great (search alpha tent) or a gortex bivy sack . What ever you end up with try it out before you need it so you know how it will be set up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links