Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy? - Page 4

Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy?

This is a discussion on Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From personal experience, I had a 1000 lb. safe on a ground floor with a crawl space beneath and never had any problem. Bolting it ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    From personal experience, I had a 1000 lb. safe on a ground floor with a crawl space beneath and never had any problem. Bolting it to the studs in the wall will actually help support some of the weight. If the safe is wide enough, you could utilize two studs at either end of the safe.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

My water heater is upstairs, across the storage unit from my safe, so I know I am ok.

and at 36" you could put it on 3 joists if you wanted.

Safe

It does matter if you bolt it. The door is the heaviest part. Any settling of the floor or carpet it
    Rests on will cause it to tip when you open it. I deliver about three safes a week. I have witnessed a safe falling from away from the wall.
    marcclarke likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Old thread resurrection at its finest. This is 4 1/2 years old. BTW, Gwayne Welcome to the forum from Memphis. (Mogadishu on the Mississippi).
    WHEC724 and Recon1342 like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    BTW, Gwayne Welcome to the forum from Memphis. (Mogadishu on the Mississippi).
    Yet it drew your best post ever!
    lionround likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's not the specific weight but the pounds per square foot measurement that you need to pay attention to. It's not so much that the safe will end up on the 1st floor but that the deflection of the joists will cause plaster cracks and such on the ceiling of the 1st floor. As others have said, locate the floor joists and try to place the safe across as many as possible. They should be on 16" centers so if you locate one, you should have no trouble locating the rest. Whatever you do, don't place the safe along one joist if they run parallel to your safe. This can easily happen as there are 32 inches between 3 joists and your safe is probably not 32" deep. Ensure the safes weight is across the joists not in parallel with them.

P.S. Don't forget to add your weight and maybe a buddies because you will be standing right there whenever you load/unload or otherwise use the safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmizzi View Post
    Perfect. That was what I wanted to hear. By the way ... beautiful safe you have there.
    You have not provided any information regarding the age of your house or the type of construction.

I can tell you that most homes are built using empirical methods for design loads. We normally use code specified standard floor joist span tables that list minimum joist size and spacing for given spans. In residential sleeping areas, floors are normally designed for live loads not to exceed 30 pounds per square foot and dead loads not to exceed 20 pounds per square foot.

Code specified Live loads are conservative. A concentrated load of 750 lb. or loaded to perhaps 1250lb., the safe's area if about 30" x 36" would be a floor area of 7.5 sq. ft.

The corresponding distributed load would not exceed 30 psf but could cause some eccentric loading depending on placement.
    The result would possibly be some minor floor deflection but no failure of the entire floor assembly.

It would be best to locate your safe near exterior perimeter walls, close to any bearing walls or to adjacent corridor (hallway) walls. Corridors are normal designed for slightly higher live loads, usually 40 psf minimum.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Did you have a court order to dig this one up...?

Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I don't have a large gun safe but I do have a small to medium personal safe. I used to have it in my bedroom closet. My local fire department recommended that I put it in the basement on the concrete floor. They said if the house catches fire, the weight of the safe will make it more likely to fall through the wood floor. If it's in the basement it won't fall. Made sense to me so I moved it to the basement.
    Train Hard - Be Safe

Distinguished Member
    I once had a girlfriend ...... but that is a different story. The building did not collapse though. Seriously, you need to find the load bearing capacity of your floor. Ask the super.
    welder516 likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

VIP Member
    Ask the first floor .

I think you will be ok , IANASE
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Administrator
    Can four adults stand in one place in your place? If not you got larger issues to be dealing with. Silly question and a old thread-
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links