Blackhawk! Bought by ATK

This is a discussion on Blackhawk! Bought by ATK within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Military.com Blackhawk! Bought by ATK April 13, 2010 | Christian Lowe The headline says it all. In the "Industry Intel" category today, ...

Thread: Blackhawk! Bought by ATK

Exclamation Blackhawk! Bought by ATK

Quote Originally Posted by Military.com

Blackhawk! Bought by ATK
    April 13, 2010 | Christian Lowe

The headline says it all.

In the "Industry Intel" category today, Kit Up learned yesterday that our good friends at one of the nation's leading tactical gear design and manufacturing firms, Blackhawk!, has been sold to ammo maker ATK.

ATK’s newly formed Security and Sporting business group, a leading manufacturer of ammunition, optics, reloading and shooting accessories, has acquired BLACKHAWK! Products Group. BLACKHAWK! joins Eagle Industries as part of Security and Sporting’s Tactical Systems division and creates a market force in tactical accessories.

So it looks like ATK is edging into the lucrative tactical gear market by acquiring Blackhawk's vast portfolio of pouches, packs, holsters, headwear and threads.

I'm not sure what the down low is on whether folks at Blackhawk are pleased with the move or how this will affect their employees, but it's a huge move for former SEAL and Blackhawk founder Mike Noell.

The company was founded in 1993 by former Navy SEAL Mike Noell. It all started with a failed pack in a mine field in Iraq that inspired Noell to create his own line of gear to perform when it was needed most. That promise has delivered a full offering of tactical products that have become trusted by a wide range of customers with specialized needs worldwide.

Blackhawk was a private company, so officials wouldn't release the financials. But ATK is a veritable colosus, pulling in upwards of $5 billion annually with an employee base of 18,000 in 22 states.

http://kitup.military.com/2010/04/bl...#axzz0loSsvPn6
    The competition is much stiffer in the tactical gear arena these days. I also have read Blackhawk's quality control has gone way down and lots of cost cuts, so I wonder if that was a motivating factor in the sale? Then again, Mike probably just wanted a boat load of money and retire.

Blackhawk dominated the industry for a long time, and still are a major player. I have a lot of their stuff. But in recent years companies like Maxpedition, Voodoo Tactical, Tactical Tailor, London Bridge and a host of others have really hit the market with excellent quality and innovative products and are clearly after their piece of the pie.

Eagle Industries was around several years before Blackhawk and I have always tried to patronize them since they are a small company located in my home State. But these days, availability of their products to the civilian market is plagued with long wait times because all their stuff is going to military contracts ever since the war on terror started. And now it looks like Eagle Industries has been bought up by ATK as well as Blackhawk.

It will be interesting to see what kind of changes are in store for the Blackhawk line.
    Last edited by Bark'n; April 22nd, 2010 at 06:27 AM. Reason: rearrange photo
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Interesting. I've got a bunch of Blackhawk gear. Wonder what this will do to their selection / pricing. Coolest piece i've got from them is a level III Serpa holster that accepts the Xiphos light on my Sig. Way cool setup. I hope they come out with more stuff now that more heads are in the mix.

Links