Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy?

This is a discussion on Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; a fourth of the way up the stairs to that second floor you'll change your mind about the location....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy?

a fourth of the way up the stairs to that second floor you'll change your mind about the location.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Bolted to both floor and walls. "

Couldn't help but to laugh at the mental image. After you lug it up there, will you still think it needs to be bolted to the floor? (Hernias popping out!)
    From what I have read, bolting it down is not really to prevent "them" from taking the whole safe out, but to prevent them from tipping it over in order to more easily work at it with a 6' prybar.

Now, with small pistol safes, it's to prevent them from walking off with it. ;)
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Administrator
    A lot depends on your particular house construction.
    Try to at least put it in a corner. That's where a floor is strongest.

My wife and I agreed that I could get a gun safe, as large as I would like. She also agreed that I could put it out in my 12' x 24' shed with my bass boat. She also said that I could say that I was the boss of my household, but she is the CEO. Well, it's worked for 44 years.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A lot depends on your particular house construction.
    Try to at least put it in a corner. That's where a floor is strongest.
    House was built 10 years ago by a reputable builder. Basic stick construction with a full brink exterior. I was definately planning on the upstairs corner of the house. The safe I had my sights on is 72"x36"x22". That would put it over two floor joists.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am still holding out for a member to tell me thay have had a 5,000 pound safe in the upstairs corner for 100 years and it has never been a problem.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

We have one of these. Liberty Safe - Lincoln #735 empty, over truss type construction, placed on an exterior wall.

We negotiated installation in the purchase price. They had the equipment and manpower to get the job done.

They were in and out in less than 20 minutes.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

TMIZZI - My place was built in 1994 by a reputable builder. I just put a 565 lbs Liberty safe in my den on the second floor. It's about 5 feet from a load-bearing wall and up against an outside wall.

I know in reading some general info about gun safes prior to purchase, that they suggest a 750 lbs minimum to prevent someone from absconding with it. But unless you have interior space requirements, I'd suggest to you that 750 lbs on a second floor, bolted to the wall and the floor, is probably overkill. Anybody who can get mine loose, down the stairs, and outside to a truck without the neighbors noticing, deserves to have it. We're talking some pretty specialized moving equipment to get it in the house and up the stairs, past 180 degree turn on the landing.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    We have one of these. Liberty Safe - Lincoln #735 empty, over truss type construction, placed on an exterior wall.

We negotiated installation in the purchase price. They had the equipment and manpower to get the job done.

They were in and out in less than 20 minutes.
    Perfect. That was what I wanted to hear. By the way ... beautiful safe you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Backroad View Post
    Anybody who can get mine loose, down the stairs, and outside to a truck without the neighbors noticing, deserves to have it.
    Now I don't care who you are that is a funny.

Thanks for the imput!

Quote Originally Posted by tmizzi View Post
    Perfect. That was what I wanted to hear. By the way ... beautiful safe you have there.
    We bought it from a local gun shop, and where very pleased with the whole experience.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator
    Get 4 200# people to all stand in the corner. If they all fall through the 1st floor ceiling - don't put the safe there.

Seriously though you should be good to go.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmizzi View Post
    House was built 10 years ago by a reputable builder. Basic stick construction with a full brink exterior. I was definately planning on the upstairs corner of the house. The safe I had my sights on is 72"x36"x22". That would put it over two floor joists.
    I believe the answer is no, the floor is not rated for that kind of weight. I'm not a math whiz, so take this with a grain of salt. My thoughts are based on this article...

Floor Load Tables

The safe weighing in at 750 pounds and a footprint of around 2.5 square feet has a static load of 300 pounds per square foot. This easily exceeds the more conservative load rating of 30 pounds per square foot by a factor of 10, and the safe is empty.

There are folks better at math on the boards who can calculate this exactly, and there are certainly smarter folks on here than me, but the answer would seem to be no, the floor can't handle the safe.

Being in a corner might actually make it worse since the load is spread across a smaller span.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    The safe weighing in at 750 pounds and a footprint of around 2.5 square feet has a static load of 300 pounds per square foot. This easily exceeds the more conservative load rating of 30 pounds per square foot by a factor of 10, and the safe is empty.
    I don't know how to do this either, but I weigh about 190# and if I stand with my feet together I'm about a square foot. So that's way over the 30 psf too. Clearly, we're all not dropping through our floors, so there's something missing here.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

VIP Member
    I think you are correct, and I am wrong. Probably why I'm not an engineer.

I think the formula considers the total length of the span in feet, and the total weight on the span, including walls, furniture, etc. This total load figure induces a given amount of flex, which is apparently consistant with the size of the joist. Something like that.

My head hurts, I'm gonna stop now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links