Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy?

This is a discussion on Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Questions for those with some knowledge to share. I am in the process of picking out my first large safe. I am looking for a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy?

Is 750 pound safe on second floor too heavy?

Questions for those with some knowledge to share. I am in the process of picking out my first large safe. I am looking for a safe in the 750 pound range before putting anything in it. Not sure what the loaded weight will ultimately be ... I don't have a ton of guns but I do hoard ammo.

I want to place the safe on the second floor of the house in the corner of the master bedroom. Bolted to both floor and walls. This corner is also one of the corners of the house.

Is the weight of the safe plus contents going to be a problem on the second floor?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure, but do you have access to the floor joists below to reinforce the floor? It couldn't hurt...maybe a pain if you have a finished ground floor underneath that would require sheetrock work to get to.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

TOF
    It depends on its footprint. I would if possible position it above a first floor wall and place 3/4" plywood under it in a manner to spread the load over several floor joists.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

jbs
    The only problem I can see is getting it to the second floor.

But unless the house is like 100 years old, placing plywood down to spread the weight over at least 2 floor joists would be fine. I know people that have 125 gallon fish tanks on floors suupported by joists. They are about 5 feet long so they span a couple joists, and when full, they are well over 1000 pounds.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Pianos and full bookcases run 500 to 1000 pounds so I wouldn't worry too much. If you have a properly designed building I suppose it will be ok. Putting the safe close to an exterior or load bearing wall is a good idea. I like the idea of a sheet or two of 3/4 inch plywood beneath it as well.

Store your ammo somewhere else. It is really heavy when you start stacking up cases!

You must have some nice friends... or do they deliver it and carry it up the steps?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I've got two 500lb safes and neither has fallen through yet.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If you are worried about weight, I would spend a few bucks and get the architect to look at the plans for your house. That way you know whether it will support the weight you are planning on putting in it. I suppose it depends on how old your house is and who built it, but finding the architect shouldn't be impossible and getting a look at the plans shouldn't be either.

I guess I would rather go through the hassle of doing that than watch a heavy safe sag a corner of my house. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ever weighed a waterbed?...get 3 friends and go to the place you intend to put the safe...give everyone a big hug and jump up and down...if you dont end up in your living room youre good to go...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Bolted to both floor and walls. "

Couldn't help but to laugh at the mental image. After you lug it up there, will you still think it needs to be bolted to the floor? (Hernias popping out!)
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    ever weighed a waterbed?...get 3 friends and go to the place you intend to put the safe...give everyone a big hug and jump up and down...if you dont end up in your living room youre good to go...
    Can I watch? This is gonna be good...

VIP Member
    Some safes run 2700 pounds and higher. Now, this isn’t something I would consider in a multi-story structure, or even being moved across a single-story tile floor. In your case, I'd be more concerned with damaging the stairs, elevator or floor surface when moving that thing around.

BTW: If you’re married you should know that your wife is going to have you move it around like a tennis ball until she’s satisfied with how it goes in the room. Even then, she's still going to hate it.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Can I watch? This is gonna be good...
    Why just watch ... I was hoping you would come and help.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Bolted to both floor and walls. "

Couldn't help but to laugh at the mental image. After you lug it up there, will you still think it needs to be bolted to the floor? (Hernias popping out!)
    Yeah ... it's probally a little overkill but I figure once it is there it is going to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Pianos and full bookcases run 500 to 1000 pounds so I wouldn't worry too much. If you have a properly designed building I suppose it will be ok. Putting the safe close to an exterior or load bearing wall is a good idea. I like the idea of a sheet or two of 3/4 inch plywood beneath it as well.

Store your ammo somewhere else. It is really heavy when you start stacking up cases!

You must have some nice friends... or do they deliver it and carry it up the steps?
    I figure I am going to pay some pros (with insurance) to do it. If they do any damage on they way up they are on the hook for it not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post

BTW: If you’re married you should know that your wife is going to have you move it around like a tennis ball until she’s satisfied with how it goes in the room. Even then, she's still going to hate it.
    I hear you. I have been throwing out the "big safe upstairs" trial ballon with her for awhile now and I think we are now on the same page as far as location. She knows once it is in place it is staying there until we move out of the house (been there 10 years and plan on another 10 ... then the kids will be out of the house and we can move on to Plan B).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links